Skeet cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicko

I have recently started to shoot more skeet than sporting.  I initially bought a couple of slabs of RC2 9 1/2 but these have now run out and I am after any suggestions for an alternative.  I only shoot about 75 cartridges a week so costs isn't an issue. 

Any suggestions greatly received. 

I really rate the power blue 9.s. shot my first 100 straight with them. Use a lot of gamebore super steel 9.s now though 

If your not to worried (which it sounds like) - just buy a 9 or 9.5 in any of the popular / readily available brands, put the gun in the right place and they will break them. 

I really rate the power blue 9.s. shot my first 100 straight with them. Use a lot of gamebore super steel 9.s now though 
Now that's good enough for me.  I will give them a try tomorrow and I am fully expecting my first 100 straight now.   :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shot 9s and 7s at skeet and could not tell any difference. At skeet range I also cant see any benefit of expensive fancy or fast cartridges there to close to be able to make any discernable difference. Imho

I have shot 9s and 7s at skeet and could not tell any difference. At skeet range I also cant see any benefit of expensive fancy or fast cartridges there to close to be able to make any discernable difference. Imho
I find I get better kills with 7s.

But more kills with 9s.

I am far from a skeet expert but surely at this distance the shot pattern cannot open fully so cant make that much difference what you use.

not being argumentative but have you done or seen a pattern at skeet range ?

only asking because as I am getting into this skeet thing I am genuinely interested

If your shooting with 1/4 and 1/2 I would say no difference. I use cyl/cyl and 9s as iam not a good shot but it gives me a 96 average.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can drive yourself nuts with this choke / shot size / pattern testing stuff.

I am a dedicated pattern board user and will do it if I change something to re-affirm that its the right thing / direction. Its gives me confidence that the set up is right.

What it has led me to the conclusion of is all this cyl / skt / 1/4 choke talk is mute as it actually tells you nothing based upon a forum discussion. Choke constriction is relative to the bore of the barrel and the thou measurement of your choke from that. Then its about choosing the constriction that gives you the right pattern at the right distance for your gun and cartridge combination.

I also recently learned that even changing ammunition will give you a variance - even changing components in the same cartridge will alter your pattern - so reduce the powder or use a slower burn primer with the same case / wad / shot size and this slows the velocity of the shell - alters the pattern!

As for wether to use 7's or 9's - for me 9's everytime - reason being - you do not need the down range hitting power of 7's for skeet as your using a shotgun at basically 20-25yds - so use the smaller pellet as this simply gives you larger numbers of pellets for the same weight and at only needing 4 or 5 pellets to break a clay do the maths

Average 7.5 28gram cartridge contains - 396 pellets

Average no9 28gram cartridge contains - 580 pellets

I have cylinder cylinder and use 9's. I have shot full and full and 7.5 and not noticed alor of difference orher that dust balls when you bit them with the full and full. 

Gamebore super steel 24g 9's are about 140 a thousand as well so nice and cheap.

Personally I always use 24 gram 9's as I used to shoot a lot of olympic skeet, and genuinely believe that with the lower recoil (even on a fast 24 compared to a similar 28) helps with second target acquisition. Probably just psychosomatic, but if it makes you feel that you are shooting better, IMHO you normally shoot better. :)  

Back