Side by side vs over and under.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beechin

Been trying to get my misses shooting but my 30" beretta is to heavy for her to handle safely. So iv been looking at getting her a 26"barrel 12g. But would a sbs with the same barrel length be lighter then a o/u only reason I ask is iv seen a women shooting with them at my local. Plus there a some cheap ones about just in case she does like shooting it can become my game gun then. 

Lighter is not always better to be honest for a few reasons particularly recoil.  She will build up muscle memory if she keeps up with it and be able to handle the weight of an average gun.  Ive got a Beretta SP 28" 12g - nothing posh but I like it, recoil fine etc.  I am going to say if you want her to actually enjoy it then don't be thinking about a gun that could be your game gun - this is said with love not malice :)

Lighter the gun the greater the recoil.  Is it really too heavy for her to handle safely?

Four women I know (including me) have beretta guns (DT10, SP1, 682 Gold E and a 686 Evo) with either 28" or 30" barrels that they can shoot without any problem at all.

Most women that haven't shot regularly are going to struggle a bit the first time they try, as it's using muscles differently to what they are used to. I know I did. However, after a few goes it gets easier each time.  Start off with a maximum of 25 targets and build up from there.

My sister-in-law learnt the hard way that you shouldn't got for a gun based just on weight.  She insisted she couldn't handle an o/u and got a benelli semi-auto with a composite stock that was very light.  Trouble is, it didn't fit her, couldn't really have the stock shortened or altered to improve fit and she just couldn't shoot properly with it even though it didn't make her arms ache.  She now shoots a 686 Evo with a heavily altered stock (shorted and with a raised comb).  It doesn't make her arms ache any more as she's got used to using it, it fits properly and she can hit clays with it (provided she points it in the right place).

Edit: cross posted with Sian - great minds think alike ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with Sian and Bebo. They should know.

But, I would just add that if she REALLY can't handle a full weight 12b then a lighter load in a lighter gun may be worth a try. ie 21 or 24g cartridges in a 7lb game gun may do the trick. Stick with O/I though. ?

I got to be honest, both myself and a couple of other friends found it tiring holding up the barrels on the 12g for long periods on the first couple of times we ever went shooting. OK, I'm no Jeff Capes, but I'm no weakling either! It's just like what has been said above, you are using some muscles in a different way and different scenario, and it can take a little to get used to.

PS, now I shoot two 8gauge shotguns...one in each hand.....arms outstretched... firing 78g loads for 10 hours a day like a real hero! :rolleyes: :wacko:

For any beginner I think it is worsened by the fact that you take ages fussing over how you've mounted the gun and faffing about before you shout pull.  If I had to hold the gun up ready as long as I did when I first started shooting I think my arms would still ache now.

It's not just the weight though.  she Is quiet a small girl and the stock would really need shorting probable to about a 13" lop. I don't want to be buying a gun and messing with it for after the first time out she goes I don't like it because that's what my misses is like. 

It would be worth taking her to a decent ground that has a stock of guns to choose from, such as Coleys or EJC. They will have one to fit. Make a good first impression. A have a go session at EJC is about £30 I think, including proper instruction, proper loos and nice coffee!

Now LoP is a totally different issue.  Getting a SxS won't sort that issue out, unless you buy one with a short stock.

I'm 5'4ish and don't have particularly long arms so have mine shortened to 13.5. If you were closer I'd say have a go with mine.  However, if you look on gun trader there are a fair few reasonably priced O/Us that already have shorter stocks.  This one for example:

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Beretta_Shotgun_687_For-Sale_150416123003001

You can always resell it if she doesn't like it.

Definitely don't go for a .410.  It's much harder to hit anything with one of those than it is with a 12 bore.  I've got one and doing the same round twice, first with my 12b and then with the .410 there was a good 10 to 15 targets fewer hit with the .410.  It was OK on the close stuff, but anything at any distance and it was a struggle.  Cartridges are also a lot more expensive.

My 9 year old son uses a 20bore hatsan junior semi auto,very light,low recoil,stock lengh has spacers to allow for adjustment  and this size bore will do a lot more than a 410 plus they are very cheap to buy.Any auto even in a 12 bore will be lighter with less recoil than a side by side or over under.  

Ps as will said get to a well stocked gun shop,for you doveridge is a good bet,it has lots in stock and you can try before you buy.  

Last edited by a moderator:
See if you can find a ground that has a Yildiz 20 bore O/U, Youth model, as an Instruction or Club gun. I used one of these for Instruction purposes and they weigh in at  around 6lbs 3ozs. with a stock L.O.P. of 13 1/2". Used with 21 gram cartridges, there has never been a complaint regarding recoil. As a first time, have a go gun, they are great. Remember that her first 'lesson/have a go'  is CRITICAL,  as to whether she returns or decides "this is NOT for me", so I would urge you to go to a Professional and not go down the "here I'll show you" route. I do several Corporate days each year and the number of Ladies who openly admit being terrified because of some previous 'shooting experience' is incredible. All down to being wrongly 'Instructed' at some previous event. Once she has decided that "Yes, this is for me" then I would follow the advice already give by 'Girls who know' and get her a 12 bore and have it fitted for L.O.P. Good Luck.

Hi

Must agree with Sian and Bebo. Mr Hewland also gives good advice as that is what my wife and myself did.

My wife is really small (4, 10") as am I at 5,3" put us the kids and the rest of the family together and we look like a bunch of hobbits (not with the hairy feet). :smile:

That aside, my good lady easily manages her 12g  28" MK70 with a LOP of 12.5" and 28g cartridges. Just takes her time and has one of the most original way to break her gun you will ever see.

Damon

I actually have no idea how much the gun I am getting weighs, only that I can handle it. Before this I have shot my husband's gun, his father's gun and my brother-in-law's gun. All far too long for me, all 12g, but I've had no trouble once I got used to the recoil. I did get a shooting vest with a gel inlay, which helped.

I'm 5'4 btw, and a lady, if that wasn't clear :ahappy:

I did pick up a perazzi something-or-other at the dealers and MAN that thing was heavy! No way I could've used that, so there are guns that are too heavy, I know that.

See if you can't go to a dealer or a ground with guns to try out, find one she likes the weight and feel of, and have the stock shortened to fit. It's what I will do!

The trouble is, as a newcomer, you just won't judge this well. (I know because I didn't). Firstly, as has been said, with experience you will spend much shorter periods of time holding the gun. Only newbies stand there like a statue holding the gun awkwardly and for too long. (Don't be offended, this is normal at first). Secondly, when you get the gun shortened to fit it will not only become lighter, but will feel much lighter as the weight will be closer in and your arms will be less extended.

I recall watching Amber Hill and Amy Easeman when they were 12 years old, both making the gun look like a feather.

Latest posts

Back