Properly Waterproof Clay Shooting Jacket

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordieboy

Morning all

so then, I have a Musto Clay shooting jacket which is a great fit, robust but no waterproof in the slightest.  I want a 100% Waterproof and Windproof Jacket with small collars and no hood (they get in the way of my cheek and spoil gun mounting).

Any takers on this, and recommendations at all?

Cheers

Golf wear from The Golf Shop or SportsDirect   does what it says on the tin. 

Morning all

so then, I have a Musto Clay shooting jacket which is a great fit, robust but no waterproof in the slightest.  I want a 100% Waterproof and Windproof Jacket with small collars and no hood (they get in the way of my cheek and spoil gun mounting).

Any takers on this, and recommendations at all?

Cheers
I have two lined Musto clay shooting jackets and although I don't recall standing in a monsoon I have to say they seem to be adequately water proof ! It might be worth getting some spray on water proofing compound and see how that works ? 

Hmmm...my Musto winter jacket has never leaked either. Even after a sodden days Sim shooting wales.

DT

My 15 year old Musto fleece lined jacket has started to leak at the shoulders...how long is the guarantte for?

A golf jacket tends to have no insulation though so you need thermals.

I have this:

musto-evolution-clay-shooting-jacket-i5102ba1630a72.jpg

Musto evolution clay shooting jacket. I use the sleeveless version in the summer.  This has had a few thorough tests in wet conditions in the last few months and let not one drip of water through.  Its magic. 

I have waterproofed it with Nikwax and that worked once or twice.  "Ordinary Rain"  :blink:  (Don't laugh), is okay, but persistent horrid Sh177y rain does get through it.  It is great ordinarily, but it has let me down and I can't remember where I bought it.  

I have been looking at Seeland stuff.  I have a Harkila Jacket which is awesome....but a little bulky for shooting with its high collar which seems to get in the way.   :mellow:

I've just had a look at the golf stuff, but they don't have nice big pockets for my shells.   :huh:

My SIMMS fishing gear which is good quality gore-tex has never let in a drop in 17 years.............now I feel bloody old.... :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
if its raining that bad that you need 100% waterproof one should stay indoors with a cigar and a nice malt

I wear Golf water proof pullovers. 

Then my skeet vest. 

Saying that I've chosen not to shot this winter unless the target has wings and feathers. 

So far it's been very pleasant but I have 2 Fitasc shoots in Feb so the waterproofs may be required. 

I wear Golf water proof pullovers. 

Then my skeet vest. 

Saying that I've chosen not to shot this winter unless the target has wings and feathers. 

So far it's been very pleasant but I have 2 Fitasc shoots in Feb so the waterproofs may be required. 
You shoot in the summer up here with Lorraine...you will need your waterproofs soon enough!!!

My 15 year old Musto fleece lined jacket has started to leak at the shoulders...how long is the guarantte for?

A golf jacket tends to have no insulation though so you need thermals.
I know of someone who had a 5 years old Highland replaced F.O.C. !

I have the original Musto black Gore-tex jacket, absolutely waterproof but anything over -2 deg and you end up like a boil in the bag chicken and it is unlined.

I rather like the thought of a waterproof pullover. I know that a lot of companies (including SIMMS), use cheap chinese equivalents for Gore-tex.  My Harkila is excellent quality and totally waterproof.  To that end I think I need to do a bit of shopping in 'actual' shops instead of online and see the quality myself.  In the meantime, a fancy red or blue golf jumper sounds like a good idea.  Anything that enhances my look of daftness is always a good purchase!!  :afro:

Latest posts

Back