Can trap shooting be done without the need to be a robot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b

Ok every time I try and shoot any of the trap disciplines like a trap shooter it all goes to sh*t,what I mean by trap shooter style is head planted on stock gun dead still eyes out to correct place blah blah blah,this results in a miss and a smack in the cheek from the gun.Then the way I feal comfortable doing it is gun down but closed, eyes out and steady then when gun touches shoulder I call and sometimes this works great and other times it is way to inconsistent.

Realy don't know what to do for the best,keep trying to get my method better,or change to a more traditional trap style.

Well Paul I believe yes it can. I too have difficulty with a robotic style I find I am too tense and swing becomes jerky. I have what 40up refers to as a one piece mount were there is always movement some were and I call as soon as mounted. As you say the problem is consistency BUT having tried different methods I have always reverted back to what for me feels natural.

So to summarise yes it can but prob will never enjoy the same level of consistency as a "text book" method.

My advice for what it's worth is if you are sure it's the only way for you then don't try to change to much just try to refine what you have. I find the primary danger with this style is rushing everything you can use this style successfully but it does not need to be a fast mount. I also find taking a deep breath before or during the mount helps to steady things.

Hope some of that is useful.

Don't try with a sporter Paul I am AA class but can not shoot c class scores with a sporter ,give me a trap gun and no one fazes me,been up there with the best no problem

However one mounts and calls the important thing is to give your eyes time to adjust and settle at your 'look point', be that hard or soft focus. As IPS has said do what feels natural then refine and cut out as many variables with your pre shot routine as you can. Fast trap is all about timing. In my humble opinion, however you do it, the pre shot routine must be somewhat robotic for consistent timing. Robotic doesn't have to mean tense. Robotic routine, smooth relaxed shot. 

Sorry I forgot to say fast trap not dtl,realy don't think its the gun that's problem it can be changed to a different set up very easily and i have tried them all but always come back to the way i like it.

Paul

Just a thought but maybe your hold point could be changed. Sidney and I prefer a high gun hold so you could experiment with that.

I have to come down with the gun hold to stop me getting to far in front or over the top,on the wide angles i sometimes have to slow down  mid swing.

Imo high gun hold requires very flat shooting gun and it's not a technique for everyone.

Ps

Oops sorry Sidney :)

Mine too sid.

Although I hate to admit that it kind of contradicts my previous statement on other threads about being able to adapt to any poi. However in my defence I stand by it.

I have to come down with the gun hold to stop me getting to far in front or over the top,on the wide angles i sometimes have to slow down mid swing.
In my experience there could be several of reasons for what you describe.

Among the many:

It could be that you are not seeing the clay properly before you move. This is caused by reacting and moving before it's properly seen ie. When its still a blurred streak and going like stink. you then move along an anticipated flight line and assumed and too fast, very quickly getting in front and over the top.

The other reason that springs to mind is that you move the gun with the arms rather than the whole body as a unit.

A reasonably experienced trap shooter watching you should be able to help.

So, Paul, have you given any thot to having a qualified coach give you a look?

Just remember, free advice (like you get here) can often be worth what you pay for it

In the time you mount your gun and See the clay Paul I would have broken it gun up and my gun would be on the way down no one has won anything shooting gun down at trap in 20 years .

I have had a trap coach have a look and he thought I should go down the robot route,if I can find someone to get my style a bit more slower and consistant I think ill get there but I would sooner stop doing trap than be a robot.

Deerhunter I only call when the gun is in the shoulder so will be gun up but moving a bit.

There is a guy who shoots UT at a club I go to who sets up with his gun just out of his shoulder pocket and then calls for the target.... he is bloody hopeless, although I am not certain that it is entirely down to his routine. Horses for courses at the end of the day if you can't do it one way try the other . I had the good fortune to see the video of the late Bob Braithwaite the other day... now that is something worth watching!  I have never seen a gun mounted so smoothly... it worked for him!

Go to a UT shoot and hope Kev Borley is there, watch him closely, its a gun out of shoulder, move it up and in and head to stock in one swift movement, then pull almost as soon as gun is in, BUT he stays still for a very short while to get proper focus on the target, then shoots it probably quicker than most.

The secret is seeing the target before you move the gun..

For the doubters that this style can work I have two words

Alberto fernandez

Latest posts

Back