Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Hewland

This site seems to have lost most of the personal discussion about actually going shooting and the results to Facebook. So here is the place to chat about what where and how!

I visited Honesberie today, first time for 15 months. My last visit was uninspiring but I thought this one was great. Not for the faint-hearted all in all, but great targets I thought. Good mix, plenty of longer stuff included. Good use of the open fields and the wooded sections. A couple of silly patches for me, but not unhappy with an 86. I'll be back. 

How was today for everybody?

I shot Southdown with Rosso.

Quite pleased with 81 on the sporting and 79 on the sport-trap, I fell away when the rain came which is something I need to sort out.  Only messed up on one stand with 4/10 and dropped a couple here and there.

I was going to say something but I'm not going too now.
I certainly won't make the fatal error of turning up the incorrect track off the A24 with you behind me again.

It would be nice to get to that ground and shoot in the dry, hopefully next Monday.

I shot Greenfields but decided against anywhere else due to weather forecast, a great set up which included a few pairs one of which really could be shot either way which confused a fair few. Top field was tough as always but what marred my day and card was a careless two away on a stand when my bead fell off and caused me some grief in loss of concentration etc, found it and it promptly fell off again (and got lost) on the next tough stand which needed meticulous timing and effort for an orange battue edgy going away quarterer, 5 away here, sight picture before call looked really odd and just couldn't get the barrel relationship together !

Having decided to just accept the day for what it is I went onto the next stand only to be met by a high, edge on, fast, loooong left to right off a tower followed by a 40 yard slow and low battue  :unsure: , pretty sure I was the only straight there today, just one of those fantastic 2 minutes you occasionally experience whilst in a stand, I rarely see more than 3 feet because of my fast swing but I was seeing 8, not one chipped bird either !  B)

No bead cost me again later on incomers and a very tricky high and fast edge on away because I was just too conscious of my visual references not being what they normally are so 87 wasn't really a disaster in the end.

i was also at Honesberie today,(missed Will, but shot with Roger from Leicester), 2nd time, they have put in a lot of effort to improve from a year ago!, a bit far for a regular visit, but a damn good shoot, with a few good stretch for it stands,  funny how i get first pair, and go downhill for a 64, which should be a 70+ ! 

must be because i`m 64 !

I shot Greenfields but decided against anywhere else due to weather forecast, a great set up which included a few pairs one of which really could be shot either way which confused a fair few. Top field was tough as always but what marred my day and card was a careless two away on a stand when my bead fell off and caused me some grief in loss of concentration etc, found it and it promptly fell off again (and got lost) on the next tough stand which needed meticulous timing and effort for an orange battue edgy going away quarterer, 5 away here, sight picture before call looked really odd and just couldn't get the barrel relationship together !

Having decided to just accept the day for what it is I went onto the next stand only to be met by a high, edge on, fast, loooong left to right off a tower followed by a 40 yard slow and low battue  :unsure: , pretty sure I was the only straight there today, just one of those fantastic 2 minutes you occasionally experience whilst in a stand, I rarely see more than 3 feet because of my fast swing but I was seeing 8, not one chipped bird either !  B)

No bead cost me again later on incomers and a very tricky high and fast edge on away because I was just too conscious of my visual references not being what they normally are so 87 wasn't really a disaster in the end.
haha,, ````````````a tip `  look at the clay not the bead!                                                                                       not a bad score though !  :D

haha,, ````````````a tip `  look at the clay not the bead!                                                                                       not a bad score though !  :D
Believe me it's not as straightforward as that, obviously I'm aware many deliberately don't even use a bead  because clearly looking at the bead or rib is a recipe for misses but styles and techniques vary. I find it useful personally because one way or the other you have to have points of reference, mine is better served with a small bead, other use the whole rib (they just don't know it)  ;)

The problem today was trying to build a score with a sight picture I hadn't (not) seen in 35 years.  :lol: :huh:

Just back from Kegworth two day uk fitasc championship 

first time at this ground and very impressed with target presentation 

quite a few of the new 70 mm targets which was a learning curve 

A very good shoot and enjoyable weekend 

managed 134 ex 150  joint high gun x 4  came away with senior gold medal  :cool:

take no notice Hamster,,, just me,,,,,,,remember, the more you practice ,the luckier you get,  :D

must say it`s not luck,,   :cool:  

Went to Southdown and started with the pool shoot for fun, some good targets on there and then it poured so got drowned shooting the sporting and got 61.  Just as wetware leaving the weather calmed so shot Horne in the dry got 75 and came away with Ladies High Gun and apparently I was not the only lady to shoot today?

Two weeks off with a virus...........5 GP visits & 30 antibiotics later I'm almost fit again :brr:

Morocco Wednesday for 9 days of heat :cool:

Good luck to those of you shooting the British Open @‌ Garlands :clover:

Two weeks off with a virus...........5 GP visits & 30 antibiotics later I'm almost fit again :brr:

Morocco Wednesday for 9 days of heat :cool:

Good luck to those of you shooting the British Open @‌ Garlands :clover:
Glad you are feeling better, some sun will do you good.  Enjoy.

Local 50 bird straw baler.  Dropped six on the first stand, a very simple left to right climbing crosser.  Totally stupid, I was all over the place.  Finished on 36, when I reckon I should have been on at least 40.

My first time at Honesberie on Sunday - it was a very good shoot with great targets so will definitely put this venue on my list. Managed to pickup a few tips from Will Hewland as well which was useful. If you have not been before it is well worth the visit.

Sian - Well done with the win

My first time at Honesberie on Sunday - it was a very good shoot with great targets so will definitely put this venue on my list. Managed to pickup a few tips from Will Hewland as well which was useful. If you have not been before it is well worth the visit.

Sian - Well done with the win
Thank you very much.

Shot the Essex all round challenge at Clacton gun club on sat. Hard to keep up concentration in the heat but a good day.

Shot 19/25 in the sporting. Was ok, but dropped 4 on one stand, misread the battue target and missed it on the first two pairs then got so hacked off with myself that I missed it and the going away on the the last pair. (3 pairs per stand). 

21/25 in the skeet so happy with that. Had a wobble on the Middle stand and dropped 3. 

20/25 at single barrel. Pretty good considering the amount of sweat pouring down the inside of my glasses in the 27 deg sun. 

20 on the abt which was a pb for me so really pleased. 

80 overall so a happy boy on the second outing with the new blaser f3. 

An enjoyable morning at Atkin Grant and Lang for their esp reg shoot. It was mostly pretty soft, although a few longer targets were having fun in the wind. More of a concentration shoot than a big technical skill test, but fun. The ground and facilities are good now, worth a look. I suspect a 98 will win it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back