Skeet guns for skeet shooting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehb102

If one was a bit new to shooting still with a standard sporter but had the chance of another gun especially for skeet, what would you suggest that second gun should be? Nothing very expensive, just something optimised for the discipline.

Honestly, I just don't think there's enough difference there to bother with a Skeet specific gun. You can shoot monster Skeet scores with a Sporter but prolly not the other way round. 

Is the era of skeet guns passed? 30 or even 32" are used a fair bit now I think. There is a lot to be said for familiarity with the gun, so a dedicated gun for skeet may never be better in practice, if it is less familiar to the shooter.

Having already got a 'standard sporter' I would use that for skeet and maybe spend my money on a Trap gun. I used to use and still have a Miroku MK10 Trap gun that I have altered the pitch on (by using washers), the gun is factory multi choked and is 30" barrels. To revert to a Trap gun, simply remove the washers. The only change from original spec is an Isis green pad. Be careful buying an out and out skeet gun, they tend to be maximum 28" barrels and often shorter, fixed open chokes and not worth a lot of money, should you decide to sell. Buy an auto, they make an excellent skeet gun. Ask any American shooter !

Conventional doctrine seems to suggest an open bored short barrel gun of around 7.7 lbs, most experienced Skeeters seems to use guns closer to Sporter spec though !

don't see many dedicated skeet guns  being used these days ,  a multi choke sporter  will do the business  even a trap gun will suffice with 9s    .

Perhaps we should re-read the original poster's question (and have another go to help with an answer).

She has her Sporter already, and yes, it will do a reasonable job on Skeet. But then it will do a reasonable job on Trap and a fair job at Sporting too!

The question was relating to a "Specific" gun for Skeet shooting. Anyone who shoots Skeet specifically, and is serious about it, will use a gun adapted for just that discipline, no matter how much "like" a Sporter it is, or how much a Sporter will "do".

There are Skeet guns out there, but trends and fashions change. I'm sure Vincent Hancock's current DT11 is far removed from a 1970s Shadow Indy, (complete with 'Airflow Rib') but each was 'The' gun of its day.

My knowledge of current trends is not up to speed as far as Skeet goes, but I could tell you a thing or two about Vostocks, Remmie1100s, 26" Barrels, Tula chokes and Cutts compensators, but I think some more up to date information is required by the OP.

Over to you more modern types!  :smile:

Unless your going to take up skeet - seriously - then no. I would not buy one just for the odd competition or practice. As has been said, todays sporter's are more than capable at shooting skeet.

It would however fill a space in the cabinet!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps we should re-read the original poster's question (and have another go to help with an answer).

She has her Sporter already, and yes, it will do a reasonable job on Skeet. But then it will do a reasonable job on Trap and a fair job at Sporting too!

The question was relating to a "Specific" gun for Skeet shooting. Anyone who shoots Skeet specifically, and is serious about it, will use a gun adapted for just that discipline, no matter how much "like" a Sporter it is, or how much a Sporter will "do".

There are Skeet guns out there, but trends and fashions change. I'm sure Vincent Hancock's current DT11 is far removed from a 1970s Shadow Indy, (complete with 'Airflow Rib') but each was 'The' gun of its day.

My knowledge of current trends is not up to speed as far as Skeet goes, but I could tell you a thing or two about Vostocks, Remmie1100s, 26" Barrels, Tula chokes and Cutts compensators, but I think some more up to date information is required by the OP.

Over to you more modern types!  :smile:
That's just the point Ian, there just aren't enough relevant differences to worry. You really can win World championships with a Sporter. Olympic Skeet would require a different gun but not the domestic version which lets face it is what we're talking about.

Sorry Liz.     I tried....................?  :fie:

Good luck with your Skeet Shooting. It's nice to hear someone who is serious about taking on the challenge. Pity Skeetfreak or Joe Kitson don't post on here any more. I expect you might get a useful answer from them. Sorry I can't help you much now. (But we are awash with experts so everything is OK?)  :smile:

If its cheap buy it. I brought 3 x l/h remmie semi's all 3 for under a grand. 25" skeet gun, 30" trap gun, 28" sporter all mint. Just for a bit of fun.

The differences are and this is common to all guns, skeet guns shoot flat, trap gun shoot high, sporters in-between the two.

To get technical. Skeet guns have a pitch 2.5" - 2". Trap guns 1" - 1.5". Sporter 2" - 1"

Skeet guns like to be slightly stock heavy for lively barrels, just trap guns slightly just barrel heavy slower, sporters just around the hinge pin depending on shooter.

That's how they used to be. The modern o/u adjustable everything just about takes care of that lot.

If i were to by a 'cheap' Skeet gun it would be Miroku 3800 28". I found the 26" a bit too lively

I have an old Miroku skeet gun, fixed cyl chokes, 28" barrels with detachable weights.  It's 80s vintage but in good nick.  You're welcome to try it out, and have Justin work out how to adapt the stock for you if you like it - it hasn't seen much use in the last year or so.

Unless your going to take up skeet - seriously - then no. I would not buy one just for the odd competition or practice. As has been said, todays sporter's are more than capable at shooting skeet.

It would however fill a space in the cabinet!!!!!!!!!
Define "seriously". Being a new mother I don't have as much free time as I used to, and although I'm not saying I couldn't do sporting competitions, it's not my top priority right now. Any non-baby time I get has other claims on it. I'm having to take a long-term view of shooting. I don't want to spend four hours doing a sporting competition (that's travel, prep and shooting, obviously). I can't shoot enough in either birds or time to keep up my learning curve, let alone remember what I had learned so far. If I went and did ESP competition now I'd just put in a score that would depress me.

I do however get to go out sometimes. Eriswell Lodge is my most convenient ground and they have been very welcoming of the whole family, so I have the choice there. I like skeet, I've been taught the solid basics, and now I just need to shoot the thousands of birds you need to learn the craft. I like being a County shooter, even if I'm not going to worry any winners for a good few years. I have my eye on the All-round as something I could do. 

I'm not in love with my sporter. It's obviously a good enough gun, but it's got very heavy barrels (Browning 425). I've never got the fit right, I got a temporary fix on it when I was diagnosed as needing lots of cast and I've not gone back and worked with the gunsmith to make that permanent. It never seemed worth it when I fluctuate in weight. It certainly doesn't seem worth investing in an imperfect gun. I shot really well with a B25 once or twice, and that was a similar shape and length but much lighter in the barrels. It made me want to investigate other guns.

All suggestions welcome. It's my milestone birthday next year, I just want to be prepared.

As a very keen skeet shooter most of the top shots around use a sporter of some kind. I use a browning GTI ultra s (based on the 425 I believe) and having shot skeet less Han 2 years already have 2x 100 straights under my belt.

If yu fancy one get one but there is no specific need.

Joe Kitson uses a Sporter and Dave Beardsmore uses a 32" DT10  so obviously using a Sporter is a handicap to becoming proficient at Skeet.

Obviously it really depends on your build. If you could find an open choked Skeet gun with about 26" or 28" barrels that you could try go for it , but really it is irrelevant as Skeet is so mind numbingly easy. :lol: :lol: :lol:  

Latest posts

Back