Gun Fit / Custom Stock

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnno9000

Hi all,

I've been shooting trap (mostly OT & ABT) for a few years now, very much enjoying myself and fairly consistent but certainly not shooting exceptional scores.

I always thought my second-hand grade-1 Miroku wasn't worthy of having something as fancy as a custom stock, and I don't have the bucks to go splashing out on a new gun but I read the article on shootclay site about travelling to Portugal to get a stock made with interest, and it really has got me thinking...

.....perhaps I dont have to have shoot with an inch+ of foam recoil pad, my thumb sticking into my glasses, a rubber comb raiser and the odd trigger pull that doesn't go off!?!

So, the question is.... anyone with experiences of getting a gun stock made for shooting trap? Who do I need to see / where do I need to go? What sort of cost is realistic if i'm not looking for a piece of 'mahogany'?

you need to speak to philr he had one done for his miroku in Portugal

MTM for a Miroku,   Grade 3 wood  can sort you for £375  if you want fancy wood, you pay the extra on the wood cost.

based in Cumbria, so not as far to travel as Portugal....

It really depends upon at what basis you want to shoot. If your happy just shooting and have no particular interest in winning then stick with what you've got providing it's somewhere close to fitting and is comfortable.

If, however you have your eyes on a prize at whatever level you shoot you will need a custom stock, PFS or similar, especially in a fast trap discipline.

Personally, if you're shooting a Miroku I'd look at a PFS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without being too controversial you have to ask what yourself what is motivation for doing such a thing? Are you a target or two of winning money prizes or do you just want to realise your potential ? It may sound crazy but for the cost of the new stock, a return trip to Portugal with hotel etc you could try out several new guns with perhaps an adjustable stock of the correct length and upgrade your gun for not much more money. I was thinking about the custom stock which would have cost between €800 and €950 depending on spec but I asked the advice of a coach and he said no! He checked my gun fit and suggested that the stock length was perfect what he then said was I could have a Perazzi comb adjuster fitted for less than €300 and that could take up any amount of changes required for a good fit. I know that you may have different requirements but it is worth a thought perhaps.

A final comment from the coach to ponder. A gun which fits you perfectly shooting in the wrong place is no where near as good as a gun that fits you not bad shooting in the right place... in other words don't think that a perfect fit means a perfect result there is a lot of shooter input.

True dat!

I was watching a couple of people shooting trap at the weekend (both shoot to a reasonably high level in their category's and have represented the country on numerous occasions). However the amount of barrel flip (particularly on the one) was massive (probably 12 inches downwards), so much so that the gun had to effectively be re-shouldered for the second barrel. The other example was much less pronounced but pretty obvious all the same.

It amazes me that they are either not aware of this issue or if they are, why they have not done anything about it. Surely its just a case of altering the pitch of the butt pad?

Just goes to show that you can shoot a badly fitting gun quite well.

DT

Thanks for your replies folks, much appreciated, and good questions that have prompted some thinking about this.

Firstly, forgive a dumb question, but I havent a clue what MTM or PFS are.... can anyone enlighten me?

Now, WHY BOTHER GETTING A NEW STOCK? - the answer to this is quite simple really, my current stock is nowhere near the right size for me - what has been said to me by the coach i visit - i'm 6-foot-4 a long neck and pretty sizeable hands. I've lost targets to not being able to pull the trigger properly, i occasionally get a kick as i left my head, and the back of my thumb presses into my glasses. So, i'm doing it for comfort, i'm doing it to avoid the frustration of lost targets, and I want to see how good I can shoot.

WHAT ABOUT A NEW GUN? A good question, and firstly I don't have thousands to play around with - my current gun was a second-hand bargain in good condition - and as I've tried a lot of second-hand (and other shooters) guns but genuinely i cant get one that feels right for my size.... i used to have the same problem with shirts until i found a custom shirt-maker!!!

Anyway, welcome any other recommendations or thoughts. Cheers!

Johnno9000

WHAT ABOUT A NEW GUN? A good question, and firstly I don't have thousands to play around with - my current gun was a second-hand bargain in good condition - and as I've tried a lot of second-hand (and other shooters) guns but genuinely i cant get one that feels right for my size.... i used to have the same problem with shirts until i found a custom shirt-maker!!!

Then don't think about getting a custom made stock anywhere other than the UK!  Travel, hotels and then the cost of the stock is going to be way more than a grand. Somebody suggested a stock made somewhere in the lake district for £350 or there about that sounds like its made for you. I made a suggestion was based on the fact you were willing to spend serious money travelling to have a stock made to your spec and that you said there were issues with your own gun re trigger... that would have made a really good second hand gun with an adjustable stock trading or selling your own gun a very good option... but it seems that this is not the case and you don't have that sort of cash to lay out. On that basis it my well be a good idea to have you gun overhauled by a gunsmith and a cheap stock made for it you would probably get away with £600 - £700 depending on travel costs for the job bare in mind this stock would be ,I think, basic. One good thing about this option is if you have a problem you don't have to go half way over Europe to have it sorted out

You won't get a stock made anywhere close to what Mutley has quoted. Double that and you might get a  new standard miroku stock but custom, no way. add another £300 on top for that  So a grand + at least. Anywhere south of glasgow is only a couple of hours away from Cumbria. 

You won't get a stock made anywhere close to what Mutley has quoted. Double that and you might get a  new standard miroku stock but custom, no way. add another £300 on top for that  So a grand + at least. Anywhere south of glasgow is only a couple of hours away from Cumbria. 
Hence my suggestion of trying to find a good second hand gun with an adjustable stock of the correct length trade up the old gun and for £1500 to 1750 get a nice gun! Not saying there is a problem with a mirok but he said there is a trigger that needs sorting out too. But I think maybe he did not know the true cost of the venture of a custom stock... which to be fair is probably why he asked in the first place :)

Temporarily lengthen your existing stock to assist in finding what you need.

Now, WHY BOTHER GETTING A NEW STOCK? - the answer to this is quite simple really, my current stock is nowhere near the right size for me - what has been said to me by the coach i visit - i'm 6-foot-4 a long neck and pretty sizeable hands. I've lost targets to not being able to pull the trigger properly, i occasionally get a kick as i left my head, and the back of my thumb presses into my glasses. So, i'm doing it for comfort, i'm doing it to avoid the frustration of lost targets, and I want to see how good I can shoot.

...and as I've tried a lot of second-hand (and other shooters) guns but genuinely i cant get one that feels right for my size.... 

Anyway, welcome any other recommendations or thoughts. Cheers!
from what I've just 'quoted' you saying, new stock is the way to go. I have seen a load of Italian Essiverie stocks, they are good, one of the Scottish OT shooters got a custom stock made for his Mirook in Portugal and he's on fire!!! Won AA St the English open sporting with it and winning selection shoots too, it's a nice job and it seems to be working for him!!! What you have to know before you go and do this, is exactly how you want the stock to fit/feel for you, so long as yo are confident that you know what you want...go for it?? 

Paul,   I make stocks, so the price is correct, if you want Fancy wood it costs more....

Sounds like Mutley is your man as even with a better grade of wood you are still only talking flights and hotel costs , unless a trip abroad for a stock is affordable... however since Mutley is on your doorstep if you need a minor adjustment made then he made it so its an easy fix? Also if you get the basic stock it leaves you some money to have the gun fettled by a good mirook smith?

To me it doesn't sound as tho you really have any way to decide just what it is you need in the way of dimensions.  In that regard something like a PFS would certainly be an assist.  Add-on gizmos for adjustable LOP and adjustable combs are way standard stuff and WAY cheaper than custom stocks PFS things and will let you reap all the benefits of a custom stock and also give you the opportunity to make it fir RIGHT.  

I'd love to have some high zoot custom stock but that is just not happening for me.  But the adjusto stuff gets me one that fits anyway. 

Hi John,

as I cant PM you,  how far North are you?,  if not too far, maybe take a run down and I can go through what you need, if you came on a Wed or Sat could go to the local ground and watch you shoot some ABT and go through suggestions with you, try some different stocks for grip size and I can add some wood for trial and error on my try out stocks, to see what you find comfy and work from there.

Have been supplying custom stocks for a number of years, if its any use reply and I will get my details to you.

Latest posts

Back