should i shouldn't i english open

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

am I being stupid to even consider this event, will I make a Pratt of myself with a poor score (do I care, prob not)

shot trap for thirty years

shot the odd all rounder many years ago

only sporting I have done was a charity shoot two yrs ago

only shot driven pheasant on six drives

so......... Do I or don't I, answers on a postcard.....or just post it here.

Yes do it ,lifes too short not have a go,i will bet there will be plenty hitting less than you and no one will take the pee out of anyone having a go.

am I being stupid to even consider this event, will I make a Pratt of myself with a poor score (do I care, prob not)

Yes why not, but do lots of other shoots and practice first.

Do it for the experience yes, but if the think you might pick up a place in a class without any sporting experience i will show my ass in Burton's window.   :lol:

you should go, the atmosphere will be great , the targets will be good they may take a bit of reading as the terrain is woodland and open scrub, you may be shooting down hill as well as up, and at least 2or 3 of the refs are on this forum, so they will be impeccably polite and courteus ( ok one can and will take the pee) but you'll love it

some will take it seriously, some will be out for the day to enjoy the targets, some will slam there spent shells in the bin, some will be elated. Most of us DO NOT shout last pair just as your about to call for the target, and we politely tell you when to stop shooting so you don't have to break your concentration  by thinking ( or asking "how many more ref" 

just have a nice day out, oh, there are plenty of trees and low level fences to tie the dog to also 

There are AAA AA,  A and B class shots sandbagging in a lower class  at every big shoot hoping they can pick up !

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 84 days left before the very first shot is fired at the English Open 2016 at WMSG, Hodnet, Shropshire.

There are at least 3 opportunities to shoot 100 bird competitions that are open to anyone at Hodnet before then. Possibly at least 11  opportunities  to shoot 50 bird practice rounds on a Tuesday afternoon.

So if you think you cannot get enough practice in before May 5th , I wouldn't bother to enter.

On the other hand if you are 'entire' (doggy speak for not having your gonads cut off) get your entry in .

Also Ian you are unclassified at sporting if you shot well on the day you would be but in a class you cannot win ! ( sorry but true )

I  had my shotgun for 2 weeks and shot just a couple of rounds of trap before I shot my first 200 birds international Fitasc Parcour  -  wouldn't miss it for the world.

I  had my shotgun for 2 weeks and shot just a couple of rounds of trap before I shot my first 200 birds international Fitasc Parcour  -  wouldn't miss it for the world.
Yes for the experience but did you think for 1 minute you would win ! 

come and have a laugh , its only a game  ,   as my cheerful mate says  " when they screw the lid on  its forever "    its being so cheerful keeps him going .!

come and have a laugh , its only a game  ,   as my cheerful mate says  " when they screw the lid on  its forever "    its being so cheerful keeps him going .!
Yes very true but there is someone here that thinks he can take the sporting world by storm  :lol:

The first year i started shooting i entered the world fitasc sporting in tiers france,had a crapy old rezzini no experience of fitasc and had never been abroad as a adult.went on my own flew to lyon ,taxi to train station ,train to germain fosse,swap train to vichy,taxi to hotel then find i cant afford hotel so ring home for credit card payment,beg a lift to the ground of other shooters in hotell ,then finaly shoot some of the trickyest targets i have ever seen.But it was a great adventure and i met some amazing people who i have shot with since,i think a run out to hodnet wil be a lot less dounting.

Just come and have fun, it's a lovely ground and I'll get to meet you if you get your backside into gear and take the last spot on the squad.  Six on squad by the way, the other gent I don't know.

Yes for the experience but did you think for 1 minute you would win ! 
Not for a second - however on competition at those levels you sure grow up fast and are invaluable practice + you get to see the big boys doing their magic.

for the record I have no plan on taking the sporting world by storm this is purely a fun no pressure thing to try.

all encouraging so far. Its not like I am not familiar with big shoots I am just not used to the targets but what the hell nothing ventured plus it will be great to meet some forum folk, I particularly look forward to meeting James ?

Latest posts

Back