Raising my comb - adjustable or another method

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sian

I have been shooting with one of those plastic comb raisers on now for several months and I like the way it is but will want to make this permanent.  I would be interested in your views on whether to have an adjustable stock or have a piece of wood added to the stock.  

I do not think I would be a fiddler if I had an adjustable stock as I like things to be precise and once I have something set up would not want to change it.  I am concerned that if I have a piece of wood put in it might not be exactly as I want but that might be me overthinking things.

Anyhow I would like to know the pros and cons of both changes.  I would also like to know of good people for either way of doing this and if possible a rough estimate of cost for both ways.

I hope I am not asking too much here.  Thanks for any input.

hi Sian

have you considered the leather stick on job from recoil reducer bloke they are tapered and do not effect cast also very comfy on the face and they look very cool fourty quid ish available 2, 4 & 6 mm I think. That would be what I would do if you don't need to alter cast.

Another option is to fit one of the Isis comb raisers. See recoil systems website. Not very pretty but very comfortable I think. Available in different heights and not permanent which may assist if you sell. 

Ips, I looked at the pictures of the leather stick on jobbies but I think it might irritate me as it will not be smooth like the stock is.

Will, Lola May will never be sold even if I have 15 more guns so I do not need to worry about re-sale issues.

Cast will not change just need it raised.  I shall look at the Isis Comb Raiser.

they are smooth and will be lovely against your soft girlie cheek also slightly cushioned they are very comfy and imo look quite nice especially if your into black leather :)

hi Sian

have you considered the leather stick on job from recoil reducer bloke they are tapered and do not effect cast also very comfy on the face and they look very cool fourty quid ish available 2, 4 & 6 mm I think. That would be what I would do if you don't need to alter cast.
​I looked again at these - cheap really so if I did not like it not much to lose.   They say easy stick or easy release I cannot remember the wording now but basically what I want to know is once you put it on is that it until the day you want to remove it forever or can you take it off from time to time to ensure the wood is okay.

I know a few people that have gone down the Graco adjustable comb route, I have an adjustable factory fit stock on both my guns so it's definitely the way I would go. 

Edit : to add Simon at Doveridge costs about £180 ish including fitting 

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't comment on the Isis comb raiser, but my sister-in-law had the stock altered on her 686 evo to raise the comb by having timber inserted.  Tim Greenwood did a fantastic job on it for her and you really have to look hard to see where the inserts are.  Effectively it's a monte carlo stock now, much deeper and the comb is much flatter.  He took a staged approach to doing it, first using padding and tape to mock up the raised comb and making her shoot with it for a few weeks before physically altering the stock.  He then sent her off to shoot with it again for a while before completing the oiled finish on the stock to make sure it suited and to allow further adjustment if needed.

She ended up visiting him four or five times before he was happy that he'd achieved the best fit possible.  As a result, it wasn't cheap - around £500 I think.

Thank you Bebo - that makes me feel better about an insert.

Thank you Bebo - that makes me feel better about an insert.
​I'll take a few photos of the finished article and post them if that helps?  Won't be able to do it until tomorrow evening though.

Adjustable comb is the way to go. Ultimate adjustability of height and cast for you or anyone else who may use the gun in future. Simon at Doveridge will charge about £180>190 for a super job.

DT

Funny enough i was looking on the internet for something similar for my father the other day. I came across one THESE.. Looks quite decent but also cheap and a simple design. May be worth a try!!

Sian

they stick very well but remove easy and leave no mark I have used one and had it on off about four times and its still usable and sticky. I believe you can get new sticky stuff if required. They are very good and you know I don't usually like after market or bodge jobs.

I have managed to quote you Simon, delete it by mistake and can only type within this box now.  I have one at home but don't like the feel of it.

I have gone down the adjustable comb route on my current and previous gun. (Both done by Simon at  Doveridge who does a great job). i would say that this is a good way to go.

Regards

Damon

Defo proper adjustable comb. Have it done pro .have it set up pro and enjoy.

Had Mrs jaspers done on her A400 at Brierley guns. See pics on this site. Also have heard doveridge do good job. Budget around £250 for quality job which should include postage to/from.

Jasper

The advantage of an adjustable comb. Can be adjusted and re-adjusted. losing weight ( or gaining it heaven forbid )  or other factors may affect your gun fit so a tweak now and then is a matter of a few minutes works. A fixed bit of wood is always going to be noticeable unless you bay more for the work than an adjustable comb costs.

Adjustable comb can be matched to a new shooter if you sell the gun too.

Can't really see any major downsides.

As for the rubber sock thing. I'd always see that as a temporary 'try it and see' method. Be wary of getting moisture behind it 

You pay all that moolah for a nice piece of wood and then cover it up with a bit of brown neoprene ,,,,,, hmmmm! :)

Latest posts

Back