shot size

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

I think this has been talked about before but I need clarification :) What is the perceived correct size of shot for OT and UT... note I said size not number as I buy French cartridges which are I believe different to English sizing so I use 2.4mm shot which is number 7.5 here, 8 is 2.2mm . Now nearly everybody uses 2.4mm but I have seen people use 2.2mm for the first tube and 2.4 for the second... make any sense?

Fosse Universelle

2.06 After having been shot, the length of the cartridge can must not be more than 70mm. The cartridge load must not exceed 28 grams of lead, with an allowance of +/- 0,5 grams.

The leads will be spherical, with a maximum diameter of 2.5 mm, with an allowance of + 0,1 mm.

The use of black powder is forbidden, as well as tracer cartridges or reload cartridges in international competitions.

8's will work fine for at least the 1st barrel.  24gm / 28gm loads seem to pattern denser than bigger charges but that is just eyeball data.  I have little doubt that 8's will break 2nd barrel targets as well.  I used to shoot with a dude that used 8's in both barrels for flyers and it didn't seem to handicap him a bit.  I can consistently break 27yd ATA targets w/ 8's that that would be a certain 50-55yd target for me.

or make your life simple like me and just use 2.4's for everything -                        worry?  fugedaboudit

To be honest I have a high first barrel hit ratio using 2.4mm , probably like most trap shooters, but the thought that using 2.2mm for the first barrel might nick a few of the ones that are getting away appeals to me ... I just don't know that it works out that way :)

I always stick to 7 1/2 s (2.4)for going away targets, but if you want to see some real dust try a box of 6 s, they realy do the buisness.....

To be honest I have a high first barrel hit ratio using 2.4mm , probably like most trap shooters, but the thought that using 2.2mm for the first barrel might nick a few of the ones that are getting away appeals to me ... I just don't know that it works out that way :)
Neil Winston is currently putting together a compilation of the massive studies that he has done.  I'm sure what he has will answer that question.  My gut feeling says it won't make any difference in the #'s but the slightly denser patterns may make the hits look more impressive.

Get some 8's and try them so you can see how they work for you.  If you like the results buy more.  If you don't, don't.  

Back