Fauxdegla Shooting Ground

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Pinnegar

I was up in north Wales today seeing my parents in Ruthin so felt it would be rude not to squeeze in a quick sporting round at Fauxdegla's facility. I was really impressed by the venue; after seeing mainly negative posts (granted from a few years ago) when I searched for information I wanted to show some pictures and my experience of the ground.

100 Sporting Round = £25 with both Fibre and Plastic wads allowed.

Firstly, what a breathtaking area to be based in. I really do love this part of North Wales as I have done a lot of mountain biking here.

WAjfqJq.jpg

On to the stand layouts...

1: Away in front O/R L-R High Incomer

2: L-R Rabbit O/R R-L Looper

3: R-L Quartering Away O/R R-L Quartering Away

4: L-R High Crosser O/R L-R High Crosser

5: Overhead O/R Overhead

6: Mini Away O/R L-R Crosser

7: R-L Looper O/R R-L Looper

8: R-L Crosser O/R R-L Crosser

9: High Teal O/R L-R High Looper

10: L-R Crosser O/R R-L Crosser

11: Overhead Driven O/R R-L High Crosser

Stands 9 and 11 really tripped me up. Very testing targets that are really (for a beginner) far out. The rest of the layout was nice and friendly with a few tricky birds. 

Lovely scenery and promatic traps mean even billy no mates can have a nice wander round:

KVtnZgQ.jpg

KtmEo8Z.jpg

After the sporting round I tried my hand at a round of Skeet, after one of the groundsman having to explain to me what I am meant to do. It seemed fun, I hit 23 of the 25. Beginners luck maybe? Or no pressure from other shooters around?

After the sporting and skeet rounds I grabbed a bite to eat in the cafe which was very reasonably priced and tasty food. Beans on toast, which made a nice change from the standard sausage and egg rolls!

A very enjoyable mornings shooting and a cracking facility. No idea what this DTL business is though, but there seemed to be some serious people shooting that....

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post and lots of info. Well done. Never been there myself but after looking at your pics might just have to have a day out to Wales. 

Very good review! no where near me not likely to attend there but if i was i'd dig out this post!!

I shot the BO there a couple of years back.... they had some 'right targets' on that day!

If reviews like this are genuinely helpful for people I would be more than happy to do the same for all the grounds I get out to. 

I did feel that some of the targets were a bit easy; but that's a nice confidence booster when your closest shoot is set by Mr.Lovatt!

You must have been there later on in the day or else you could have had a round of Skeet with me :)

Until last week I had only shot at FD - however I went to Mid Wales to see the ground as I am shooting in the Welsh Inter-counties next Sunday

All I can say is that I like it - we generally have a Saturday Skeet club (kick off at 11am) however most were at the English at Northampton (of which a few came in high in the class - well done Ian Cunliffe and Marc Haley)

If the conditions were as windy as they say then they had the upper hand - for FD having no wind is an exception!!

I've shot at FD a few times.  Nice ground, beautiful setting and good facilities.

Sadly the sporting targets didn't change much between visits (and they were months apart!) but I'd have no hesitation going back ?

I'm going to go there a couple of times this summer.

My aunt lives 25 miles from the ground, and 50 miles from Dovey Valley, another ground i'd like to shoot at.

I've shot at FD a few times.  Nice ground, beautiful setting and good facilities.

Sadly the sporting targets didn't change much between visits (and they were months apart!) but I'd have no hesitation going back ?
That's not surprising really. Fauxdegla (and Llandega before it) has really always been dedicated to trap. Mike is a keen trap shooter and I guess that's reflected in the grounds focus.

I shot in the ABT home international there a few years ago, lovely ground and scenery,very good targets on the trap layouts, only problem was having to stop the rounds to move the sheep away from trap houses ?

Latest posts

Back