English open steelshot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetman

can anyone tell me when Steel shot was banned at dove ridge I seem to remeber using it there before 

Should be banned. They are reportedly dangerous on  clay gtounds where their are concrete solid objects and people in the vicinity that can be yhe victims of  ricochets etc.

Plus they useless if your anygood  at consistantly putting the gun in the right place on proper targets. 

Sorry yo be harsh but in my experience, even at DTL they are Sh!te in the shot sizes allowed at clay grounds. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Doveridge banned the use of steel shot many years ago on safety issues. Ricochet being the most common one.

i think Hodnet don't allow the use of steel also. 

What would happen if they ever banned lead would those grounds that banned it close 

kingsferry have been using it for years with no problem as well as Nottingham Dartford Northampton I know it is a lot to do with insurance for the grounds but if some grounds can get insured for it why can't the other's

Some people do talk utter bollox about steel.  Granted, it is not good for every discipline and I only use it for Skeet, because it makes sense...ACTUAL research, rather than pub-talk-bollox, has shown that steel is no more of a risk than anything else,

Dr Allsop conducted a series of tests at the ground, with the help of MSc student Susannah Shaw, which Mr May said were observed by Dr John Harradine of BASC, and a CPSA representative.

The report, written by Suzannah Shaw, suggests lead shot presents more of a ricochet risk than previously thought – but steel shot poses little if any extra risk. Tests showed that lead or steel shot could ricochet off the front of a Skeet high house and strike shooters on an adjacent layout. Kingsferry has since added extra screening between its Skeet layouts to prevent this.

Dr Harradine told us he attended the tests and the results did suggest the ricochet risk from steel was similar to that of lead.

Mr May said he sent a copy of the report to the CPSA for comment but to date had received no response.

The CPSA was unavailable for comment as Clay Shooting went to press.

Dr Allsop conducted a series of tests at the ground, with the help of MSc student Susannah Shaw, which Mr May said were observed by Dr John Harradine of BASC, and a CPSA representative.

The report, written by Suzannah Shaw, suggests lead shot presents more of a ricochet risk than previously thought – but steel shot poses little if any extra risk. Tests showed that lead or steel shot could ricochet off the front of a Skeet high house and strike shooters on an adjacent layout. Kingsferry has since added extra screening between its Skeet layouts to prevent this.

Dr Harradine told us he attended the tests and the results did suggest the ricochet risk from steel was similar to that of lead.

Mr May said he sent a copy of the report to the CPSA for comment but to date had received no response.

The CPSA was unavailable for comment as Clay Shooting went to press.
http://www.clay-shooting.com/news/club-chief-vows-to-strip-off-to-prove-steel-point/http://www.clay-shooting.com/news/club-chief-vows-to-strip-off-to-prove-steel-point/

I don't personally use steel shot.  If the CPSA handbook states that steel shot can be used for ESK, an event like the English Open should allow it.  Either that or it should be clearly publicised at the point of entering the competition ie. the CPSA competition entry page.

I guess that as most of the shooting press , Governing Bodies, Insurance firms snd governing bodies have taken the same stance on steel and its safety then it's reasonable to accept the argument. 

Also with the weight of the above it would seem reasonsble that somebody must have tested it before, insurance firms in particular tend to know fact from fiction. 

Looking at  the context of this thread it seems the question was rhetorical. Why not try a phone call or Email to the appropriate ground/s and present the evidence and bang the drum at them.

Not sure why People promote it.. if it's all you can use at your ground then ok.. fine Nobody's going to shoot you.. (not even the guy on the next range according to the evidence above)  

Still no good at at testing targets which is what most of us like. 

Other than that; Idgaf. :)

It's been banned at Doveridge for at least 5\6 years.

I use it for Skeet as do many others without issue, probably used 50K of them myself and never experienced an issue.

Jon.

Steel shot is perfect for skeet ranges,good consistent patterns and a bonus of lots more shot in a cartridge. I've shot over 70 hundred straights with steel shot to this date.Dont knock it till uve tried it paul120.

Steel shot is perfect for skeet ranges,good consistent patterns and a bonus of lots more shot in a cartridge. I've shot over 70 hundred straights with steel shot to this date.Dont knock it till uve tried it paul120.
I Agree with Woody100.  100% if you have not try it Paul120 how can you knock it.

yes steel is cheaper than lead .   but don't give the anti shooting brigade ammunition  (pardon the pun )     steel is crap at sporting targets ranges ,  ive seen more wildfowl pricked with steel , in fact  I would not ever use it  I would rather pack up ,     its cheap  but not up to the job !

I Agree with Woody100.  100% if you have not try it Paul120 how can you knock it.
I don't shoot skeet,  so yes from Woodys experience they are fine for that.  As I said,  at near distances they are prob ok.

I have tried them  on DTL. They were shoite.

Mixed them with lead on several  rounds at the local club 

Chippy kills at best or nothing with steel

Convincing kills with lead. No misses 

I went into it with an open mind hoping to save some money  but the results surprised me. Honestly didn't expect there to be so much difference. 

Still have some in the odds and ends box and thats where they are staying.  (Until I have to shoot skeet) 

Local Wildfowlers that I shoot with on a Wednesday have been saying that they have been having problems with their older Multichoke guns and finding that  the chokes  will no longer interchange with their other non wildfowling guns as they have swelled. They have been replacing the chokes regularly to avoid problems.  

They also pulled out an auto, granted an older non steel proof gun which was definately bulged. 

I guess the loads they use are not comparable to the skeet loads though .

Taking away the saftey argument. I  just don't think steel is  a viable alternative to lead for most of the shooting that makes it interesting for the majority. 

Its a personal choice at the end of the day.

Back