Grimsthorpe FITASC Reg 100 - 21/22nd Nov

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
Back to earth with a bump for me... after a FITASC PB a couple of weeks ago, and an excellent 'practice' day at College Farm on Friday, I ventured to Grimsthorpe with GavB to meet a few others from the site (Jem0911, Sian et al) for 100 FSP reg. 

Heard horror stories about Saturday, very windy, very cold - so we wrapped up warm as it was reading -2c in Berkshire as we left.  Wind had died, but it was still very chilly as we started on the Car Park layout.  There was a tricky high teal that was shot edge on from peg 1, and a fast crosser that cause a few people problems. 

We moved onto the Arena layout with a couple of tricky high quartering birds from Peg 1 - and a low incomer, with some high crossers on Peg 2 and 3 - we had a fairly lengthy delay as a trap on the tower broke, and the replacement then broke - bad luck all round, but it was a great layout.

Third layout for us was Browning - with high crossing midi that cause a few problems, especially when on peg 3 it became a fast going away overhead.  Some creative use of space on this layout, with trees really focusing the attention. 

Final layout was super tough for me - first peg featured some edge on birds diving into crops. As we moved round the pegs it was easy to see how those were misjudged and needed a lot more lead... there was a super quick battue which needed some quick footwork to get onto. 

Overall an excellent mix of targets, and despite some delays - everything was well run and presented. I struggled with doubles today, hitting 1/4, 2/4 and not really getting my setup right for anything in a double.  Timing was definitely off - but I know I don't shoot well in the cold so it was maybe not the best day for me. 

As always the Grimsthorpe team are very welcoming and we had a great day, with a fun squad and some decent shooting. 

It was a good day, good fitasc at a lovely ground, shame about the waiting around but at least we amused ourselves.  We all suffered on that last layout - too cold by then, tired, no concentration, light going and I think the most difficult of the layouts.  Kept forgetting about my second birds in a pair - wally.  

How lovely, I always forget to take pictures when I am out and about.  It was fun despite the breakdowns and the cold.

A very enjoyable day out in good company, which is what Fitasc is all about. My first visit to Grimsthorpe, a ground I have always wanted to shoot since getting into Fitasc. The targets were an excellent mixture with some pretty big gaps needed at times, which is what I was looking forward to most (mashing the A bird mini from peg 3 on the car park layout was very satisfying!)  We had the best of the weather over the two days by all acounts to. I felt I was shooting Ok until the breakdown then I lost concentration and didnt really get myself going again, letting a few too many slip away due to lack of focus. The last layout was the hardest for me as there were a lot of edge on clays, I struggled to judge their speed and distance, so plenty of misses on that one! I set a  Grimsthorpe goal of getting over 50% as my shooting up until last Friday has been woeful. I'm confident I managed that. Plenty to take away from the day in terms of how I can better manage the elements and delays. Really looking forward to visiting  again, big thanks to Grimsthorpe and my squadmates for a top day out. :)   

I shot this on Saturday and it was cold and windy.  Hitting the A bird on car park on peg 3 was very satisfying, GavB.  The droppers,in the field were tough to read.  Best layout was Arena, followed by car park, browning and then,field.  

Cracking day out

Good arrows Jeremy.

car park 18,

arena 20,

15 browning (missed 5 singles on hoop 3, muppet), 

13 gates, just made an arse of 2 droppers and fast looper

Really enjoyed this. Always wanted to shoot Grimsthorpe and wasn't disappointed, will defo be back next time! 

Finished on 86 and missed 3 out of the last 4 on pairs ?

Car park 19 

Aena 24

Browning 22

gates 21 

Thanks, how far is grimsthorpe from you Pete? Do you fancy doing the next one? 

About 4 to 5 hours mate but would travel that to shoot with you 

Ricky and  mark  your all top boys and enjoyed my time shooting 

with you in 2015 let's hope 2016 will be as good for us !! 

Shot Grimesthorpe quiet abit years ago they held the biggies then 

British English etc 

Reactions: WB
Back