CPSA Courses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertBeard

The very latest issue of "PULL" has an article devoted to courses which reminded me that I resolved some time ago to do both a Sporting Refereeing course and also a Safety Officers course.  It might suit me to do them whilst I can't shoot being troubled with my Sciatica.

I went to the CPSA website as suggested and low and behold there is not one CPSA course available anywhere in the country at the present time!

Come on guys please get the system joined up and promote courses when you have something on offer not when there is nothing available on the shelf to sell!

Whilst I agree with what you say Robert, I read recently a letter published in 'Pull' regarding a lack of  qualified Refs. The question being asked was, why there is not a queue of 'younger' people wanting to become qualified. I think the answer is self explanatory. Why would an active shooter want to stop shooting in order to stand (or sit) in one place, regardless of the weather for often 8 hours or more, without or at best, a minimum break AND have to pay some £75 for the priviledge ? As a result it tends to be us older shooters who, for one reason or another have decided to try and put something back into the sport or are simply masochistic. One only has to go back on this Forum and read about the quality of some Referee's, usually written by those who are not prepared to wear 'the hat' themselves.

P.S.

I think you may have to wait now until next year,  to find a course. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As you know in abt ot ut we ref ourselves and don't get paid for the privilege. Maybe the same could be implemented in other disciplines. Many don't like doing it but much can be learned about the targets and the release by watching other squads.

P's

Robert I sympathise my friend. Do the stretching exercises religiously and often. Hooe it clears up soon.

I have an MRI scan booked for Tuesday and see the consultant a week on Monday so I hope for some progress soon!
Robert, not sure if you've tried this but rolling a towel and placing behind your back in the lumbar region (or using a lumbar roll) can help relieve some of the symptoms of sciatica when sitting.. Also if able, it is better to keep as active as possible, however shooting might not be the best thing..

And what tinker said but scotch. Way mote effective than ibuprofen imo.

Good luck Robert hope it's not too bad an episode I really sincerely feel for you mate. You have to have sciatica to understand the type of pain were talking.

Double post

And what tinker said but scotch. Way mote effective than ibuprofen imo.

Good luck Robert hope it's not too bad an episode I really sincerely feel for you mate. You have to have sciatica to understand the type of pain were talking.
Agreed. Hope you get sorted soon Robert.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

About 3 months ago I felt a twinge in my back and carried on as normal.  The next gym session highlighted the fact that it was not just a twinge and probably made it worse.  Still carried on as normal as it takes about 3 months for muscle and anything else to heal itself properly but its just got steadily worse and gone right down the left leg as far as my ankle. Docs been good and am on neural analgesics and naproxen.  NHS physio was a disappointment.  

I've had it before about 12 years ago and had an op to fix a prolapsed disc bulge pressing on my sciatic nerve.  Last time wasted a fortune on a chiropractor that the surgeon said basically stole my money as there was nothing that she could do. I've got a strong feeling its as bad again hence the MRI scan and visit to the consultant shortly.  Presently just managing to hobble around the house or on crutches if I venture out.  This is something you would only wish on your worse enemy!  Only an MRI scan with contrast can see what is wrong. X-rays are useless and can only show discs thinning due to age.

Currently, I think that possibly every training course that the CPSA offer is not good value for money. Certainly since the days of 'The Academy ' the standards are very poor. Sadly when coaching was run and organised by a coaching committee comprising regional coaches , HQ, thought that they could do a better job and disbanded the regional committees.

History now proves HQ to have made a grave mistake.

I was shocked that the writer of the PULL magazine article openly attacked a rival organisations (BASC) coaching structure as it was co-operation between the two organisations that created the present system which enabled a qualified coach to be accredited by City & Guilds, something that the CPSA rapidly fell by the wayside with. Leaving BASC coaches to be the only organisation to have independently assessed and varified accreditation.

Once again we have a situation where we are squabbling and dividing , which as we all know does no good what so ever.

Currently, I think that possibly every training course that the CPSA offer is not good value for money. Certainly since the days of 'The Academy ' the standards are very poor. Sadly when coaching was run and organised by a coaching committee comprising regional coaches , HQ, thought that they could do a better job and disbanded the regional committees.

History now proves HQ to have made a grave mistake.

I respect your views on matters Salopian but I would like clarification of what you mean by your comment above.  Are you saying that basically all CPSA Instructors/Coaches are not worth bothering with?  Are you saying their training is not rigorous enough, that it is too easy?     What is the grave mistake - to state this there must be a consequence to what you deem to be inadequate - what is that consequence?   I am not being argumentative just interested in what seems a sweeping comment to a lay person.

Sian,

I stand to be corrected but I think Peter's reference to the 'grave mistake' refers to HQs decision to remove the coaching committee, which led to training standards falling.

Personally, I don't think that 'you' can generalise and say that CPSA coaches are not worth bothering with.  The standard of a coach is not always purely down to the base training that he/she received.  The individual coach may well set his own high standards and be a natural teacher.

This is a different matter to the courses not being value for money.  Value for money can be judged in many ways and a large part of what people perceive as value for money is subjective.  If standards have fallen in the training given that is an issue that must be addressed for the safety of students going forward.

PhilS,

Very well said.

Sian, the curriculum is poor not the people attending .

As Phil so rightly said , you can attend a training course and learn very little if you already have that knowledge, but just because you come away with a certificate does not instantly make you an instructor or a coach, the courses are very much like an apprenticeship, only once you have the 'papers' can you learn your trade , and that comes with experience.

Thank you for your clarification which I have no argument with as I know little that can be deemed acceptable to make judgement. I totally agree that someone can be a natural teacher despite what anyone tries to teach them to gain a certificate.  It is sensible for common Joe to have paperwork to be able to teach as they cannot fall back on the multitude of awards others may have gained shooting in high status competitions - although again this does not always mean you can teach what you are able to do yourself.  Swings and roundabouts!  

In any teaching environment there will be excellent teachers, satisfactory teachers and sub standard teachers - I am sure the CPSA is no different in this respect to any other institution.

'you can attend a training course and learn very little if you already have that knowledge, but just because you come away with a certificate does not instantly make you an instructor or a coach, the courses are very much like an apprenticeship, only once you have the 'papers' can you learn your trade , and that comes with experience'

Most of the Best Coaches do not have any CPSA paperwork..

'you can attend a training course and learn very little if you already have that knowledge, but just because you come away with a certificate does not instantly make you an instructor or a coach, the courses are very much like an apprenticeship, only once you have the 'papers' can you learn your trade , and that comes with experience'

Most of the Best Coaches do not have any CPSA paperwork..
Granted that is true but they do usually have some other form of "proof" that they have experience and ability at least although not necessarily teaching skills.    Ordinary folk who want to teach need to start off somewhere in order that a complete novice can at least see they have some sort of training.   

I get the feeling recently that it is bash a CPSA instructor/coach because "all the best coaches don't need paperwork" that I keep hearing over and over like a stuck record.   Well in most jobs these days you need some sort of certification, granted it does not make you necessarily any good at that job but you still need it - so no different for shooting instruction.

I am feeling a tad irritated now with this subject and so bid farewell - no offence Chubby I still love you.xxxx

Sian I think the issue is that if the good coaches don't deem the qualification as valuable or necessary then why should we the paying client deem it so? There are good and bad in every vocation, others seem far more active in promoting their qualification to both the coaches and the clients. Working in the construction industry you need a piece of paper to walk around on site.

Latest posts

Back