692 vs mk38 grade 5

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barney

im new to shooting and looking at both these although cart decide looking at them new and second hand do both have the same warranties from new I'm sure someone said you can pay to extend the berreta warranty to 10 years? I read the 692 had some issues still don't know if that's the case? Would one have a better re sale, or is second hand the way forward just worried if something went wrong any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks Tom 

get a used Beretta 686 or 682 gold e.

that's the way to go imo

ips, you are Beretta biased.

Buy the 692 with the Ten year extended warranty  (you will probably need it)

Or buy the Miroku  very cheaply second hand , then buy every gun that has ever been made , before eventually settling on shooting the Miroku.

Why?

Because  you will never be able to get your head around how good a Miroku MK38 is for the price.

There really should be no debate , a Miroku MK38 is far better than ANY shooter ever will be. It WILL do everything a gun is supposed to do.

One of my first over and under clay shooting guns was a second hand 3800 Trap gun. I later had Teague chokes fitted and shot extremely well with it. That was in the early 1970's. Since then I have spent many thousands of pounds looking for the 'magic gun'. I have owned top model guns by top makers but never really shot very well with any of them. A few years ago I traded in my Perazzi MX2000s sporter for a Miroku MK10 Trap grade 3. My scores went back up virtually overnight. All I would say is you MUST try one gun against the other and then try to find the right gun, secondhand, then if it all goes wrong you should still get near to the price that you paid for it. Buy either gun new, then expect a big drop if you decide you have got it wrong. Hope that helps.

I am swayed more to the 3800 not one person has ever said to me its a bad gun is there anything costly to go wrong on a second hand one

For the money, a second hand grade 5 Miroku just cannot be beaten for value in my view. Do not worry about 'things going wrong' they rarely do, and are usually a firing pin (worn/pitted) or a spring - cheap, easy fixes. 

Best advice - buy the one that fits you the best. 

Thanks for all your help my mind is made up  :smile:

I've owned both (but neither now) and as everyone has said, the MK38 in any grade really is remarkable value for money so much so you do wonder how they turn them out so well at the price. 

Having said that, as a gun to shoot I preferred my 692 and my results reflected this. Nothing to do with which was the 'better' gun, it just felt better in my shoulder and I shot better with it. 

I think it's very hard, if not impossible to decide which gun to buy based on forum views and opinions. Yes it's great to get feedback from people who have owned and shot them but ultimately it comes down to what suits you and works best for you. 

Try to shoot both, side by side and put a decent amount of shells through both if you can and go with whichever feels best and more natural to you. You could ask 100 people on here which one is best and I reckon you'd get a 50/50 split, truth is either will outlast you and your grandchildren. 

If you want the bling of pretty wood and nice engraving buy a used Gd5 MK38 for about £1500. If you want the same gun with average wood and minimal engraving then buy a Gd1 for about half the price. By the way, the trap versions shoot the best!

:smile:  salopian

your a phlistine. Just saying. ..

Last edited by a moderator:
No I'm not - I'm from Yorkshire. Philistine is somewhere in the Middle East isn't it?

BARNEY,

I do not know where you are in the world but you could do worse than look at Premier Guns of Doveridge very good website. They have a good used selection of most of the guns worth considering. You would be able to make an educated decision after trying them, one against the other. There is also a Gunsmith on site who can carry out any immediate alterations that may be required.

Hereford i am i went to the sportsman in newport but wasnt massive choice there im not miles away from ian coleys.

Mk38 Grade 5 for me.  A friend of mine who shoots for England got me one some time ago.  He shoots one!  However being a Trap gun it looked rather bulky and not pretty enough.  So I went out and bought a grade 5 Browning Sporter, a Ceasar Guerini 20 bore, and Perazzi SC3's and a couple of others that I can't remember.

Now I only have my mk38 and it is my go to gun for shooting everything.  Sporting Clays, Partridges, High Pheasant etc.,  My Brother has a very nice Beretta, but he shoots better with my Mk38.  My son now has an Mk38 trap gun for clays moving from an Mk38 sporter.  His scores now reflect how well this gun suits and fits him.

I have picked up a few 692's and thought they felt great.  Choice is down to you, but I am fairly certain you won't go wrong with an adjustable Mk38 trap!

Hi barney, when I started shooting about 18 months ago my first gun was a 692, it was unreliable and was backwards and forwards to gmk, I then traded the beretta for an mk38 grade 5 and I still maintain that it was the gun I shot the best with (And I have had a lot of different guns). I now own a perazzi mx2000 s that I bought new and don't get me wrong it's a fantastic gun but it is not £6000 better than the miroku. If I We're you I would go out and buy a brand new mk38 grade 5 and keep it forever as everyone should have at least one brand new gun :)

tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi barney, when I started shooting about 18 months ago my first gun was a 692, it was unreliable and was backwards and forwards to gmk, I then traded the beretta for an mk38 grade 5 and I still maintain that it was the gun I shot the best with (And I have had a lot of different guns). I now own a perazzi mx2000 s that I bought new and don't get me wrong it's a fantastic gun but it is not £6000 better than the miroku. If I We're you I would go out and buy a brand new mk38 grade 5 and keep it forever as everyone should have at least one brand new gun :)

tom
The BIG difference is that with the Perazzi you can get a new 'bespoke' gun made to your requirements . Unlike a Miroku which is an 'off the shelf'. I have both, and would not part with either - large wad of cash permitting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back