Oakley 'M' frame lenses.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westley

Can anyone advise me as to how I can identify which lens is which for Oakley 'M' frames ?  One lens is a pale brown/orange colour, the other is a darker grey/black colour which is green mirrored to the front. I have searched the lenses for any identification number etc. but can find no trace. Do Oakley have a system of lens marking that I am unable to find ?

Green is G26, polarized too I think, I know mine is, the other will be most likely  V28 or persimmon

There is no id on the lense for colour or style, there are three lens shapes to fit the M frames, available in all colours

Last edited by a moderator:
Than you for that Rupert. I intend to call into an Oakley 'outlet' store in the near future to try and determine exactly what they are, but I will check the polarization using my fishing glasses. I just assumed that being shooting glasses, they would not have been polarized. Thanks again, W.

In the market for new shooting glasses, how do rate the Oakley m frames and what tint lenses would you guys recommend

In the market for new shooting glasses, how do rate the Oakley m frames and what tint lenses would you guys recommend
Well, I usually use the set of Pilla glasses that I have and with those I tend to only use 2 lenses, the Hi-Def 40 and the same in 75. I got the 'M'frames cheap and they came with 2 lenses, the ones described above and a second set of sort of pale orangey/brown with a slight blue tint. Having used both for a couple of weeks, I would make the following observations. I find the Oakley dark lens good when driving but NOT as good as a pair of the £20 Napier sunglasses that I have. The orangey Oakley lens is very clear in cloudy conditions, brightening things up generally. I find the Oakley lenses quite fiddly to change and have had the lens drop out when I had not fitted it correctly, they are certainly a required knack. The Pilla's are extremely easy with the pop stud arrangement. As for which is the better make, well the Jury is still out on that one but a majority vote has to be for the Pilla's. I find them better to see targets with in general all round use. Maybe I have not got the best Oakley lenses for shooting, I do not know. I am trying to be honest and fair to both, I just wish they were a lot less money.

I have used Oakleys up until recently for shooting and have now changed to the Pillas.  Like Westley - changing Oakley lenses is fiddly for me and I have dropped them, pinged them across a field, had them fall out also because I did not click them in properly and generally give them to the hubby to fix because I would end up snapping them in frustration.  Pilla lenses for me are superior and I do see more clearly with them.  They are also easy to change lenses.

We have several Oakleys in our household and tend to use them as sunglasses.

I now shelved pilla and use pivlok tactical clear and a comparable to pilla blaze orange. No more decisions re colour clear all the time unless really bright. Lighter than pilla very good clarity very comfortable and less than 100 quid for two lens set.

Thanks for that, I'm sure pilla are very good but I'd never fork out that much on glasses, but then again I said I'd never spend that much on a gun, any other alternatives for reasonable money I should look at 

Thanks for that, I'm sure pilla are very good but I'd never fork out that much on glasses, but then again I said I'd never spend that much on a gun, any other alternatives for reasonable money I should look at
I think the only fair answer to that is to get out there and try em. What suits you may not suit others really. Some find the nose piece on Oakley's intrusive, others can not see themselves spending Pilla money. Having said that I have bought lenses for the Pilla off fleabay at some good prices, like £40 for the 40 lens. Perhaps a shooting ground with a shop that has several brands of glasses, or maybe one of the Game Fairs, although if the latter, be prepared to spend the cost of a set of Pilla's just to get through the gate !

Latest posts

Back