Quality used guns- recommendations in the South West?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesP

I'm starting to shop around for a Sporter. Although I'm only just starting that particular journey I've narrowed it down to a choice of a few - and some are used versions of more expensive guns. I'm aware that with a used gun there are traders who will stoop very low (bitzas, walloping the lump or fore-end to tighten them up, lying about the age, sticking tape over scarred woodwork - that sort of thing).

Which dealers can anyone recommend within striking distance of Poole? And if anyoine has any horror stories perhaps can you share on here or even PM me?

There are already 2 that won't see my custom under any circumstances...

Which two dont you like Charles? Mulliners are good, Wes Hann is good, Sportsman are ok. Den Stepney is good too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know Messrs Hann & Stepney.

There's one actually in Poole who I would avoid at all costs. 

There's so much advice out there Les, and there's a consensus that I should at least seriously consider a Miroku MK38, so that is on the list. I didn't get on with it brilliantly last Tuesday when I gave it a go at Purbeck (Thanks guys). I suspect a little stock shortening would help, plus a few mm on the comb. But I was astonished at the quality of construction for the price.

Then there's a DT10, which just appeared in the conversation. I'm hoping to shoot that this coming week. I have to say it felt (indoors) like a thing of quality, and maybe it was the weight distribution, maybe it was something else, but it felt very good, very pointable, very nice.

And I've been toying with the idea of an MX8. V springs are attractive, so's the name and approach. And the ones I've shouldered seem to have some of the qualities of the DT10 but in a more refined way, more elegant, less feisty. The proof will be in the shooting, of course!

You may (probably will) consider this a bizarre short list; it's informed by nothing more than personal bias (like my distaste for the more modern Berettas at the lower end of the scale, like my intense dislike of K-guns - purely on aesthetic grounds, stuff like that) but my list isn't set in stone. I've made it known that I'm tyre kicking at the moment, just rubbernecking; I will make a purchase between now (unlikely) and June (much more likely).

What I do know is that my semi-auto is great in all respects except for the fact that the empties rattle off the cage sides and with unerring accuracy batters me on the side of my face. In fact it's more predictable (the exact placement of the empty cartridge case) than the actual shot I've fired. Dammit. And my 686 Special is a great game gun, being light and all that, but 100  bird shoots at 28gm a pop gets a little hurty-of-the-head.

I think you'll enjoy shooting with the DT10.  I love mine.  Balance is good and I find I'm much more confident in taking fast targets than I was with my Silver Pigeon.  I think it's hte different balance and slightly greater weight that makes it swing so well.

well Charles, I've only ever had trap guns! The DT10, mk38 and mx8 are all excellent guns. Yes the mk38 is exceptionally well made and at the price nothing comes close, but that's just my opinion. Dennis Stepney is a gunsmith near Wellington(Taunton), Wes Hann owns Brook Bank shooting ground near cheddar, he's also a good gunsmith. All the three guns handle differently of course.

Avalon in Street (near Glastonbury) have a pretty big stock in the store: you might not buy from there, but there's plenty of guns (including various versions of some models) to try and get a feel for.

Coombe farm sporting near Crewkerne have new and used mk38s and a few used dt10s 

Well Charles, I can vouch for Sportarm & Avalon - the wife bought second hand from Sportarm and we tend to get our cartridges from there too, and I bought new from Avalon (one of those more modern Beretta you dislike (692) - I visited all the local Beretta stockiest for one with decent wood and finally found one at Avalon).

Get to the shooting show next weekend?  All and sundry will be there with plenty of stock.

You said you didnt like the MK38?  Is indeed incredible value for the money and was on my shopping list, along with a couple of Gurini, but once I shot the 692 that was it for me....

Oh and do try Greenfields in Salisbury - bought my B425 from there and cannot fault their service.

Good luck in your search.

James

Jimmybh - yes I like the people at Sportarm. My 686 Special came from them ages ago. I didn't realise they were a realistic source of cartridges...

It's not that I didn't like the MK38-I'm pretty sure it was fit issues.

Thanks everyone, much food for thought

Charles, get out and try a few! It's the only sane way to do it!

Purbeck should be holding a try before you buy day next Saturday good place to try a few out I think,if you choose to buy one from them they sort gun fit out too for you

Les I know you're quite right about getting outr and trying a few. It's the word "sane" that has me bothered.

Sir Missalot, yes, Purbeck is where I tried the MK38, and it's where I shoot. It's important to note that the "sorting out gun fit" doesn't go as far as actually doing any required alterations, it's more a question of telling you what you need to have done and recommending where to get it done. They are nice people there, and I have already established a few things.

Having thought about it overnight I reckon my distaste for Berettas shouldn't prevent me from trying the 69x series, I have seen a few about and the owners are generally pleased with them. I understand that they feature an ejector system that one can easily disable - that's a thing that I view very poositively.

Les I know you're quite right about getting outr and trying a few. It's the word "sane" that has me bothered.

Sir Missalot, yes, Purbeck is where I tried the MK38, and it's where I shoot. It's important to note that the "sorting out gun fit" doesn't go as far as actually doing any required alterations, it's more a question of telling you what you need to have done and recommending where to get it done. They are nice people there, and I have already established a few things.

Having thought about it overnight I reckon my distaste for Berettas shouldn't prevent me from trying the 69x series, I have seen a few about and the owners are generally pleased with them. I understand that they feature an ejector system that one can easily disable - that's a thing that I view very poositively.
reliability issues and GMK's complete inabality to provide decent customer service is a good reason to have distaste for new berettas,try a Gold e or or a dt10 which will be a much better buy secondhand!

only ever bought 2 new guns a b425 which i will never sell and an a400 that went back 3 times before i traded it for one with less problems and comes out for the Beretta world/benelli SP auto,any more than that and it will probably need to go back for more work :wink:

Ladds of Crediton are a very good Devon Shotgun Dealer and they have a clay trap behind the store so that you can have a go while you are there.

reliability issues and GMK's complete inabality to provide decent customer service is a good reason to have distaste for new berettas,try a Gold e or or a dt10 which will be a much better buy secondhand!

only ever bought 2 new guns a b425 which i will never sell and an a400 that went back 3 times before i traded it for one with less problems and comes out for the Beretta world/benelli SP auto,any more than that and it will probably need to go back for more work :wink:
Had a beretta gold e once would'nt touch another one with a sh-ty stick. screw came out of the adjustable trigger locking it in the back position jamed up the gun with a live cartridge in the spout. Apart from that it handled awful far to light and unstable.dt10 feels a lot better to me.

I'm starting to shop around for a Sporter. Although I'm only just starting that particular journey I've narrowed it down to a choice of a few - and some are used versions of more expensive guns. I'm aware that with a used gun there are traders who will stoop very low (bitzas, walloping the lump or fore-end to tighten them up, lying about the age, sticking tape over scarred woodwork - that sort of thing).

Which dealers can anyone recommend within striking distance of Poole? And if anyoine has any horror stories perhaps can you share on here or even PM me?

There are already 2 that won't see my custom under any circumstances...
Charles , Dennis Stepney is the man. if your looking at DT10 and Mx8. I had him sort the bolt out on my Mx8 super work. Two of the lads have there DT10s there now with stock work and servicing. Hes a busy man a visit and booking is required. A couple of hours for us to get there from Poole.

Normally has a good selection of guns in stock especially P guns he loves em.

Is it me or have Beretta lost some of there quality. I keep hearing of shooters have problems with the latest and greatest.

I shot with a guy a couple of weeks ago at the National Clay Shooting Center who had  Black and Red 692 i think brand new. It had jammed shut with a live one in the top barrel.  Scary.. Once cooled and a lot of swearing it opened again. that went straight back.

Whats going on at GMK have they speard them selves to thin or cut back on production costs trying to make a Doller. :cool:

Is it me or have Beretta lost some of there quality. I keep hearing of shooters have problems with the latest and greatest.

I shot with a guy a couple of weeks ago at the National Clay Shooting Center who had  Black and Red 692 i think brand new. It had jammed shut with a live one in the top barrel.  Scary.. Once cooled and a lot of swearing it opened again. that went straight back.

Whats going on at GMK have they speard them selves to thin or cut back on production costs trying to make a Doller. :cool:
Gaz, this apparent quality issue with Beretta seems to have been going on for a few years now, more or less from when the 69 series of guns appeared. 

This sort of stuff is precisely what steers me away from modern Berettas. That and the fake wood.

Thanks guys for the tips.

Latest posts

Back