What is the advantage of very extended chokes?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

I understand that extended chokes are easier to switch and as such help (or distract) a shooter.  Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit to the 50mm extended chokes?

May be to add a little weight to the end of the barrels to alter the balance.

They nip the wad as it exits.but at just the right time to ensure a perfect pattern . If its not quit right a unicorn appears with a wand and corrects the error and also adjusts the shot flight line in the direction of the target. 

Other than that probably sod all.  I've never done any scientific testing to prove onevway or the other though. 

They nip the wad as it exits.but at just the right time to ensure a perfect pattern . If its not quit right a unicorn appears with a wand and corrects the error and also adjusts the shot flight line in the direction of the target. 

Other than that probably sod all.  I've never done any scientific testing to prove onevway or the other though. 
That or marketing. 

choke tubes  a  measured tube  ,  yes different materials and weights  but still a measured tube ,      too much fuss  .   :yell:     

I suspect nothing. Best pattering gun we ever had was a Miroku MK60 fixed choke...but that is not what shooters want to hear :wink:

I believe they are an extension  see what I did there?  of the "mine's longer than yours" and "neener  neener neener"  approaches to most anything.

This is also quite evident in the "some is good more is better too much is never enough" marketing of 32" and 34"(!) barrel O/U guns

Last edited by a moderator:
If we consider the marketing hype it is claimed that a more gradual taper enhances pattern?

Now if we consider that where the choke sits in the barrel will be a larger diameter than the immediate barrel bore (stepped) then it gradually tapers to the effective nominal choke constriction. 

Are we really to believe that the manufacturers use varying tapers for flush chokes and extended chokes? The permutations would be many and varied.

I think it could well be sales talk.

I cannot believe that the original manufacturer would disadvantage his gun by not giving it the best possible choking and therefore diminish his sales share by causing other people to buy other guns?

Simply marketing hype i do believe that some may be 0.00000001% better with the specific cartridge they were tested with if at all ;)

Next invention will be a choke cam to see it in action!

I understand that extended chokes are easier to switch and as such help (or distract) a shooter.  Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit to the 50mm extended chokes?
What chokes are you talking about and in what gun have you seen them?

If we consider the marketing hype it is claimed that a more gradual taper enhances pattern?

Now if we consider that where the choke sits in the barrel will be a larger diameter than the immediate barrel bore (stepped) then it gradually tapers to the effective nominal choke constriction. 

Are we really to believe that the manufacturers use varying tapers for flush chokes and extended chokes? The permutations would be many and varied.

I think it could well be sales talk.
As with everything else in the aftermarket to improve gun performance there is NO empirical data of any kind.  I'm talking nothing!  Let's see a side by side randomly selected cart set of patterns analysed by modern methodology that removes the BS from the equation.

And AFAIC the long taper contention defeats the choke effect at some point.  Tho it would be difficult to make the taper long enough to do that.  

I cannot believe that the original manufacturer would disadvantage his gun by not giving it the best possible choking and therefore diminish his sales share by causing other people to buy other guns?

Simply marketing hype i do believe that some may be 0.00000001% better with the specific cartridge they were tested with if at all ;)

Next invention will be a choke cam to see it in action!
Yeah - I'm sure Perazzi is wondering how to make their guns better and get a decent rep, eh?  

Are they not designed for tall people, so they can rest there barrels on there toe without stretching the arm?

Advertising, make a smart looking extended choke with your name and logo on it and hay presto walking adverts at every ground. And they pay you for the privilege 

Latest posts

Back