Vest or Pouches?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmeGHeaD

Hey All!

As a total newbie, I'm putting together my kit little by little whilst waiting for the FEO in my area process my grant application, and I was wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages between shooting vests and pouches? Is it totally down to personal preference?

Exactly! all down to personal preference have not worn a vest for years just a good quality pouch which came from Alan Rhone takes 100 shells but you will either love it or hate it. i don't use a gun slip either just prefer to shoot gun and pouch and no other bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured it would be.... I'm not keen on vests, but don't want to run the risk of a full pouch pulling my trousers down! Maybe a sturdy belt will be required....

A decent vest makes a lot of sense, they usually have a sturdy leather shoulder patch which aids smooth mounting and protects the shirt underneath from the worst of the pounding. Having at least 2 pockets is also a boon not only for the ability to carry a few 7.5's  :D  but also being able to maintain balance in the garment so it doesn't pull you down unnaturally. Some also have back/inside pockets which can be handy. 

The pouch would be my choice in terms of fashion wear because it means you can show off your very best T shirts, shirts etc, plus of course the toned physique (Shaun will tell ya) :cool:  but on the downside after a full Sundays worth of a comp or three you will wish you hadn't worn your favourite Boss polo T shirt. 

The fashion stakes are reversed in the winter when you see heavy jumpers and coats adorned with a belted pouch.  :wink:

Vest for me as I shoot 2 different size of cartridges so 8.5 in one pocket and 7.5 in the other. Also the mesh vests seem to be the best all rounder for all weather conditions. 

Hmm.... I hadn't considered mounting - not the abuse that can be negated with a properly positioned shoulder pad. 

I I reckon I might take another look at them - I just can't get the whole 'dinner lady tabard' out of my head....

Thabks for the advice guys!

Both have their uses and some of the pouches come with their own wide webbing belt.

On a hot day with no shade a vest can leave you sweating like a Top of the Pops presenter at a school fete..

Could not get on with my vest - I don't seem to fit them properly and therefore prefer my leather pouch which can also hold my lenses, a boiled egg and my banana!

never tried a pouch....... Well not a cartridge one anyway. !!!

they always look a bit ........ American to me !!!

First time I saw them used it seemed only K shooters wore them and only because castelani sizes didn't go that big.

if its current fashion and Hugo boss or pal zilleri start to produce one then I may be swayed.

Both have their uses and some of the pouches come with their own wide webbing belt.

On a hot day with no shade a vest can leave you sweating like a Top of the Pops presenter at a school fete..
Haha! Made me actually '.'!

Maybe there's a market for designer skeet vests - I could see a diamond encrusted one for the super-rich shooters going down a storm...

Vest for me every time, I cant see any cons to it.

I like the leather sholder strip, I put four cartridges in my left pocket for no birds and then just the exact number of cartridges in my right pocket I will need for the stand. Also in my left pocket is my choke key.

I couldnt get on with a cartridge bag on my waist especally with it filled like a weight dangling around !

ATB

Matt 

Vest  for me too as I use 2 different sized cartridges and carry a few fibres too, so all the pockets come in handy but, the hubby loves his pouch which I brought him for Xmas, it came with a really nice leather belt and he wouldn't go back to a vest if I paid him! All down to personal choice.

A decent vest makes a lot of sense, they usually have a sturdy leather shoulder patch which aids smooth mounting and protects the shirt underneath from the worst of the pounding. Having at least 2 pockets is also a boon not only for the ability to carry a few 7.5's  :D  but also being able to maintain balance in the garment so it doesn't pull you down unnaturally. Some also have back/inside pockets which can be handy.

The pouch would be my choice in terms of fashion wear because it means you can show off your very best T shirts, shirts etc, plus of course the toned physique (Shaun will tell ya) :cool:  but on the downside after a full Sundays worth of a comp or three you will wish you hadn't worn your favourite Boss polo T shirt.

The fashion stakes are reversed in the winter when you see heavy jumpers and coats adorned with a belted pouch.  :wink:
Ah yes, I think I remember the 'Toned Physique' and the spray on tan, or was it the "Sponsored by Outspan" on the back of the vest ?

Vest for me as they fit quite well  :wink:

must be be some right chubbers on here if they can't fit into one?!  :wink: :lol:

Latest posts

Back