First registered comp

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbob

So the time has come, entering my first comp tomorrow at the Express Masters. Trying to go with an open mind, but my biggest worry is that the targets will so much harder than I'm use to and make me realise I'm a far worse shooter than I thought. Any general comp tips? 

All I can say is dont worry, shoot as well as you can and enjoy the day. Good luck mate!

try to stay relaxed treat every target as a one target comp do not dwell on misses shoot to hit it do not try and shoot not to miss

So the time has come, entering my first comp tomorrow at the Express Masters. Trying to go with an open mind, but my biggest worry is that the targets will so much harder than I'm use to and make me realise I'm a far worse shooter than I thought. Any general comp tips? 
Let go of that thought right now.  You will come across ones you've probably not shot.  I shot it today in quite strong wind and I didn't do as well as I would have liked 60/100.  A few affected by the wind and presenting differently but that's the way it goes.  Supposed to be less wind tomorrow so hopefully it'll be a little kinder.  It was a fun shoot overall and I did well on the sportrap 21/25 which was even if I say so myself excellent for me in that wind and I even got 10:10 on the pool shoot.  Enjoy it, if you don't do as well as you would like then that just means get out there again and try lots of different grounds.  Best of luck.

I shot this shoot today at the same time as Sian.

Wind was horrendous at times and make the course quite tough and the targets varied a lot.

I'd go find the Pool shoot and have a quick warm up on there (only 10 targets) Which are pretty steady and will get your nerves under control!

The targets are likely to be a step up from what you maybe be used to, it isn't an extreme shoot but it is in my opinion on the stiffer side!

Don't be put off by me saying that! 

Go and attack it, if you don't do as well as you hoped then use it to find areas you can improve or if there are particular targets causing an issue.

But fingers crossed you'll smash it ?

How did you get on dbob.  I shot it today as my first ever registered shoot and got 65. I missed some very easy targets but had a fantastic time.  I thought there were some excellent targets and very little queuing.  Can't wait to shoot another one now.  

Had a complete shocker! 12 on Sportrap and an appalling 32/100. Pretty disappointed with my performance, but as an experience I found it really enjoyable. Great weather, a nice selection of targets and not too much queuing. Never shot Sportrap before so that was fun, if a lot to take in! I don't think the actual targets were that much harder than what I've shot at AGL on a practice round, the problem was me. I think I made all the classic first timer mistakes of trying too hard, over thinking it, chopping and changing styles and generally letting nerves get the better of me. I keep telling myself on a normal day without it being a comp I would have done much better. Confidence has been dented, BUT it hasn't put me off. I can see how people get the competition bug as even though I completely fluffed it I'm keen to get back out there and have another go. Trying not to dwell too much on the result and put it down as experience. 

What a fantastic attitude. That's what I love to hear.  You are spot on about it being addictive. We are already getting ready for the next one at AGL on the 29th may. You are more than welcome to come round with us if you fancy it on the 29th.   I can see that these registered shoots are going to end up costing me a small fortune.  Especially as the Mrs shoots as well.  

I think I made all the classic first timer mistakes of trying too hard, over thinking it, chopping and changing styles and generally letting nerves get the better of me.
Last July was my first competition and my legs shaked with nerves for at least half of the shoot! Although I still get nervous, I am a lot better now. I think the anticipation of how well you think you will do, and being aware of others watching can make you lose the concentration you normally have in practice. After that first competition I've become totally hooked though and I think that the more you shoot competitions, the easier it gets to settle into it.

Glad you enjoyed it and glad the weather was better for you as it's always more pleasant an experience.  So which one next is the question ?

Last July was my first competition and my legs shaked with nerves for at least half of the shoot! Although I still get nervous, I am a lot better now. I think the anticipation of how well you think you will do, and being aware of others watching can make you lose the concentration you normally have in practice. After that first competition I've become totally hooked though and I think that the more you shoot competitions, the easier it gets to settle into it.
I shot the Sportrap first and was shaking with nerves as there's so much to take in and think about. Actually looking back I think I did better in that than the 100 shoot. As you say I think it was the anticipation of doing well that affected my judgment and concentration. Anyway lots to work on and improve. I did the shoot with my A class pal but obviously they are not allowed to give you tips, rightly so, but that does make it hard to work out where you're going wrong at times. 

What a fantastic attitude. That's what I love to hear.  You are spot on about it being addictive. We are already getting ready for the next one at AGL on the 29th may. You are more than welcome to come round with us if you fancy it on the 29th.   I can see that these registered shoots are going to end up costing me a small fortune.  Especially as the Mrs shoots as well.  
thanks I may well do that, although I think it's the 27th as the reg are normally on a Friday, so depends if I can get the time off work.

Latest posts

Back