Bought a Beretta semi

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

I have been thinking about buying a semi for a while now and decided to let the gun find me.  I tried several guns including 2 from Turkey Armsam and Hatsan, a Remy, Benelli, Franchi, Browning, Winchester but in the end a Beretta 391 Urika which just felt right.  Straight to the shoulder, good balance and it felt easy in the swing.  It is a sporting model with a 28” barrel and flush chokes.

I will be doing a round of sporting next weekend but as it was raining on Sunday I wussed out and did a round of DTL with my son swapping between the Miroku and the 391. Scores were even between the guns at an average of 22, not done it for a while!  Oh – I asked permission to use the semi before we started, didn’t want to p1ss anyone off accidentally. 

It is so much easier to clean than my wife’s Remy 1100 and for the first time I am beginning to understand what some of you call sight picture.  The 391 just seems to find the clay without me searching, or at least that is my crude description. No idea about shot pattern or whether it shoots high/flat etc, it just seems to break clays with me somewhere on the other end of it!

No noticeable recoil, never been a problem for me, but it is heavier, began to notice that towards the end.  It is not a problem thankfully just a difference.

Now I have a decision to make on which gun to use each time I go shooting, for wet weather it will always be the 391, even if I am shooting from a shed!

Congratulations, you have joined the ranks of discerning shooters who have discovered the virtues of a semi auto, in fact Les53 will be along in a minute to extol their virtues for shooting Trap. Just bear in mind though that some semi auto's have extremely cold stocks which necessitate the use of gloves at all times, including Summer !         :angel:

Congratulations, you have joined the ranks of discerning shooters who have discovered the virtues of a semi auto, in fact Les53 will be along in a minute to extol their virtues for shooting Trap. Just bear in mind though that some semi auto's have extremely cold stocks which necessitate the use of gloves at all times, including Summer !         :angel:
And he's going to tell us that ABT has never been better than under the current regs.  :eek:

There you are you see, he IS converted, he is even shooting AUTOMATIC Ball Trap !  Maybe that is the next challenge, Automatic Ball Trap with an Automatic shotgun.............................. ;)

P.S.

Does he drive an automatic car too ????

I have been thinking about buying a semi for a while now and decided to let the gun find me.  I tried several guns including 2 from Turkey Armsam and Hatsan, a Remy, Benelli, Franchi, Browning, Winchester but in the end a Beretta 391 Urika which just felt right.  Straight to the shoulder, good balance and it felt easy in the swing.  It is a sporting model with a 28” barrel and flush chokes.

I will be doing a round of sporting next weekend but as it was raining on Sunday I wussed out and did a round of DTL with my son swapping between the Miroku and the 391. Scores were even between the guns at an average of 22, not done it for a while!  Oh – I asked permission to use the semi before we started, didn’t want to p1ss anyone off accidentally. 

It is so much easier to clean than my wife’s Remy 1100 and for the first time I am beginning to understand what some of you call sight picture.  The 391 just seems to find the clay without me searching, or at least that is my crude description. No idea about shot pattern or whether it shoots high/flat etc, it just seems to break clays with me somewhere on the other end of it!

No noticeable recoil, never been a problem for me, but it is heavier, began to notice that towards the end.  It is not a problem thankfully just a difference.

Now I have a decision to make on which gun to use each time I go shooting, for wet weather it will always be the 391, even if I am shooting from a shed!
Hi I just had to respond to your post and must say I agree with every thing you say regards semi auto's particularly the Beretta.

I have owned an a400 Xcel  for two to three years now, to begin with I only used it occasionally as second gun but as time went by it became apparent not only to me but also the people I shoot with that I was shooting better with it than I did with (dare I say it my K-80) , fast acquisition of targets light on recoil and weight, very very pointable ! I do love K-80 but may be its time for her to go! If you are struggling with the weight of the semi do not get a K-80

Dave

I have to say that the use of a semi auto in Competition..............................well, it's a bit like cheating really !   :smile:

I have recently bought a beretta A400 Xcel  and after being very anti semi auto have grown to quite like it ( can't believe I'm actually writing that!  ) 

Went down the semi auto route after suffering with a shoulder problem but now after just a couple of months shooting it I'm feeling the benefit.  Shot county championship skeet last weekend which I only usually shoot once or maybe twice a year and was delighted with a score of 94 and even more delighted with my first 25 straight on one of the layouts. The semi seems to be working well .

Now my wife wants one....

The Remy is heavier and she wants to see a game version as it is meant to be lighter, I think?

What have I started.

I wonder how long it will be before one of the top guys picks one up and starts winning stuff with one ?

I wish Krieghoff did a semi!!?

Ps I am that Guy with the K-80 underpants ,socks and number plates!!

Dave  

Last edited by a moderator:
More and more discerning shooters are turning to the semi-auto. There was even one at Purbeck last Saturday.

The respectable ones from established manufacturers really are rather good.

I'm not precious about semi's chucking shells around but it really is about time the clay variety came equipped with a two shell catcher. One of the things that's tended to put me off is the distraction when an empty hits the side of the cage and bounces around while you're trying to get into the second bird.

Have to agree about the shell catcher, I suffer occasionally from ricochets when in a cage, and of course the chorus of fluffy rabbits and insults when in a covered stand. Much of the latter, of course, is jealousy.

Latest posts

Back