Join World Sporting ..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkO

Sporting Clay Shooters not registered yet with World Sporting can
join us FREE at our web site www.WorldSporting.net

CPSA shooters can now submit their last two sporting scores enabling them to have a
starting handicap for World Sporting events if they wish.  Otherwise they will be awarded
a handicap based on unknown stands for their first shoot.

Newly registered shooters that have not shot their first shoot and UHF is returned when
Checking your Handicap at site can use contact form to get in touch and gain
a starting handicap for their first shoot too, using their last two CPSA scores.

Visit  www.WorldSporting.net to see next events and Join.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be good if someone could explain what this is all about and why we should need to register with another organisation which claims "World" status when it seems to be three grounds. Some top shooters have joined but the website gives little clue as to who is behind it or why.

Is this the start of some rivalry to the CPSA?

Come on someone - spill the beans so we can make a judgement before signing up blind if anyone wants to!

The grounds are not in my neck of the woods but I see that a top Devon shooter has joined.

I feel the same, Robert. A new organisation really should be sufficiently transparent to publish the names, the raison d'etre, and the aspirations. 

It's not a confidence inspiring website is it?

This has been around for several years nothing new. You get a handicap to add to your actual score to win prizes. Based on your scores from last shoots averages.two prize funds run at each shoot . scratch and handicap added. Gives everyone a chance of a pick up. Averages updated WEEKLY. To catch the baggers. Good system , well run usually .real shame theres not more grounds on board.check out the web site for a fuller and more comprehendible explanation.  I would shoot more of these if the grounds were available. 

Thanks for the comments and web site covers most you need to know of how it works.

More grounds will be running shoots in your areas next year so will give more sporting
shooters the chance to shoot competitions.

Yes I  have been running this for many years now and when shooters and ground owners realise
they deserve something better then it will really take off!!

2016 could be a really good or just more of the same...

Happy New Year!

"More grounds will be running shoots in your areas next year so will give more sporting
shooters the chance to shoot competitions"

you said this last year and still the only place to shoot it is Orston.

Hi MarkO, I read your post (and reply) with a level of interest and wanted to provide some feedback.

Importantly I want to clarify this my feedback style is ..... direct.  That said it's not intended to be rude or disrespectful.

That said, these are my observations are:

Regarding the vision/intent - In short, you could achieve a huge amount by being succinct and clear on the website (and here) what the intention of your company(?) is, or whatever the structure is ie non profit, for profit, something else?  - that said, the fact that I don't know says a great deal to me...

My sense is that you are looking to develop a series of competitions that employs handicap system that encourages growth and development of individuals within the sport and provide opportunity for all levels of shooter to be engaged in friendly/healthy competition - and get a chance to win some money along the way?

If that's what it is, you need to state it - and clearly - because let me be clear, it sounds fantastic!  

That said what you replied with and written on the website certainly doesn't convey that message.

How to go about it:

1. Build out the 'About' Page to state what you're trying to achieve and what you're not trying to achieve - tell a story of how the new system is awesome (but don't go making disparaging remarks about the competitors system)

2. Create a 'Frequently Asked Questions' Page - and post answers to those frequently asked questions :)

The website itself #1 - In short you desperately need to hire a web developer to update the template/format/structure.  The page looks dated at best and like a set of ads classifieds at worst.  CMS and website templates can be had for 50 quid that would make your online presence look far more simple/elegant and professional.

The page is dynamic and doesn't automatically size for mobile/table/web experience. 

How to go about it:

1. Buy a new template or hire a web developer

2. Remove at least 50% of the menu options - there's seemingly dozens of them down the side of the page - it's overwhelming

The Website itself #2 - A questions and a statement, why do you have so many advertisements?  You can get solid/reliable hosting for $9USD a month and not have any advertisements at all.  When I look at your site i'm turned off by the not-so-pleasant layout and even more so because 30+% of the real estate is advertisements.

How to go about it:

1. Remove at least 50% of the advertisements that you have

2. Stick to one ad positioning format format - ie banner or sidebar ads, not both

Attracting new clubs to the format - This needs to be a significant focus and should have a clear section on the site - Why should they join this league? What are the benefits? What investment is required? What kind of exposure will they receive? Who runs the events?  My educated guess would be you don't have more places signing up because you don't have a compelling vision for these things and they're not going to invest their very limited  time unless they can see a tangible return - you need to outline what that return is to get them in the door.

Ok - I have lots more to add however i've read this feedback and it's a solid start.  I sincerely don't know how you (or anyone else for that matter) will respond however I do hope that it provides some inspiration/feedback to raise the bar and refresh with content and a format that is engaging and professional.

Regards

Adam

p.s - I have a professional background in all things e-commerce/customer service/web services/IT/user experience(you get the idea) - I therefore sincerely hope they are taken as constructive feedback and not just blathering criticism.

Hi Adam
Thanks for yor comments, agree on the menu. Adverts are mainly from sponsors.
Maybe a bit dated but not keen on cms or wordpress sites.

I am interested to know if users find any problems finding results, shoot dates etc

Site will change but more interested in the shoots for now.

As for grounds and clubs most of them are wrapped up with their business and battle for survival
so a slowish process of making contact, visiting and working with but getting there!

More than happy for you to write some new updated content for key areas mentioned above.
Let me know...

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, appreciate your response. 

Hi Adam
Thanks for yor comments, agree on the menu. Adverts are mainly from sponsors.
Maybe a bit dated but not keen on cms or wordpress sites.
Mark i'm not sure what to say here to be frank - your response reads to me as "I agree that it's terrible but I have no intention of resolving it" .... CMS systems are used by literally millions of sites worldwide, including some of the largest publishers on the planet and have been specifically designed to enable elegant distribution of content.

Put another way, am I missing why you would not want a simple/elegant/powerful/customer focused solution that helps to achieve an end-goal of encouraging more people to get involved in your sport activity?

I am interested to know if users find any problems finding results, shoot dates etc

Site will change but more interested in the shoots for now.
I find it hard to find anything on your site Mark - see above references

As for grounds and clubs most of them are wrapped up with their business and battle for survivalso a slowish process of making contact, visiting and working with but getting there!
 Certainly wouldn't disagree there - seems that many shooting facilities/clubs etc have their heads buried in the sand (that's a whole other conversation).  That said getting back to what you're trying to do - you're going to need to have a great proposition and a compelling story to get them to switch....

More than happy for you to write some new updated content for key areas mentioned above.
My free advice has to stop at what i've provided above sir - that said there's plenty to go off and I think if you were to focus on that value proposition of what you're trying to achieve and how it will help your customers then you will go a long way.  

Secondary to that is communicating it an easy-to-digest format - that part is just simply a case of some hours behind the keyboard or a (very reasonable) fee to a template designer (to be frank you could just buy a template for 20quid and your site would look infinitely better)

I'll leave it with you there Mark - my intent is not to antagonise or disrespect, however based on your initial response i'm getting the impression you're not looking to change just yet and am happy with the status quo. (and that's perfectly fine, everyone has their own journey)

All the best

Adam

I hear what you're saying about info and website , but don't be too harsh. As far as I know this is a self funded project which does not  have loads of members cash to fritter away. With support ,( shooters and grounds) this could be a real alternative to Cpsa. It's a good system and deserves a chance. Remember it has weekly averages updates which our ngb doesn't seem to be able to manage. 

And no I'm not connected . but I am registered 

Jasper

Well firstly thanks to Jasper, I dont honestly know who you are but thanks for joining and shooting the shoots
over the years. People not corporations or web sites are the most important things!

Now to Adams points who could be from Wild Zebra marketing co !
I can spot loads of corporate nonsense speak.

I never said its terrible

I asked shooters what they find hard to find.? Important things shoot dates/results however you say anything

I will not be writing a fluffed up garbage corporate mission statement (I was hoping you would)

It will always be FREE for the shooter to join

Clubs and grounds know the story.. Really very sad

My FREE advice is not to keep going down the road of CMS  systems and hackable wordpress sites
that are easy to roll out but imposable to understand (without an IT WIZ) if go wrong. Do not keep re-designing
sites to suit every phone. Apple Watch, bingle eye piece and eventual chip in your wrist.

Having said that their will be improvments to site. The System not web site now sorted, tweeked after years of testing.

But first and most importantly my concentration is on Shoots.

Thanks
Mark

And I do appreciate your free advice but unfortunately wont be paying for any of it!

ps every time edited this it said bingle eyepiece rather than gooooooogle

Posts from Wild Zebra sum up the website and situation well. It gives the impression of an amature home built organisation. You have been given some worthwhile advice but chosen to hear it as 'corporate nonsense'. There are tools available for little or no cost that would transform your image. 

'you have been doing this for many years' but the profile is low, the take up restricted to one club last year, you need to find a USP and sell it. 'When shooters and grounds realise ....' Is an attitude almost guaranteed to lead to failure.

What are you offering that cpsa and others aren't as you certainly seem to have a similar approach to your market! 

Don't knock the guy for giving it a go! Rome wasn't built in a day after all.

He has an idea that may be a good one. All he's doing is hoisting it up the flagpole and seeing who salutes it.

What it needs is some support from the likes of us, if we think it has got legs. Constructive critisism can be a good thing, but it's still critisism. Maybe someone can lend some proper, practical, hands-on help with this? Don't suppose most of you remember the days when some people did something for nothing, other than a sense of pride. These days if it hasn't got £££ or $$$ in it for them, nobody is interested. Bloody shame on you!

Nice try MarkO. You have a dream. Run with it!   :wink:

Hereford and Worcester shooting ground 26th Feb 2016. 
booked on this .just down the road for me.places available. Start times 9.30,11.30 and 13.30.

See world sporting.net or hwsg.co.uk

Good to see meadowcroft and old glossop grounds are on board now. :smile:

And now honesberie ( nick hollicks ground ) is on board also. Well done Mark O . looks like you have been working hard to get the grounds on side . hope the shooters follow.

Will prob do this one too. Not too far from me..

Latest posts

Back