Great Britain vacation questions

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tron

Hello all, it's been a very long time since I've been across the pond and was wondering about when a good time of year to come visit Great Britain.  The wife and myself are planning for next year, perhaps May of 17'.  We would like to simply drive the countryside and stay at B&B's along the way and perhaps visit a gun club here and there.

Any advise appreciated! 

may or June I would say, schools not on holiday and weather usually good (for uk) windsor, Dorset jurasic coast, Cornwall, Cumbria, scottish borders galloway ish, yorkshire dales then go home nothing else worth looking at imo

await incoming

may or June I would say, schools not on holiday and weather usually good (for uk) windsor, Dorset jurasic coast, Cornwall, Cumbria, scottish borders galloway ish, yorkshire dales then go home nothing else worth looking at imo

await incoming
Ips I am disappointed no mention of Wales at all and there are some beautiful places to visit.

It depends on what kind of weather you're looking for. If you like rain come anytime but if its sunshine try the 11th of August but plan on leaving on the 12th.

If you are flying to Gatwick, or even Heathrow, then try and spend a day or two in Sussex.

May is my favourite month............pull over down a country lane and hopefully hear a Cuckoo or Song Thrush calling. The candles on a Horse Chestnut want some beating in the Spring sunshine.

A visit to Lewes in East Sussex is a must and I'm told that there is a very popular brewery there!

Usually between the 1st & 2nd week of May, the English Open Sporting Championship is held, but this may incur some extra travelling...........if its at Southdown then you're laughing.

Hope to see you there.............. :clover:

ps if you're not bringing your old favourite over then I'll sort you out with a twelve :D

Prob get some stick for hhis from fellow northerners but you have to spend acouple of days in the Westminster part of London. Do the Tower and walk from there to westminster bridge and up to Buc palace. From there go throght the park upto  Trafalgar aquare and carry on to Leicester Square and theatre land and see a show. If youngave time visit the gunshops on St James  Street.  That just about covers off anything worth seeing in London in a short time before going elsewhere. 

Outside London What others have said including Snowdonia in Wales.. 

Just stay away from the outskirts of most cities and anywhere in a seaside town after 7:30 unless your comfortable with Zombie Apocalypses. 

North Wales is stunning plus it's not far one of the top sporting grounds in the country, West Midlands Shooting Ground at Hodnet.  If you want countryside, Cumbria and the lakes, if you want fantastic, West Coast Scotland, Glen Coe, Kinlochleven (excellent seafood at the http://www.lochlevenseafoodcafe.co.uk/), Oban (fresh seafood on the pier), you can even ride the Hogwarts express from Fort William to Mallaig and the best fish and chips in the world period on Tobermory pier!

Last edited by a moderator:
Prob get some stick for hhis from fellow northerners but you have to spend acouple of days in the Westminster part of London. Do the Tower and walk from there to westminster bridge and up to Buc palace. From there go throght the park upto  Trafalgar aquare and carry on to Leicester Square and theatre land and see a show. If youngave time visit the gunshops on St James  Street.  That just about covers off anything worth seeing in London in a short time before going elsewhere. 

Outside London What others have said including Snowdonia in Wales.. 

Just stay away from the outskirts of most cities and anywhere in a seaside town after 7:30 unless your comfortable with Zombie Apocalypses. 
Well, I am from the Detroit area....those folks in the big D are living in Mad Max times there, so a Zombie Apocalypses would be like a Boy Scout convention.

Come to West Dorset, nice place, nice pubs. Shooting..... well not much left here now I'm afraid and if it's trap shooting you want.......well in Dorset there aint none left mate! Last year we got light bulbs, apparently we get the electricity in 2017!  We have also started to get inside toilets, next year we get inside plumbing!! It's all fun in West Dorset.  :lol:

les

you got all that???

don't know yer born mate, I have no gas no drainage no sewage no street lights. We do have inside bog well bucket.

les

you got all that???

don't know yer born mate, I have no gas no drainage no sewage no street lights. We do have inside bog well bucket.
Yes Ian, we live the high life in Dorset mate! Our local council is still run by the Druids, not saying that we are behind the times, but we only have three political parties where I live, The Druid Party, The Saxon Party and The Dane Party. Anyway in another half an hour or so I shall be off to the local tavern for a flagon or two of ale. The bar person is a real character, shoulder length straggly hair, a beard, tribal tattoos on both arms and carries an axe most of the time, but she's actually a very nice woman in general!  :lol:  

I think it has already been said but the west coast of Scotland is majestic. There you will find some of the loveliest beaches to be found in Britain together with scenery to take the breath away and in the evening at the sundown the cry of the curlew... what an atmosphere! The best seafood available on the planet and the finest malt whiskeys. If you are into fishing some great trout hill lochs to fish as well as spate rivers which can deliver you a nice salmon ,grilse or sea trout. Of course there is always a downside nothing can be perfect... have ye heard o the Scottish midge? You can barely see the wee b's but the have teeth like alligators so weapon grade insect repellent is an absolute  must! Not many things I miss about the UK but...

I think it has already been said but the west coast of Scotland is majestic. There you will find some of the loveliest beaches to be found in Britain together with scenery to take the breath away and in the evening at the sundown the cry of the curlew... what an atmosphere! The best seafood available on the planet and the finest malt whiskeys. If you are into fishing some great trout hill lochs to fish as well as spate rivers which can deliver you a nice salmon ,grilse or sea trout. Of course there is always a downside nothing can be perfect... have ye heard o the Scottish midge? You can barely see the wee b's but the have teeth like alligators so weapon grade insect repellent is an absolute  must! Not many things I miss about the UK but...
. I forgot about the midges, I tend to stand about 2m from the wife, she's a midge magnet ..

Should you happen to be in Yorkshire, then visit Coniston Hall. Shooting ground, Trout lake, Bird of Prey centre, and Hotel on site. Not too far from Harrogate, York and Skipton, along with other historical Yorkshire towns. A superb shooting ground that has excellent food, Trap, Skeet and Sporting. Club guns too.

Latest posts

Back