Rain - wood or synthetic?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

Hi

I have not shot in heavy rain, but it will happen and I am concerned about the lovely wood on my MK60.  If I get stuck in a downpour could it damage the gun. It would be dried and cleaned ASAP.

I was thinking about getting a gun with a synthetic stock/forend.  What do you all do with your expensive carefully looked after guns?

Usually the higher grade the gun the better the stock is properly  finished with oil and pretty much impervious to rain.any marks can be usislly remedied by a quick application of stock oil. 

I've been on game shoots where it's been monsoon conditions all day and cold and it's not affected the my 100 year old gun with a good oil finish one bit. 

On an mk60 or any mid priced gun wherevthe wood grain will probably be a bit more open and not fully oil finished  it would be more cost effective and more pleasing to the eye to buy a bottle of stock oil and spend a bit of time over a few weeks  rubbing it in than buying a synthetic stock.  

I always associate synthetic stock with really harse environments like wildfowling where they also get covered in sand, salt and bashed about a bit. 

Trees grow outdoors!

A well oiled stock will shrug off a storm. Dry it off and dress any dings or scratches after use and it'll last a lifetime if not many lifetimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil finish on gunstocks can be easily refurbished in the event of accidental bumps and scratches.

Dents can be steamed out using a hot iron over a wet cloth applied to the bruise, scratches can be removed by the judicious application of rubbing with fine wire wool , scotchbrite pad or silicone carbide paper ( wet & dry) and then re-application of linseed oil or similar dressing .

If you get an oil finished stock wet it can white spot or bloom . Dry thoroughly in a warm environment ( not near the Aga) once dry rub with linseed oil . A spot of oil as big as a finger nail is enough for one side of the stock . Any more results in a sticky mess.

If you get an oil finished stock wet it can white spot or bloom . Dry thoroughly in a warm environment ( not near the Aga) once dry rub with linseed oil . A spot of oil as big as a finger nail is enough for one side of the stock . Any more results in a sticky mess.
Good point. Don't overdo the oil.  It can take a very long time to soak in/dry if there's too much. 

I rendered a gun unusable for 3 months by doing too much too quickly. It was as sticky as a toffee apple until it dried off.

Thanks for the replies. Didn't really want to change my gun. It fits really well.

but.......I am tempted by a Benelli M2 just for something entirely different.

Latest posts

Back