Checking for a blockage

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

I always check for blockages in my O/U but I struggle to see down the barrel of my auto.

How should you check for blockages in an auto?

Thanks

To be honest I don't check as often as I probably should, but when I do want to check my auto (and I probably shouldn't) I make sure the bolts back, safety on and look down from the business end. 

Can't think of any other way to do it?

Having said that I only ever look down the muzzle when I know there's nothing there, which defeats the object somewhat.

I've never experienced one, but I think if I had a misfire and the cartridge couldn't be extracted with the bolt all you can do is take the gun apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
And therein lies (one of) the inherent safety aspects of using an Auto. A time consuming exercise and one which isn't done as often as it could be.

The only "safe" way to check, that will not get surprised glances from those that know which end of the barrel is the dangerous end, is to dismantle the gun and take the barrel off to look down the correct end.

I did once see a guy blow down his barrel from the business end after an unusual sounding discharge. When shouted at he did say (in his feeble defense) that the bolt was open and the gun could not fire. However, there was still a cartridge in the magazine but it was blocked by the cut off. More risk than I personally would undertake methinks?

Sometimes I wonder if it wasn't for all the mess, that these people would be better taken out of the gene pool??   :roulette:

If you carry a pull-through it won't take up much room in your pocket. Using it (naturally the gun will be unloaded, with bolt open) is neither difficult nor unsafe, and won't involve anyone peering into the business end.

But it's the behaviour of some Over & Under owners that to my mind is more dangerous, they carry them unsupported over their shoulders. That'll end in tears for many. And they do a fancy "eject-em-straight-into-the-bin" routine, too. Both practices are flirting with either clogged or dented barrels.

I have been on the receiving end of shot twice in my life. Thankfully no injury in either case. Neither occasion involved an auto.

But it's the behaviour of some Over & Under owners that to my mind is more dangerous, they carry them unsupported over their shoulders. That'll end in tears for many. And they do a fancy "eject-em-straight-into-the-bin" routine, too. Both practices are flirting with either clogged or dented barrels.
Perhaps if you have some eggs in your pocket you can teach us how to suck them!

I do not have a problem when I use my auto, I come out of the stand and turn the gun towards the waiting crowd. I find that I usually have up to 10 or 12 people all volunteering to kneel down to see if my barrel is clear, some even go further by lying down completely. Oh yes !.....................shooters are such a friendly and helpful crowd. They all seem to think that I work in the City too, I often hear them say "Here comes that Banker with the auto again " !

Forgot to add that any blockage that I have suffered is usually cleared during surgery .....................when the auto is being extracted !

You can check an auto for a blockage by placing a dental mirror on the chamber and looking for the reflection of daylight from the muzzle end. 

No dental mirror?? Use a silver knife blade. No knife ?? Use your thumb nail. No thumb nail, blow into the breech and check for hot air coming out of the muzzle . Finally , unload if you haven't already done so , bolt back , hold gun vertical , butt on foot and look down the barrel .

Auto's do need to be used with care , but so do all armaments including knives and catapults. :wink:

Auto's do need to be used with care , but so do all armaments including knives and catapults. :wink:
I can certainly attest to the dangers of a catapult.  Whilst attempting to bait my swim once, the blinking thing broke and smacked me in the nose.  I don't mind admitting to shedding a few tears that day.

I can certainly attest to the dangers of a catapult.  Whilst attempting to bait my swim once, the blinking thing broke and smacked me in the nose.  I don't mind admitting to shedding a few tears that day.
Yes, I cried too when I broke my best catapult!   :cry:

Thanks for the advice, perhaps blowing is a reasonable way but also once proven empty placing it on your foot with chamber open and looking down the barrel.

Also - there are many reviews by very respected shooters that seem to fire huge amounts of cartridges through an auto and never a mention of a blockage, but thought I would ask anyway. Oh, I am referring to either my Beretta 391 or the Remy 1100 for my wife.

Cheers

yes but I don't bang on about people ruining topics I just get on and do it. Bit like you. 
Now see, I was just complementing you and there you go.

Thanks for the advice, perhaps blowing is a reasonable way but also once proven empty placing it on your foot with chamber open and looking down the barrel.

Also - there are many reviews by very respected shooters that seem to fire huge amounts of cartridges through an auto and never a mention of a blockage, but thought I would ask anyway. Oh, I am referring to either my Beretta 391 or the Remy 1100 for my wife.

Cheers
do you let her hold the gun while you look down the barrel?  I mean, life on the edge, eh?

Get a small marble and drop  it into the breech,    if it drops out the other end  simples

if not, you have a blockage,  .... your going to have to strip it anyway ;)

Alternativly, get one of those JML drain unblocker things and pop it in your bag.   its a nice bit of flexible plastic coated stiff wire ..

:santa:

Beat me too it!

I was also going to suggest the marble! Used a lot in PSG and 3 Gun shooting where there is a lot more chance of getting a blockage in your Semi.

Back