Moving Over To The Dark Side

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilR

I'm now the proud owner of an MK38 sporter so will be a hedge monkey for the winter months, just saying.

As an aside I was down visiting relatives in Weymouth on Sunday and called into Southern Counties for a comfort break. 

The clubhouse area has been turned into an antiques and collectables emporium, I was fully expecting to see Les on display there. The gun shop was open and I had a chat to Bert, it seems business is good still. 

The cafe area is very much reduced in size.

I didn't see Kevin Newton as his sporting layout isn't open on Sundays.

The place is a shadow of its former self and a sad loss to shooting, it's a place I've been going to since the mid 80's. I admit I don't miss the journey to and from it via the A303 though.

Well Phil, I'm still on display up there from time to time, I pop up to the gun shop now and again and yes they do say they are doing quite well. When I go up there I sometimes wander around the old trap layouts, it saddens me hugely and annoys me even more!

I've not seen Kevin Newton either and I've been the on weekdays! 

Good luck with the hedge monkey stuff Phil.  :)

I've seen Kevin. :smile:  Very sad place to go to. There is a small chance in March we might see some DTL all depends on finish date for Solar contract.

Fingers crossed.

Just booked into the English Open sporting at Hodnet. I hope it's trap in the trees rather than the often heard of skeet in the woods ???

Just booked into the English Open sporting at Hodnet. I hope it's trap in the trees rather than the often heard of skeet in the woods ???
Its a fair bet hodnet wont be skeet in the woods or trap in the trees.

Exactly why I'm there to shoot it. Hodnet has a reputation for testing targets and if I'm going to shoot some sporting I might as well shoot the best.

well Phil if it makes you feel any better since my first game season I too feel the urge to shoot some coming towards and going sideways stuff at some point. I even fancy doing a reg shoot but I would need some kind soul to hold my hand. I don't even know were reg stuf is shot oop north.

who would have thought that two die hard old trap duffers would be turning odd.

well Phil if it makes you feel any better since my first game season I too feel the urge to shoot some coming towards and going sideways stuff at some point. I even fancy doing a reg shoot but I would need some kind soul to hold my hand. I don't even know were reg stuf is shot oop north.

who would have thought that two die hard old trap duffers would be turning odd.
I think it must be my medication that's done it.  

yes I too will use that excuse.

just looked on cpsa and it seems even reg sporting oop north is none existent. I knew my dad leaving the RAF and making us move from Wiltshire to the god forsaken frozen north was a poor idea.

.Blackpool, Spennymoor, MickleyHall, Coniston, Worsley (Manchester clay shooting club), Crabtree (2 miles from me, non registered).....

Plenty to choose from...

What do you mean 'turning odd'??
you know ..... Odd.

.Blackpool, Spennymoor, MickleyHall, Coniston, Worsley (Manchester clay shooting club), Crabtree (2 miles from me, non registered).....

Plenty to choose from...
some of these like Coniston are reg then ? Didn't see any maybe didn't look far enough on calendar. Anyway its for end of trap season to prep for game season plus I need a game gun first one wth fixed chokes not one of these faffing about multi jobs

you know ..... Odd.

some of these like Coniston are reg then ? Didn't see any maybe didn't look far enough on calendar. Anyway its for end of trap season to prep for game season plus I need a game gun first one wth fixed chokes not one of these faffing about multi jobs
'turning odd'? suggests that you weren't 'odd' already :)

As for the game gun what you need is a very nice (read as-new) 30 inch Beretta 686E multi-choke sporter.

And it just so happens I have one for sale :)

You know it makes sense to stick with what you know ;)

DT

yes true.

thing is as much as I like the 686 I don't really want a multi, I do not consider them traditional enough to compliment my game shooting attire.

yes true.

thing is as much as I like the 686 I don't really want a multi, I do not consider them traditional enough to compliment my game shooting attire.
Don't they do flush chokes for them? Nobody would know.. Game shooting, more than any other shooting is where nobody sees what gun you have. You all stand miles apart.

I know what you mean will but I just dislike multis.

MU108 Vostock skeet gun, 26" Barrels Tula choke and shoot B&P MB Superstar 36gm live pigeon shells, size 7, fibre wad fastest production shell made in its day, used to sell 1000's for the high pheasant boys,  no multi chockes (no choke at all, but does the job with correct ammo),enviro friendly shells (fibre wad), no ejectors so you dont leave cases everywhere, you wont waste ammo cos they hit hard on the bird and pocket... ideal set up for sporting and game.....

Back