How much rib do you see

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

I think there was a thread on here a few days ago with pictures of how much rib people see ?

I seem to remember Ed Solomons and Hamster commented.

Tried the search feature but no luck . Help please to find the thread.

Thank you.

The amount I see is about 2.3 times what others see, I know this from shouldering their guns and the shock and awe when they shoulder mine.  :lol:  I'll try and see if I can do a pic sometime. I have shouldered Ed's old gun and that had more rib ! 

I don't ride targets above the barrel, I'd miss below if I did, but it does mean I don't lift my head and fast Teal and high incomers are easier as a result. 

Wow that's a lot of Rib hammy but if it's works for ya fair play 

an old saying from years ago was figure of eight 

meaning as you shoulder the gun the middle bead would cut the end bead in half 

Yes, thats way more than I could work with. Hamid is actually left eye dominant, but overcomes it. Maybe getting the gun below his sight line is a big assistance in this???

That isn't too far off what I see Hamster...perhaps a smidge more. Congrats for HG on Sunday by the way.

I only managed 85, but that was in the rain...and that bloody rabbit!

Yes, thats way more than I could work with. Hamid is actually left eye dominant, but overcomes it. Maybe getting the gun below his sight line is a big assistance in this???
I can shoot with a low set up with the same kind of methodology that prevents the left eye taking over but (I used to for years before I knew any better) the high rib picture simply allows better peripheral as well as frontal vision and awareness. I'm pretty sure I'm not unique and that a good few others do it who don't happen to have cross dominance issues. 

I can shoot with a low set up with the same kind of methodology that prevents the left eye taking over but (I used to for years before I knew any better) the high rib picture simply allows better peripheral as well as frontal vision and awareness. I'm pretty sure I'm not unique and that a good few others do it who don't happen to have cross dominance issues. 
HPX for you then! Popcorn..  :wink:

There's some footage somewhere of Gebben Miles shooting a rabbit clay, clearly showing that his cheek is some way off being anywhere near the comb, and consequently giving him a view that may possibly be even more extreme than the photo by Hamster.

Personally I see so little rib it's almost pointless putting one on. The high view position really wouldn't suit me, too long in the tooth to change now, but you can't say that Hamster's or Gebben's method is wrong - just look at their scores!

Funny how we all find a different way that works for us in the end. (Or maybe some never find the way?)

P.S. I tried the HPX, RSR and found it so alien to what I've done for decades. However, I was still breaking clay but couldn't believe how. It really screwed my brain and I'm not sure I'll ever get over it???  :smile:

I'd love to have a proper go with someones HPX.
Speak to Simbo on here. (But take you wallet with you. You may need it when he introduces you to John Jefferies).

(I mean to buy the gun, not that Simbo will cost you money! Although I have heard he enjoys a good pint!)  :smile:

just bought an old winny 8500 trap and shot it yesterday....saw about twice as much as hammies pic but still managed to shoot some sporting targets with it! :smile:

Your more than welcome to have a go with my HPX DSR Hamster but i think the 17" stock may be a bit long for you! ..Simbo's is alot more manageable size for you to try,we're always out around the south shooting so your be more than welcome to have a go and shoot a few rounds with it!

Interesting to read this....I see a bit less than Hamster but even if you do the £ coin trick it's surprising how much rib is visible.

Unlike Hamster though I do tend to shoot outdoors. 

Interesting to read this....I see a bit less than Hamster but even if you do the £ coin trick it's surprising how much rib is visible.

Unlike Hamster though I do tend to shoot outdoors. 
I've done more than my fair share of experimentation with rib pictures and not just with the 682e/PFS, but ultimately found that their use for ESP in any case is to arrive at a happy sight picture that allows fluid shooting rather than POI alterations. Once you go much higher than what I use, you begin to experience a certain detachment from the clay which defeats the object and will even cause missing under ! Too low and I feel myself lifting my head to see what's going on !

I think every one should experiment as it could change their perception on some things. 

Not quite sure I understand this thread! Surely if ur seeing more rib of the gun the barrels are pointing higher than where u looking!  Like a trap gun! So how would it cause a miss underneath target? Not picking fault in anyone's theory just getting confused!?!?

Not quite sure I understand this thread! Surely if ur seeing more rib of the gun the barrels are pointing higher than where u looking!  Like a trap gun! So how would it cause a miss underneath target? Not picking fault in anyone's theory just getting confused!?!?
It's a combination of factors, conventional indoctrination has always taught us that raising the comb raises the POI, in geometrical terms I don't dispute this but years and years ago practical experimentation showed me this is not the case, a good many others have also come to the same conclusion including Alan Rhone who I believe to be the first well known person to say so in print. 

The point of having a high rib set up is to benefit from better all round vision, (I believe most people will benefit to a degree), others can go as high or a little higher than mine and still maintain line contact with the speeding clay. Once you go really high the relationship becomes detached and inexact and finding the line can be fraught with flawed information received by the brain/eyes. I personally found that too much side rib/top rib vision interfered with things which then subconsciously causes you to drop below the bird and try riding targets (it's hard accepting that high ribs don't shoot high) so you drop low enough to cause actual misses underneath. 

Like everything there is the law of diminishing returns.

Latest posts

Back