CENS and Mobile Phones

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpd1309

ShootClay Supporter
Evening

I'm looking to upgrade my Pro Shock Hocks to some nice digital CENS plugs, can anyone comment on how they fair against mobile phone interference, the electronic muffs I have are effected every time the phone registers with the network?

Thanks in advance

Trev

Just Get custom fit plugs.

Don't see the point in electronic stuff seems pointless to me.

Evening

I'm looking to upgrade my Pro Shock Hocks to some nice digital CENS plugs, can anyone comment on how they fair against mobile phone interference, the electronic muffs I have are effected every time the phone registers with the network?

Thanks in advance

Trev
​too much gain from your muffs trev, the electronics for cens are based on hearing aid technology so a little more than amplifiers you could try cens proflex and upgrade to electronic cens at a later date if you wanted

​too much gain from your muffs trev, the electronics for cens are based on hearing aid technology so a little more than amplifiers you could try cens proflex and upgrade to electronic cens at a later date if you wanted
​Steve

That's makes sense about the amplification, is there any advantage of the Proflex passives over the hock I've got?

IPS, not used them then?
No mate can't see the point I want total nothing noise no distraction. The only thing I can see it useful for is coaching and or reffing.

Only my opinion of course 

Funnily enough I have some electronic cans but very rarely turn them on as the noise reduction from the muff itself is usually sufficient. However at Beverley on Sunday I was aware of how loud the report was in the covered layouts (quite uncomfortable) so switched the cans on and hey presto, much reduced noise  :)

Go figure, the noise reduction technology actually works !

DT 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds a load of bollox to me mate ;)

Please note smiley .....

I've been using the Proflex competition for about a year now.

I get no interference from mobile phones, they allow me to have a normal conversation when switched on and I hear nothing when I switch them off when shooting.

​Steve

That's makes sense about the amplification, is there any advantage of the Proflex passives over the hock I've got?
​no. apart from the fact you can have a passive insert in or buy the electronic inserts (the cens bit) some people buy the cens proflex passive and then purchase 1 electronic insert and the other at a later date when the have more money available. it does acually work out slightly dearer in the long run.

I don't get why you would want to be able to hear background noise there is just no point other than wanting some high tech gizmo? 

I don't get why you would want to be able to hear background noise there is just no point other than wanting some high tech gizmo? 
IPS

I'm partially deaf, find it hard to hear all the experts commentating as I walk between stands, taking one on my hocks out will not protect what hearing I have left, hence the CENs questions. I dont have a any problem blanking out noise when I'm I the stand, just don't want to miss the expect options on my stance, comments on gun fit, cartridge type, etc. 

My job allows me access to all the gizmos I want, so trust me I spend my money wisely.

ATB

Ha. Yes you don't want to miss all that advice you never asked for :)

I use the Cens electronic and can honestly say MY phone does not interfere with them at all. Then again, my phone is switched off and left in my car on the car park. OTHER peoples phones can be a pain in the bottie though !

I've had CENS Proflex for about 2.5 months now and never noticed any interference from mobile phones and I often have 2 in my pockets (work and personal).

I like actives as often shoot in a group of 6 friends and found it hard to hear everyone when chatting. So more of a sporting ocial thing. I guess these trappies just keep quiet :)

I also find it useful to hear the trap launching.

They are affected by wind noise. You can get sponge type covers but I havent bothered but believe they fit over your entire ear.

I was concerned on the battery life so went for the + model which takes a deeper battery which does increase the module size somewhat. I havent needed to change the batteres yet and have been shooting at least 12 times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus one on this...no interference here -  speak to SoR who can help you get plugs sorted...

That's fine if you are in a trap line, shooting 25 'up the arse' clays, trying to focus on one shot at a time, switching concentration between stand by and on for 25 clays per line...but, not for other disciplines where you have to communicate with others, while wearing hearing protection...

I am profoundly Deaf and have found that one of the side effects of deafness,  is being unable to hear. I did a Corporate event last Saturday where around 60 people of both sexes and,  ages ranging from 6 to 76. Most of these people had never shot before, I therefore had to give basic instructiion to each person. I used my Howard Leight electronic cans from 2.00pm until I finished at around 7.30pm. I had the cans on all the time and was able to converse with each shooter without any problems whatsoever. I have a set of Cens digitals because I was unable to find a pair of 'cans' that did not catch the stock on my gun. I now use the Leights for all my shooting and instruction work and have come to prefer them to the Cens. The only 'down' side was, I had to suffer 12 issues of The Field magazine, but hey,  a small price to pay. I was not troubled by mobile phones, background chatter (of which there was a lot) farting cows or any of the other sounds some people manage to pick up on their hearing defenders.  The dearest are not always the best !

Latest posts

Back