Eye site testing coloured Battues

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Paul Gag

Guday Guys 

What does the forum think?

Should there not be some sort of colour codeing with regards to the presentation of Battues

I was on a shoot this weekend  and was presented with a Pink battue aprox 40/50yds out situated at the side of a tree fired over the top of the tree looping out through a clear blue sky before showing any belly before promptly diveing to ground .Now I and others could not see the clay so had no chance of shooting it so therefore dropped clays 

some others could see the clay and therefore gained clays 

There was another Battue stand that similar but the clay was black  and therefore more easily spotted

My question is  is this fair Presentation ??

You can't shoot what you cannot see and this may give an unfair advantage to some?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a fine line, agreed a target that cannot be seen by a great many is unfair (pink seems to be a universally despised colour) but youth and visual acuity cannot also be denied whatever you do. I can recall one particular target where I couldn't see it where one or two others were shooting it but then I frequently see people shoot some targets much earlier than me, like low white clays. 

I would say the target you describe was unfair but we have to be careful and not pretend everything is entirely fair or that it should or could be set up to be, because the only way to achieve that is to have floppy 25 yarders galore. 

Many target setters give NO thought to catering for short people and Lefthanders !

Many target setters give NO thought to catering for short people and Lefthanders !
To be fair LH Gnomes are quite rare.... 

Seriously though - maybe the target was set in different light or before weather affected it.  I know I hate pink targets against the sky unless there is bright sunshine... but I'm a little colourblind so there are many combinations that affect me. 

As a target setter who has set targets home and the US and is left handed and 5' 8" "  tall, I can assure Salopian that I was always aware of which side you dress?? left or right and make them shootable for all! Another point is that I never wore my,glasses when setting targets so if I could see them 99% of shooters can see them!

I will say that battues are very hard to get right, at certain times of the day they can become almost invisible depending on the sun!

Colours should be used as a tool to make clays as visible as possible IMO, not as a way of tricking people. 

pink ?  never seen pink targets,, or is it blaze/ orange?

i will say that orange can be hard to see, usually in cloudy conditions, good with the sun behind,  black is good in sky, but not in trees, etc. as said, weather and light conditions change, always try to set ranges that are not facing into the sun,,specially on small grounds where you get the stands in a circle shape around a field etc.

" To be fair LH Gnomes are quite rare.... "         This Gnome is well done !

Especially if he's shooting Lovatt's targets !

Yes there are pink targets, I have never seen pink battues though?
Guday again Guys 

Yes in South Australia thay do believe me

But Guys that's not what I am getting at  

I understand that between 10 to 15% of the population are colour blind ??

Why not standardise matters 

Battues in the sky black 

Battues with vegetation behind them Orange/pink NOT black or green

pink ?  never seen pink targets,, or is it blaze/ orange?
We've been using pink in the woods and for low clays against trees for a couple of shoots, Jim.  They stand out really well against a dark backdrop.  A treat for you when you finally come back!

Latest posts

Back