Losing interest

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

I wonder if anyone else has been through this and if they have how they came out of it.  I use to really enjoy shooting clays every week without fail i would practice and would usually find a straw bale roll up most weekends however although i still enjoy shooting clays i hardly ever go, especially not to practice.  I had been doing  fair bit of pest control shooting on the farms that i live between but even that has lost its appeal since an unpleasant run in with a very aggressive anti. i have a couple of clay traps set up in the paddock and even that isn't interesting to me at the moment.

Helpful tips to get me out of the rut would be appreciated.

I went through something similar many years ago and ended up not shooting for 15 years. I just sort of drifted away from it due to work, family, life, etc. My advice would be to forget the practice and just shoot registered comps. Keeps you keen and you have something to compare your progress (or not) against. Now I can't wait for the next comp. Practice is a chore and like most chores is best avoided.

DT

PS: im going through a similar thing with motorbikes at the moment. I have two and rarely ride either as my weekends are spent shopping and shooting :( :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if anyone else has been through this and if they have how they came out of it.  I use to really enjoy shooting clays every week without fail i would practice and would usually find a straw bale roll up most weekends however although i still enjoy shooting clays i hardly ever go, especially not to practice.  I had been doing  fair bit of pest control shooting on the farms that i live between but even that has lost its appeal since an unpleasant run in with a very aggressive anti. i have a couple of clay traps set up in the paddock and even that isn't interesting to me at the moment.

Helpful tips to get me out of the rut would be appreciated.
Maybe shooting alone is not for you which a lot of practise is -  alone.  I too prefer competitions as it does give you something to aim for and if you have a few friends to go with might be better on more challenging shoots.

You'd prolly feel better if you'd shot the anti.  Seriously, I don't understand why some ex-cavalry aren't enlisted to just ride over them at the hunts.

Anyway - Contrary to the above I gave up comps more or less and just get together w/ a few like-minded folks, do some BS'ing and some blastinating and generally just kick back and not get all tense about the shooting.  The only organized events I go to are ZZ's and I don't play the money so that is much like the first I mentioned.

If you're not having a fun time quit doing it.  Forcing yourself out to shoot is not gonna make you any happier.  I spend way more time on the bicycle than I do shooting.  But that might just be me so don't be shy about a new or additional diversion.

JMO of course   YMMV

um this is difficult. Yes I fell out with it for a couple of years for simlar reasons to DT family etc oh and a very costly boat to run at the time oh and an even more costly ex mrs nutcase to get rid of. Have also recently fallen out with comp so I shot a totally different discipline for a few months then shot a comp of my usual discipline for the first time in nearly six months then realised it wasn't shooting comp I had fallen out of lust with it was the discipline so went back to my first true love DTL and now hungry again. Of course I have my gundog to train so I have a sort of shooting related interest . Personally I would suggest shoot what you like when you like but not out of some habit or feeling of obligation, oh and get a spaniel you will then have neither time or energy to give shooting that much thought ?

Thanks guys, I think part of the problem is that I put too much pressure on myself, I have 3 August grouse days booked in so I am under pressure to shoot well, especially as I am lucky enough to be going on invites so don't want to let the hosts down, all a bit daunting.  I got to a similar stage with golf a few years back, it's very difficult to get out of!

Thanks guys, I think part of the problem is that I put too much pressure on myself, I have 3 August grouse days booked in so I am under pressure to shoot well, especially as I am lucky enough to be going on invites so don't want to let the hosts down, all a bit daunting.  I got to a similar stage with golf a few years back, it's very difficult to get out of!
Does the pressure you feel to perform well on the August shoots outweigh any pleasure you may get from attending?  If it does perhaps it's best not to go.  I presume as you are invited you'll be with friends.  I've never been but I presume everyone would be so busy shooting that they won't be concerned with what you achieve in any event.

I am a total newbie to shooting but a veteran at life. My first rule in life is If your not happy change it. 

I have not shot for 2 years,.....family issues...moving x2....divorce....no enthusiasm. But I have now changed my life around and my love for shooting has returned. It did help with the guys who I shoot with welcoming me back with open arms, as I was a little nervous about how I would shoot, if my ex would be there, etc etc. 

But seeing everyone again and within minutes I felt so comfortable. Didn't shoot particularly well but had fun and relaxed that's what it's all aout for me at the moment.

So try to relax, shoot with friends and you will have a great time.

wishing you luck PP ?

Does the pressure you feel to perform well on the August shoots outweigh any pleasure you may get from attending?  If it does perhaps it's best not to go.  I presume as you are invited you'll be with friends.  I've never been but I presume everyone would be so busy shooting that they won't be concerned with what you achieve in any event.
Good point, I think the difficulty is that knowing people have paid (in one instance several thousand pounds) on your behalf it puts pressure on you.  The other people will be other clients of the host and not people I know.  Maybe a strange mindset to have, I do get stressed at the thought of letting people down...

Aside from this issue I just seem to have lost all enthusiasm for shooting at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish i could shoot more :(

I seem to be stagnant at C class around 50% av 

Its not getting out enough to shoot that's my problem... 

Most of us go through the low phase of any sport at the 18-24 month phase,  its this time that most people walk away from a sport or hobby,  

get through that slump, and you will more than likely sick with it for life.

Perhaps you need to re evaluate what you want from shooting?  

for me its 3 hrs of no Mrs Claus . ;)   

Only kidding, i'm working on the Olympics  2060 entry card 

:santa:  

Before you give up think about why you started.
I don't  think I'll give up, just feel a bit under whelmed and unenthusiastic with it all, I used to get excited about it, even going to practice, now it feels like a chore to be honest.  I guess trying too hard can make things less fun, I found this in golf when I worked so hard to get back to single figure handicap it didn't feel fun anymore.

I wish i could shoot more :(

I seem to be stagnant at C class around 50% av 

Its not getting out enough to shoot that's my problem... 

Most of us go through the low phase of any sport at the 18-24 month phase,  its this time that most people walk away from a sport or hobby,  

get through that slump, and you will more than likely sick with it for life.

Perhaps you need to re evaluate what you want from shooting?  

for me its 3 hrs of no Mrs Claus . ;)   

Only kidding, i'm working on the Olympics  2060 entry card 

:santa:  
Excellent, thanks Santa, I knew you were real!

Take a month off and see if you miss it. If you do welcome back and if you don't  sell all your gear and you will be a millionaire by Christmas with the money saved. Either way its a win win situation.

PP the following may be too far fetched and I appologise for being out of line if indeed so, however I do find some bits there that rock my boat when I am feeling down:

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/beating-the-black-dog-50710
Thank you, this is interesting, I guess we all get 'fed up' to varying degrees from time to time, luckily I don't suffer to this degree but some things resonate, especially the point about the water not sparkling so much..

Take a month off and see if you miss it. If you do welcome back and if you don't  sell all your gear and you will be a millionaire by Christmas with the money saved. Either way its a win win situation.
That's a good point, it's not until you shoot less you realise how expensive it can be, I think thats the thing about buying cartridges in bulk, they seem free by the time you use them..

I wouldn't worry about that too much, im sure they maybe people there that have paid more and cant shoot for toffee.

Join the cpsa enter competitions or try a different discipline for a while.

I quit comps about 18 months back and I'm not missing them. I just shoot practice for fun and a social thing really. Just do what you feel like doing.

I see you are not a CPSA member?

I wonder if you would be spurred on by the competition side of shooting. 

I drives me to succeed and be the best I can be. 

Set some targets and goals and strive to achieve. 

Maybe that's just me..................

Back