A1 Shooting Ground - Helice Have a Go

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlafUK

Anyone going to the Helice Have a Go day at A1SG?

Thinking of going, but will be a fairly long drive from Somerset!  :eek:

Always an excellent day - A1SG is the right place to try Helice - which is great fun!

or you could toss a coin to decide who won.

Olaf, I checked with A1 and they're intending to have the give it a go tomorrow.

I'm hoping to get there, but it rather depends on the boss. If I do get there, I'm the one with the orange cartridge back who doesn't trouble any of the targets, would be nice to meet you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! Hopefully the Boss will let you out! Be good to meet up, I'll be the one with a Somerset patch! :)

Somerset to A1 for Helice. I admire an enthusiast, but isn't that about 20 minutes driving per each target shot? ?

Yup, bit of a way, but it's something I've wanted to try for a while and with only three grounds in the UK, venues are limited!  :???:

In a single word, YES! So very different to any other discipline I've shot, but can understand why people enjoy it and shoot it. It's a shame that there aren't more grounds in the UK that have capability, especially down my neck of the woods as would be good to shoot some more. Shame to have missed you, but after an early start decided to head off and brave the M25 parkway. As for how I shot? Following a quick briefing from Claudio on where to look and how to pick up targets, I then managed to get 18/20! Go figure! :) :clover:

Glad you had a good time!

I don't have that far to travel, so didn't get there until midday, but still managed to get in my 25 targets together with my brother and LancsLad.

I really enjoy this game/discipline, and as you say, it's a shame it's not more popular.  There's a county championship at A1 on the 16th if you're keen to do more.

Plan is to shoot some more of this discipline, even if I have to travel! Do you mean the 19th Sep for the Bucks County Championship? Will have to check dates and see if I can wangle a pass! If not, may have to wait till next year! :)

In a single word, YES! So very different to any other discipline I've shot, but can understand why people enjoy it and shoot it. It's a shame that there aren't more grounds in the UK that have capability, especially down my neck of the woods as would be good to shoot some more. Shame to have missed you, but after an early start decided to head off and brave the M25 parkway. As for how I shot? Following a quick briefing from Claudio on where to look and how to pick up targets, I then managed to get 18/20! Go figure! :) :clover:
If you were a kind and decent person you'd want to share that advice I'm sure.  Right?

Plan is to shoot some more of this discipline, even if I have to travel! Do you mean the 19th Sep for the Bucks County Championship? Will have to check dates and see if I can wangle a pass! If not, may have to wait till next year! :)
yep, the 19th, sorry. For some reason I've fixated on the 16th.  Can anyone enter these companies, or do you have to be cpsa registered, and from the county in question?

And, yes, please do share the secret!!

Ha ha ha! Share! I spent 3hrs driving there and 3hrs back, do you think I'm going to share! ?

The main gist of the advice was to mount on Trap 3 (keeping the barrels low and not too high) and keep a good peripheral vision across the ring. When the trap door/flap drops don't move to that, wait to see the target and then move to the target otherwise you can end up moving the gun too much!  "See it, shoot it" was mentioned a great many times and seems to be a mantra amongst the Helice shooters. Then depending on which trap released its target, adjust your mount from Trap 3 accordingly.

What I found most entertaining is when you hit the target and the propeller shatters, the remains spin away at a rate of knots! It feels exactly like when you absolutely 100% smoke a clay! 

If I had to describe Helice, I'd say it was the offspring from a drunken one night stand between Skeet and DTL! Just need to find some traps and get a ring set up down this neck of the woods! ?

Latest posts

Back