Need some new glasses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart Dobson

Hey folks,

Newbie here. I'm Stuart, 24 from Suffolk. I've been shooting on and off for the past few years. Got my first gun 2 years ago but until recently I've never had a lot of time to get into it, mostly been pigeon shooting with the odd cock day on local estates. I recently started shooting clays and I'm going to make a much bigger effort to get into it this year because I love it, just never found the time. Plus its a lot easier to just go out to the local clay ground than try and arrange somewhere to shoot pigeons every time too. Also I need regular practice and pigeons aren't the best targets. 

Until now I've been using a fairly cheap set of glasses with 4 lenses. They're "okay" at best. The nose piece isn't adjustable and so they sh*t too high, they let in a lot of light from the sides and the temples are too bulky (as I wear the over ear defenders they get uncomfortable after an hour or so). I don't need prescription glasses (yet) but I'd definitely like a decent set to shoot with.

I have fairly sensitive eyes so I tend to wear fairly dark lenses on a daily basis to avoid squinting and getting headaches, but I like having a selection of lenses to shoot with in different conditions. I've never tried the dark purple but from what I've read I definitely think that might be a good tint for me to try for the brighter days (Could do with some advice on this).

I've been looking around and doing my research, Pillas seem to be one of the top choices but the price is out of my range, maybe one day. The ones I'm currently most interested in are the Randolphs, specifically the Falcons but they all look pretty good. I'd be interested to know what people think of these and/or any alternatives.

One thing I found from browsing the forums is that Ed Lyons seems to be the man to speak to. I've sent him an email but would be interested to hear from others in the mean time.

Stuart

castellani c max!!! have a look and notice the similarity to the Pillas!!

You are correct Ed is most definetly the guy you need to speak to. People will give opinions but he will set you right. Pilla Oakley Randolph castellani are all good.

Ooo I hadn't found Castellani! They're rather smart looking too! I'll have to check them out.

Yeah so much so I am  selling my quite new pillas to get me some castellani ones.

Haha! 

Currently in discussion with Ed at the moment. He suggested a new Pilla "Sportsman" model which might be in my price range. I can't find them online unless they're the same as the Pilla 560s, in which case they look almost exactly the same as the Castellanis so it could be a tough choice between the two. Going by reputation alone thought I might be swayed by the Pillas. I cant find any reviews and further info on the Castellanis.

If it helps

Today is the last day of Sunglasses for Sport,  20% off offer. save £70 off the above. You can order over the phone.

All you need to do is use the voucher code: twentyoff
When you pay at check out the 20% will be deducted. Offer ends on 11th April

Thanks! Unfortunately I've only just seen that and I think I'm too late now.

I've been chatting with Ed and I'm swaying back towards the Raldolphs now as they appear to have a better selection of lenses than the 560 sportsmans do. Plus Ed can provide a kit with only the lenses I want :)

Back