Ower 25/7/15

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmokinn

first time back there for a while and they have made some great improvements and even after the rain on friday the carparking wasn't muddy...last time i struggled to get out.

fixed bridge over the stream now and the first thing i see is a raised gantry for stand one giving a different perspective on an otherwise flat ground a going away and a crosser that was rapidly losing pace and easy to miss.couple of crossers on stand 2 but stand 3 was a presentation i had not seen before a close left to right rabbit with a large bump deliberately placed after 10m which caused it to go straight up in the air then another rabbit further out with the same arrangement but turning this rabbit into a looper...great fun to shoot.

4 an incomer and going away 5 a rising going away coupled with a simo right to left dropping crosser which was awkward to hit consistently can't remember what stand 6 was!

7 an overhead simo pair going away then to the last 3 stands where it all changed a bit stand 8 a close looping roight to left paired with a midi that was crossing but going away at the same time giving the impression that it needed a lot more leed than it did....again hard to hit consistently.

then to the last 2 stands that brought everybody's scores down the wind had changed since it was set up and was now pushing them out to about 65/70m ! a simo pair with one going higher than the other hit the lower one 3 times which by what i saw was good as i saw many better shots blank it.

and then to the final stand a rising left to right  crosser that i managed to hit once a very deceptive target that no one hit consistently and many not at all coupled with a distant quartering teal which i again hit once by luck and many did not hit at all,this stand was a blank for many people again a change of wind had a factor in this.

no complaints though as the targets are the same for everyone,we went round a second time and i improved by approx 10 targets but the last stand was a complete blank this time.

a great first 100 bird comp with a wide variety of targets many of which were quite tricky but hugely enjoyed,unfortunately for them not very busy i will definitely try to be at the next one

congratulations to Pam and Jason on the shoot and the new addition that will be around in about 4 months :smile:

I shot this yesterday to, really enjoyed it.  Nice to see that they have put a fair bit of work in to place, last time I shot there at the clubman it wasn't looking too pretty.

Stand 6 was the 2 going-away birds; first slightly quartering from L-R, second slightly quartering from R-L.

I struggled on 5 not hitting any of the second bird, stand 9 I hit 3 of the lower teal, tried shooting the other on the way down but it was so hard to judge, stand 10 I hit 1 of the first target but none of the second.

I thought that 9&10 were just a bit too extreme, especially 10.  Both targets were so edgy and so far out, you could actually have hit them and they wouldn't have broke.  The 2nd bird must have been nearly 75 yards by the time you had picked the line up.   

mus have walked past you then as we went round twice and didn't leave till one.

stand 5 crosser i hit 3 each time...how did you do with the midi on stand 7 or was it 8 ..seem to have lost one of them in my memory :???:

when i spoke to pam she sad that they weren't setup like that but that the wind had changed to pushing them away rather than in,felt like i had acheived something just hitting a few!

on stand 10 i think everybody was misreading the crosser and it probably didn't need as much as we thought.

on the second round i chucked hull extreme fitasc 6.5s at them and they break anything if your on it...different breaks but same score on the teal,blanked stand 10 after hitting one of each on the first round

I left at the end as well, we shot the last round of the pool shoot.  The track leading to the shoot is fun to drive down in a 4x4  :smile:

I think the midi was on 8, there was the closer R-L crosser first then the midi was further out but quartering slightly to.  I hit four of those, it actually didn't need that much lead.

In regards to 9&10 I just hope that it's not put people off from going back next time, I honestly think the top boys would have struggled on those consistently.

The next one is the same Saturday as the clubman shoot at Wallers Ash is so I'll shoot Ower first then swing by Wallers on the way home.

might try that...not sure if shooting has to finish by one at wallers?

will check
I'm pretty sure that shooting has to be finished at Wallers by 1PM.

Depends how busy Ower is but you could get round there in 60-90 minutes if you start at 10 on the dot.

I see this ground is now registered and has its first shoot on 24th Jan. Not exactly on my door-step, but if nothing decent on nearer, then great to have another ground to visit. I look forward to hearing how it goes. Their open shoots have scored tough it seems.

They need to get the balance right with the targets down there.

I shot a couple of the Saturday club shoots down there in the summer and 7 out of the 10 stands were what I would call steady and the other 3 were just silly. 

Dont get me wrong I like to be tested but I was watching some AA shots struggling

Apparantley they have more land to use so hopefully they can expand nicely.

Latest posts

Back