Barrel length

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesP

I'm homing in on my choice of sporter.

I'm now wrestling with the question of barrel length.

I'm told that the vast majority of buyers these days go for 32" barrels. For the last few decades I have shot with shorter ones - 30 or 28.

I'm damned if I can decide - so what does the panel think?

30 inch for me. I have tried a 32 but for me it seemed to be a little slow, but each to their own, I would try before you buy if possible 

34" are definately NO NO, 32" maybe depending on your build height etc., 30" yes I settled for a 30 3/4" Perazzi mx 12 prosport F/Choke.

I'm 6 foot tall, carrying a bit more round the waist than I should.

My thinking is that being used to a 30" game gun then 32 isn't that much of a stretch; there's resale value to think of, too. Naturally if I use extended chokes that adds a bit, but I always have the option of reverting back to flush ones I suppose.

Naturally I have checked my cabinet, that shouldn't be a problem. But I will be putting a layer or two of something a little softer than steel on the edges round the top of the door.

depends on your stature and what feels comfortable. i am 5`7 tall, and 30in is fine, i had a friends 32in mirouko with extended chokes to use a few weeks ago,felt a bit strange , but still managed a few rounds of 20 off 25 fitasc,, so whatever feels best, i dont think it alters sight pictures etc,,as long as it shoots where your looking.

You have to try if you can the gun you want in the different lengths. Dependant on gun and shooting style 32 can take some getting used to. Still getting to grips with mine . often make the mistake of being too far back on pick up. Which with 30' s you seem to be able to get away with a little more.

28 inch  well just no.

30 inch for good normal folk. 

32 inch for the experts and aliens amongst us.

Maybe go back to 30 inch on my next gun.

All this generalisation depends on which gun and how it feels to you. some 32 will be lighter than someone else's 30.

You will be the one shooting it.

Tried a 30 inch guerini the other day , felt light in the barrel compared to my 682 gold e , but handled superb to me. I did well with it.

Majority may well go for 32inch these days but it may not be right for them or you.

The fashion would dictate 32 but then 28 was the fashion years ago.

You are used to 30inch game gun so why try an reinvent the wheel.

Good luck

Jasper

I've shot 30 and 32 equally badly! All down to what feels right I guess.

I am hoping 28" is ideal ?

I will be so hopeless I cant see it making much difference to me ?

having said that in my naivety I would have thought short barrels would be better for sporting so why is this not so ?????

I think it depends a bit on what you want to shoot and where. If you intend to take clay shooting seriously I would go for 32" but if you were thinking of local club and or game shooting I'd go for 30 s. Myself I went to 32" seven years ago and definatly would'nt go back.

well I have taken it VERY seriously for last thirty years ?

I am hoping 28" is ideal ?

I will be so hopeless I cant see it making much difference to me ?

having said that in my naivety I would have thought short barrels would be better for sporting so why is this not so ?????
You will find that on good long sporting targets, a longer barrel makes a clearer picture of the gap you see. Simply put, it exaggerates the act of pointing. If you point at an object, try it with your elbow very bent and then your arm fully outstretched. The big adjustment you will have to make coming from trap, is that you will mostly be shooting a patch of fresh air that the clay isn't yet occupying. So you do need a measuring stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for explanation will. I suppose or rather hope that new discipline new gun will mean that I will not know any different. Just need to learn how to do all this maintained lead and stuff. I have for thirty yrs just shot at it with gun speed taking care of everything. Onwards and upwards

thank you for explanation will. I suppose or rather hope that new discipline new gun will mean that I will not know any different. Just need to learn how to do all this maintained lead and stuff. I have for thirty yrs just shot at it with gun speed taking care of everything. Onwards and upwards
28" barrel is out of fashion because it's a small percentage worse than long barrels in the opinion of many. It isn't a big disadvantage. Enjoy.

It also depends on your shooting style. I shoot with a very deliberate maintained lead and see no difference in lead between 32" and 27" barrels ( although the 32s point better). But swing through shooters tell me it changes dramatically. The same with light and heavy barrels.

I am a mount see it shoot it kind of bloke. I have no idea about lead or such like. Me thinks I am in deep deep doo dah ?

As I keep telling my wife....

its not not how long it is, it's what you do with it that counts!

;-)

p.s, mine is 32"...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back