Known to police

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

No Longer required.

Cheers 

Hamish.

Last edited:
Seems unlikely. The application is in your name in any case, I assume your Wife will have no access to the gun ie she is not applying for her own SGC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is correct my wife will have access to the gun nor is she applying for her SGC.

Can't see the Police being concerned then in that case. The process is centred on the applicant AFAIK.  

Nobody can possibly give you an insightful answer with the little information you have given. It would be useful to know why 'her family were known to the police about 20 years ago'.

Are her family still 'known' to the police?

There are some situations where you could indeed have a problem.

Her immediate family have since passed away and we no longer have any contact with the rest of the family .

Nobody can possibly give you an insightful answer with the little information you have given. It would be useful to know why 'her family were known to the police about 20 years ago'.

Are her family still 'known' to the police?

There are some situations where you could indeed have a problem.
Where does it say on the application - "Do you have dodgy mates or family" The last time I looked, it doesn't. The review of the application is made based on the information provided, which relates to the person who's looking to get their SGC, not their mates or family.

If not, I assure you, I for one would not have a Certificate :angel:  

Hi all, My wife,s family were known to the police about 20 years ago. my wife herself has nothing

to do with family anymore and we moved away from the area about 17 years. Will this affect my 

application for my SGC ?

Cheers 

Hamish.
Give your local firearms licensing department a call and ask them, they don't bite.

Where does it say on the application - "Do you have dodgy mates or family" The last time I looked, it doesn't. The review of the application is made based on the information provided, which relates to the person who's looking to get their SGC, not their mates or family.

If not, I assure you, I for one would not have a Certificate :angel:  
 When did you get your certificate?  Things are somewhat different now than a number of years ago.

Licensing authorities can and do look at many sources of information including social media and the applicant's family and acquaintances when granting both shotgun certificates and FACs during their background checks.

i know of one person who had a problem with his FEO when he (innocently) accepted someone as a friend on his FaceBook account when this 'friend' was 'known to the police'. I believe he has his licence (FAC) revoked, at least temporarily.

The OP may well be OK in this case as one of the major concerns the police have is whether the rascals could have access to the house and also the firearms - and from what he has said, they won't.  Some forces implement background checks more rigorously than others.  Durham are particularly fastidious at the moment for obvious reasons.  

However, it will obviously depend on what the family had been up to.

Dunc, I'm sorry but I actually can't think of another way of saying this........unless you're trying to wind us up, you're talking nonsense buddy. I'm going to counter your mate's story with at least 3 people I can think of off the top of my head who have recently got new SGC's, despite having previous "history" (including violence) themselves. (ie not their family or friends)

Sorry, but using your logic, very few of us would have a certificate and to monitor our activities at that kind of level, the Police would need 1000's more FEO's.

Ohh and by the way, my current cert is less than a year old :wink:   

Hamish , you are wasting time in cyberspace, we 'the experts' have no authority or can help you in anyway apart from morally supporting you.

Your Constabulary FLO will assess the application on its merits.

I actually know people who have had long holidays at Her Majesties Pleasure but later in life have been granted SGC's .

It is at the discretion of The Chief Constable.

Dunc, I'm sorry but I actually can't think of another way of saying this........unless you're trying to wind us up, you're talking nonsense buddy. I'm going to counter your mate's story with at least 3 people I can think of off the top of my head who have recently got new SGC's, despite having previous "history" (including violence) themselves. (ie not their family or friends)

Sorry, but using your logic, very few of us would have a certificate and to monitor our activities at that kind of level, the Police would need 1000's more FEO's.

Ohh and by the way, my current cert is less than a year old :wink:   
Just because you and 3 mates have got SGCs does not mean that some forces don't check things carefully, depending on how they do things and what comes up when they do their preliminary checks.  I know of several people who have had problems in getting both SGCs and FACs due to 'history', so please don't tell me I'm talking nonsense.  I don't believe the police routinely do these checks but then can do.

We don't know what the OP's family did or where he lives so AFAIK. no one can give much insight into his chances.  Salopian is quite correct.  

I hope Hamish gets his SGC.

I don't see why someone else's criminal record would reflect on you unless you have also in some way been linked to crime and known to the police but have never been convicted. If the police ask you about these people just answer their questions honestly and I don't see you having a problem.

Ok, a bit more explanation.

The reason that a family's background can be of importance is 'access to 'weapons'.  The police will, quite rightly, do all they can to make sure they don't fall into the wrong hands.  

I'm not saying anything re Hamish and his family as I've said several times I don't know but that fact that the 'family' are not routinely in his house, and hence close to his shotgun/firearm is helpful.

Here's a section from the  'Guide on Firearms Licensing Law' - 

[SIZE=14pt]iv) Safe-keeping and handling of firearms [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]12.27 Consideration should include any evidence that unauthorised persons, such as family members or associates, who may themselves present a danger to public safety, might have access to the firearms, notwithstanding any arrangements for the security of the firearms which may have already been made.[/SIZE]

....and if you want the full reference, here it is.

Guide on Firearms Licensing Law 2015
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417199/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_v13.pdf

Chapter 12: Assessing Suitability

Hope this helps   ;)   

My youngest son got a SGC and he had a criminal record! Ok the offense was minor I guess, he knocked a coppers hat off whilst he was pissed and called him something a bit iffy, my son not the copper! He put the event down on the application, the copper who did the inspection seemed to find the event quite amusing! That was back in the mid 90's, things may have changed by now though.

Latest posts

Back