Caeser Guerini Magnus

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right,

First of all, hi guys, I'm Max and this is my first post on here, so if it's in the wrong place would someone who knows where it should be, put it there please? Cheers!

Secondly, I'm one lucky chap and recently was bought a CG Magnus for my 21st birthday. Whilst this was back in May, I only received my certificate through this past week. So now I'm looking to pick my gun up next weekend and probably buy some cartridges too.

I'm appealing to anyone who also owns a Magnus and has shot a fair few through theirs, have you had any notable trouble with any cartridges? I know some guns have trouble ejecting etc, any knowledge of any issues specific to the Magnus? 

Finally, as this is going to be my first time buying cartridges myself, what do people recommend? I'll be mainly doing clays but a bit of vermin (rabbits, rats, pigeons, crows etc).

Thanks in advance!

Max 

Hi Max,

The good news: cartridge ejection problems are thankfully rare so you should not worry about that. If you do by chance suffer probems it will be almost certainly be a gun fault rather than the cartridge.

The not quite so good news: clays and vermin will require different cartridges ideally.

For clays you'll need loads of between 21g and 28g with a shot size between 7 and 9. Most grounds limit loads to no greater then 28g and shot size no greater than no 6. I guess 28g 7.5's are the most popular for sporting. Trap shooting often uses samller loads, say 24g. Quite a lot of grounds (especially the so called straw balers) require the use of fibre wad cartidges only so you should either just buy fibre wads which you can shoot anywhere or check with the ground you plan to shoot on before buying plastic wads. I'd suggest that you stick to the major name brands to start with. Gamebore, Hull, RC, Fiocchi etc.

A typical small vermin cartridge would be say 32g no. 6 shot. You could go for something between 30g and 34g and between 5 and 6 shot to start with. I'd suggest fibre wad only as most people don't want plastic wads spread across their land.

Maybe just buy in small quantities until you've tried a few, say 4 or 5 boxes for clays and 2 or 3 boxes for vermin.

I hope this helps.

Nice gun by the way.

ATB Mark

Mark,

Thanks for that, hopefully I'll have no problems!

I half expected that to be the case anyway, so thanks for affirming my suspicions. I've heard good mutterings about Hulls' Superfast and Fiocchis' FBlack so I might try a few of each and see how they feel!

Thanks for the advice and the compliments - she's a beauty and for my first gun I know how lucky I am!

Cheers,

Max

11954719_1038842259459782_6524912950917320008_n.jpg

11900061_1038841989459809_5841566735403589565_n.jpg

Hull superfast are as good as anything. The plastics are nice and clean, the fibres not so much. i put 25000 through my CG Summit in a year and a half and had one misfire I think.

I recently changed to Gamebore Velocity in Hayward Buster disguise. Similarly nice and clean in plastic.

Until I am hitting high 80's every time out I don't see much point in shooting more expensive cartridges. i've tried a few slabs of top end stuff in everything from 9 to 6 and it made 0 difference to my mid 70's scores! 

I vote for Superfasts too, they seem to suit my CG very well (pretty much the same as yours other than the sideplates) Add about £10/1000 to the prices given if you need Fibre.

Tend to buy them by the 1000, a bit cheaper that way. I bought another 1000 yesterday at £177 (Fibres) the PlasWads were at £166/1000.

Oddly, this latest batch of Superfasts have been filthy! I really hope this is a blip, as I have been delighted with them until now.

Latest posts

Back