New Silver cased Eley Superb

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamster

I've just e-mailed Eleyhawk about the new batch of Superbs which are now loaded in silver cases instead of the usual transparent ones, basically nocando if this is how it's gonna be. Having shot them side by side with the old transparent ones and the Olympic Blue's the new ones are too punchy with no gain or benefit. I'll be interested in whether they even bother to reply but for now will be on the Olympics and as always looking for a replacement, hopefully at cheaper prices.

Just been shooting with Olympic blues this morning. They seemed to do the job OK, and I've liked them in the past, but this time they were a bit tight in the chambers of my F3.

Cartridges pushed in (they weren't dropping of their own accord) were staying proud of the breech and would foul the top of the standing breech when closing the gun unless I pushed them in further. I won't be buying any more because of the risk of inadvertent damage to my gun as the steel case impacts the blueing.

Please forgive my clumsy explanation of the issue. 

Just been shooting with Olympic blues this morning. They seemed to do the job OK, and I've liked them in the past, but this time they were a bit tight in the chambers of my F3.

Cartridges pushed in (they weren't dropping of their own accord) were staying proud of the breech and would foul the top of the standing breech when closing the gun unless I pushed them in further. I won't be buying any more because of the risk of inadvertent damage to my gun as the steel case impacts the blueing.

Please forgive my clumsy explanation of the issue. 
I also mentioned this issue to Eley regarding the Olympics, myself and others have noticed the exact same thing where roughly 2 or 3 per stand won't drop in the chamber of their own accord. Personally it doesn't bother me too much but it is a sign of lax tolerances. 

I also mentioned this issue to Eley regarding the Olympics, myself and others have noticed the exact same thing where roughly 2 or 3 per stand won't drop in the chamber of their own accord. Personally it doesn't bother me too much but it is a sign of lax tolerances.
Sorry Guys, I am obviously missing something here, but WHY continue to buy what is obviously an inferior product. Eley no longer have a monopoly !

I have been shooting Express 'Power Blues' (plastic) for well over a year now. They have killed everything i have shot at (except for the misses  :) ) I find them really smooth to shoot, clean and for around £165 for 1k i would not buy anything else. Nothing to do with Eleys, but i thought you might like an alternative.

I've just e-mailed Eleyhawk about the new batch of Superbs which are now loaded in silver cases instead of the usual transparent ones, basically nocando if this is how it's gonna be. Having shot them side by side with the old transparent ones and the Olympic Blue's the new ones are too punchy with no gain or benefit. I'll be interested in whether they even bother to reply but for now will be on the Olympics and as always looking for a replacement, hopefully at cheaper prices.
If looking for a replacement have you tried the Hull pro one which are similar price to the superbs I think or superfast at around £166 1K 

I've gone to hull superfast hamster,loved Olympics,cheap and hard-hitting,got fed up with misfires and tight in chambers.getting hull for £166 thousand,low recoil,smooth and great kills? 

hull superfast for me, just ordered 3k at £157 per k :)

I am greatly relieved that I'm not actually suffering from shrinking chambers, but I'm saddened that others have suffered a similar problem.

I am disgusted that such a famous name in British Shooting history should be selling such a sub-standard product. Like most of my advanced years I cut my shooting teeth on Eley Fourlongs as a youngster, progressing to Grand Prix and Maximum. During those paper-cased fibre-wadded years they were the gold standard, the ones you bought because they were the best, the ones in which you had confidence. No more. I have posted here before about poor Eley cartridges. What a crying shame.

Power blues for me at the moment in plastic, find them really good, and in fibre hayward guns own busters are really good.

mike

I'm currently working through a batch of Lyalvales, and after the first slab or so I reckon they're fine. Less than £140 per 1000 from Purbeck Shooting School.

If looking for a replacement have you tried the Hull pro one which are similar price to the superbs I think or superfast at around £166 1K 
I like Pro Ones but supplies down here can be problematic plus they're £220, Superfast don't do 8's and they're 27g. 

CharlesP - bear in mind Eley are merely a front these days, Superbs used to be loaded in Spain I've been told but the new ones are manufactured in Italy apparently. 

I am greatly relieved that I'm not actually suffering from shrinking chambers, but I'm saddened that others have suffered a similar problem.

I am disgusted that such a famous name in British Shooting history should be selling such a sub-standard product. Like most of my advanced years I cut my shooting teeth on Eley Fourlongs as a youngster, progressing to Grand Prix and Maximum. During those paper-cased fibre-wadded years they were the gold standard, the ones you bought because they were the best, the ones in which you had confidence. No more. I have posted here before about poor Eley cartridges. What a crying shame.
Yes, I now drive a Japanese car too !

I like Pro Ones but supplies down here can be problematic plus they're £220, Superfast don't do 8's and they're 27g. 

CharlesP - bear in mind Eley are merely a front these days, Superbs used to be loaded in Spain I've been told but the new ones are manufactured in Italy apparently. 
Hull sporting 100's smooth,hit hard and under the magic 200 i pay 190 ish

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been shooting the Gamebore Velocity + for a while now, awesome cartridge for £150/1000.

I've still got 5000-ish to shoot but I was given a box of the new DTL Elite to test and they are as smooth as silk (I honestly thought there was a problem when I pulled the trigger and barely felt anything until the 40-yard looper I was aiming in front and slightly underneath broke in to lots and lots of pieces) and these are less than £200 a thousand.  I'll be saving an extra £500 to get 10000 when I run out of Velocity.

image.jpeg

I'll be amazed if you receive a satisfactory response from Eley. They ignored my numerous emails of complaint about their shoddy products. I now never buy Eley.

They're the Land rover Defender of cartridge manufacturers. Once a world leader with a proud heritage and amazing customer loyalty but the products basically rubbish!

Most other companies produce cartridges that fit in your gun and fire when required. Eley dare to be different!!!

I've been shooting the Gamebore Velocity + for a while now, awesome cartridge for £150/1000.

I've still got 5000-ish to shoot but I was given a box of the new DTL Elite to test and they are as smooth as silk (I honestly thought there was a problem when I pulled the trigger and barely felt anything until the 40-yard looper I was aiming in front and slightly underneath broke in to lots and lots of pieces) and these are less than £200 a thousand.  I'll be saving an extra £500 to get 10000 when I run out of Velocity.

View attachment 5777
Dan..........they're for Trap and you shoot Sporting!

What about POWER GOLD's ?   :D

Dan..........they're for Trap and you shoot Sporting!

What about POWER GOLD's ?   :D
I'll see if Gamebore can rebrand 10000 for me a as 'ESP Elite' then  :p  and of course we don't see any trap style targets on a sporting or sportrap layout do we ?

I actually have tried a few of the power golds and found them punchier than the Velocity +

Latest posts

Back