RE Ranger Falcon Pro or Pilla Panther

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boardie2986

Hi All, just looking for an opinion any any recommendation. I have had Hidefspex since there early days and considering upgrading to either the newer panther, however I notice RE Ranger Falcon becoming more popular. Any one any opinion on the RE Rangers?

Thanks

I liked the Rangers enough to buy them instead of Pilla...glasses are a personal preference thing, only way to know is try them and see!!!

I use RE Ranger XLW and the are fine and not too expensive. Expense for me is the word here because if you can afford them ,Pilla, then why not? They have a huge reputation a lot of the very best shooters use them so they must have something going for them. On the other hand RE Rangers are at a price where affording a new colour of lenses is no big deal, about £50 a set so you can have a full colour range at reasonable cost god knows how much you would go through for the same number Pilla lenses. But then again you my be a one colour of lens does all type in which case the cost is not so great.

Thanks for the comments. The cost of the pilla is what's putting me off considering how much better value the RE Ranger seem to be. The additional lens are much cheaper in comparison to Pilla also.Is there much difference in the quality of the lens in comparison to looking at blaze clays?

Ed Lyons is the man for these details but I think I would not be too far off saying he has recommended Randolph shooting specs as a cost effective alternative to some other makes. Another make you may want to look at is Castellani they are similar in design but cheaper than Pilla the lenses are made by Zeiss and available in the same tints as you find in the Pilla range a bit cheaper.

edit

One thing I would say about Randolph is that as a trap shooter I find that I can see the frame of the glasses when looking for the target mainly down to my gun hold point... it does not bother me but it may bother you or you may not even see it as it depends on where you are looking with the gun premounted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the Pilla for a couple of years now and with regards to lenses, I have only ever used 2 of the 4 lenses that I have. I use the 75 for most of my shooting, switching to the 40 if someone has switched the light on. I can not recall being out in any light condition that has required more than the 40 lens. So, by all means buy an array of lenses, just be prepared to leave most of them in the car.

P.S.

Only just found out that 50 shades of grey is not an advert for Pilla !

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only really used the 65 and the 40 occasionally and could count the amount of times I used the 25 on one hand. The  44n or 66n could be a useful lens to have as it seems to suit the grey skies in Ireland and the UK. However the price for one lens is ridiculous considering the price of the full set including a new frame.

Latest posts

Back