Balancing Act

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnylizzy

I have a Browning 425 32" job by and while I really like the gun, I feel it could do with a little weight in the back to bring the point of balance back a bit. I do like the heavy barrels as they smooth out my swing and make it harder for me to stop the gun when pulling the trigger etc,etc, but I feel it could be a little livelier in the front. How much weight added in the stock it too much? To get it to balance on the hinge pin requires near to a metric tonne so what should I do? Cheers guys.

Work out where the current balance point is, and try and add enough weight to bring it towards the pin..and try that.

Adding weight into the stock, won't "feel" much different on overall weight...so just do what needs doing and try it.

Wow....... That much???? I did stuff a load of alloy wheel weights in the end and got it balanced on the hinge pin, felt fine but I thought I would be seen as a mad man putting that much weight in it so I took it all out. I'll stick it back in so. Thanks for the input guys.

As above, don't be afraid to shove weight in the stock, especially if the stock is short. Does it have extended multi choke? If so, try taking them out. How does it feel? If great, buy some Mullers..

I used 6oz of fishing weights in the stock of one of mine, it has now gone from nose heavy to an evenly balanced gun.

When I added weight to my MK38 stock it did balance on the pin, but I did not feel that it changed the way it felt that much. The barrels still weigh the same so swinging them will take the same effort, our CG is heavier and balances on the pin too but handles totally different due to light barrels.

I added weight to my 425 30" gun. It was ridiculously heavy. I had to fill the stock completely full to get it to balance. Got rid of the lead in the end. Next gun I get will be lighter and backweighted if possible.

There's a lot to be said for a not too heavy set of barrels to start with. In theory at least you can add weight both ends and in the required area but stuffing the stock full of lead can only really guarantee balance, not handling. 

Latest posts

Back