Eyesight issues

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knipan

Been shooting, but mostly hunting for the last 10-15 years, more or less from time to time. But in the last six months I got hooked on sporting clays and increased the amount of shooting quite a bit.

The problem is that I’ve not seen the expected development. At first I blamed the gun (a good reason for a new toy), but that didn’t help…After the last couple of shoots where I had a number of misses, that I can’t explain I started to think if it could have anything with my eyesight to do. As I have contacts for nearsighted and astigmatism.

When looking more closely/thinking about it, in about 50% of the cases when mounting the gun I see two barrels/ribs. Closing my left eye, I’m center on target.

Being more aware of this, this accrues while shooting as well and due to this a have a hard time to use the correct amount of lead.

So wondering, what is this for problem? Is there any “cure” for this or is it time to learn shooting with only one eye open?
Thanks in advance.

// J

Been shooting, but mostly hunting for the last 10-15 years, more or less from time to time. But in the last six months I got hooked on sporting clays and increased the amount of shooting quite a bit.

The problem is that I’ve not seen the expected development. At first I blamed the gun (a good reason for a new toy), but that didn’t help…After the last couple of shoots where I had a number of misses, that I can’t explain I started to think if it could have anything with my eyesight to do. As I have contacts for nearsighted and astigmatism.

When looking more closely/thinking about it, in about 50% of the cases when mounting the gun I see two barrels/ribs. Closing my left eye, I’m center on target.

Being more aware of this, this accrues while shooting as well and due to this a have a hard time to use the correct amount of lead.

So wondering, what is this for problem? Is there any “cure” for this or is it time to learn shooting with only one eye open?
Thanks in advance.

// J
If you allow your eyes to look at the end of the gun you will see a double picture, also there is a tendency for your left eye (if you are right handed) to want to look at the end of the gun because it has an uninterrupted view, your right eye for example has to look over the lever and action down the rib and out to the clay. I would take a cautionary look at your eyes, they are all too often blamed, too quickly, for a shooting problem when in fact the eyes are fine, it might just be a technique or bad habit issue. By all means get them tested in case your prescription is out, be interested to see Ed's view.

how come you did not suffer this whilst rough shooting, trying to hard now that its competitive and as matt says more aware of barrell / bead as a result.

just shoot the thing as you have been doing for last ten years or so.

If you allow your eyes to look at the end of the gun you will see a double picture, also there is a tendency for your left eye (if you are right handed) to want to look at the end of the gun because it has an uninterrupted view, your right eye for example has to look over the lever and action down the rib and out to the clay. I would take a cautionary look at your eyes, they are all too often blamed, too quickly, for a shooting problem when in fact the eyes are fine, it might just be a technique or bad habit issue. By all means get them tested in case your prescription is out, be interested to see Ed's view.
Thanks for the input.

My latest check up was no more then three months ago, so should not be out of prescription. No difference if I only point my finger with my arm straight out. I then see two fingers.

how come you did not suffer this whilst rough shooting, trying to hard now that its competitive and as matt says more aware of barrell / bead as a result.

just shoot the thing as you have been doing for last ten years or so.
I shot with my left eye closed. So been working on shooting with both eyes open, since started clay shooting. Also I think that it's easier to find faulty reasons to have missed... I think that you have a point in that I'm more aware of the bead and trying to see lead.

Have you tried to test your eye dominance?

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/tests/eye-dominance.htm

If it shows you are left eye dominant but shoot off the right shoulder, you either need to shut your left eye or try one of the other methods that are available to overcome it (generally putting a bit of tape on the left lens of your shooting glasses).

My husband was found to be left eye dominant.  Couldn't get on with tape or closing his left eye.  He relies on gun speed through a target to generate lead and this seems to help him overcome the problem a lot, although he still has some targets he'll struggle on.

If it shows you are right eye dominant, you need to stop looking at the rib and bead when you've mounted the gun.  If you focus on the target your left eye is less likely to notice the side of the barrel.  I shoot both eyes open, gun up and only ever see the side of the barrel when I'm consciously mounting and checking the rib alignment before preparing to shoot.  Move your eyes away from the rib once you've mounted and look for the target and it shouldn't cause you a problem (provided you are right eye dominant shooting off the right shoulder).

Thanks for the input.

My latest check up was no more then three months ago, so should not be out of prescription. No difference if I only point my finger with my arm straight out. I then see two fingers.

I shot with my left eye closed. So been working on shooting with both eyes open, since started clay shooting. Also I think that it's easier to find faulty reasons to have missed... I think that you have a point in that I'm more aware of the bead and trying to see lead.
over analysis and trying to hard are THE two most important things not to do. imho

If it shows you are left eye dominant but shoot off the right shoulder, you either need to shut your left eye or try one of the other methods that are available to overcome it (generally putting a bit of tape on the left lens of your shooting glasses).

My husband was found to be left eye dominant.  Couldn't get on with tape or closing his left eye.  He relies on gun speed through a target to generate lead and this seems to help him overcome the problem a lot, although he still has some targets he'll struggle on.

If it shows you are right eye dominant, you need to stop looking at the rib and bead when you've mounted the gun.  If you focus on the target your left eye is less likely to notice the side of the barrel.  I shoot both eyes open, gun up and only ever see the side of the barrel when I'm consciously mounting and checking the rib alignment before preparing to shoot.  Move your eyes away from the rib once you've mounted and look for the target and it shouldn't cause you a problem (provided you are right eye dominant shooting off the right shoulder).
Interesting!

If I do the test you linked to (tried others before), I "get it right 90% of the time if i raise my hands quickly. If raising them slow I see it as a mask... having a hard time determin which "aim" to use.

what the *** does that mean? Could it be a lack of dominance?

Thanks!

Could be central or shifting I suppose.  Maybe try a bit of tape on the left lens of your shooting glasses.

Why not book a lesson with a good Instructor  ? You will never 'dry mount' a gun in the same manner as when you are actually shooting at something. A good Instructor would want to see you shooting several differing targets before making any decisions. It may not be an eye problem but more of a gunfit issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

I really need to write an Eye Dominance article...this method is okay, but we should always use at least three methods of assessing someone as using only one does not give us the full picture.

For instance, I've had clients who are left eye dominant with this test, right eye dominant on finger pointing with the right hand then central with the left. We then also need to see where the gun is pointing when up in the shoulder.

If I can get clearance off some clients i'll put up a few images :D

Hunting with shotgun or rifle?

I really need to write an Eye Dominance article...this method is okay, but we should always use at least three methods of assessing someone as using only one does not give us the full picture.

For instance, I've had clients who are left eye dominant with this test, right eye dominant on finger pointing with the right hand then central with the left. We then also need to see where the gun is pointing when up in the shoulder.

If I can get clearance off some clients i'll put up a few images :D

Hunting with shotgun or rifle?
Ed S tested both mine and my husbands when we had a lesson with him and he used a couple of methods.  He concluded that I was the most right eye dominant woman that he'd ever seen.  My husband almost agreed with him, but left the words right eye off the front ;-)

Ha! He knows his onions does Mr S!

Relying on one method only gives a false impression.

Going back over some points raised in earlier threads, lots of perceived eye dominance issues can come from gun fit too, again as soon as I can publish these pics it'll make an interesting gallery!

Many thanks to all of you!

Most of the hunting is with a shotgun, but an old sbs, so different sight picture.

Planning to have a couple of lessions during the summer. But the feeling is that the gun fit.

Ha! He knows his onions does Mr S!

Relying on one method only gives a false impression.

Going back over some points raised in earlier threads, lots of perceived eye dominance issues can come from gun fit too, again as soon as I can publish these pics it'll make an interesting gallery!
Looking forward to see those pictures. And hoping to learn more. Any more tips on ways to learn/test more going shooting this weekend?

You will always see two barrels with two eyes, it's not a problem do not confuse it with cross dominance.

get someone who knows their stuff to look at you, the local optician is pretty clueless as s rule

Latest posts

Back