Winter Gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GazzerG

Anyone have one of these? I've told the missus everyone has one ;)

Only been actively shooting since Feb this year and had a few guns along the way already. I've eventually settled on a new 686E Evo, which I'm loving. I'm starting to feel a bit paranoid about taking it out in the bad weather this winter, not so much the mechanics more the wood.

I want to keep active practising, so I was going to go and get myself a cheapo synthetic semi to take out on the days when you know the rain just aint stopping. Would rather go shooting with a plastic banger than be paranoid on every stand...

Anyone else have that 2nd gun for such occasions?

Don't waste your money on another gun that will probably handle completely differently to your 686 and therefore have a bad effect on your shooting.

A modern, well maintained gun isn't going to suffer from getting wet. Keep a roll of kitchen paper in your bag and wipe the gun dry as soon as you get back in the clubhouse. Keep your wet gun out of your gunslip as much as possible and when you get home take the gun apart, dry it again and then let it dry in a warm, not hot, place for a couple of hours. After that clean it etc .

Don't forget to dry the gunslip !

Vic.

Vics advice is probably correct.....however I'm also guilty of having a bad weather gun.

My main gun is 692 which is the most expensive thing have ever bought myself apart from cars and houses, and the thought of getting it soaked through makes me shiver.

I also have A400 Xcel which I don't mind getting wet and if there's any chance of a bit of weather on a Sunday morning I take this instead. I find it feels very similar to my 692 in many respects although that could just be my relatively inexperience hands.

Having said all that I do believe that having one gun and using it all the time is the quickest way to succes.

Good advice above but yes I am also guilty I use my std 10 if shooting with no covers but only when it doesn't matter as in not registered. But it's a great excuse for a new gun so tell the Mrs we all have to have one and your looking like an arse by not having a spare one. Job done.

If shooting a junk gun is suitable for bad weather why would you bother shooting anything else at any time?  Makes no sense to me.  A well cared for gun is not a concern in any weather.

JMO of course

and I've fortunately never needed an excuse for another gun    :preved:

I understand your concern for a new gun gazzer, and I`d say an identical fitting gun is what you need,, so buy another 686, and wax it up, take the stock/forend off, shove in the oven at 60c , use barbour wax, bee`s wax, boiled linseed, whatever you fancy,,,and coat over all the bits you cannot normally see.one for summer, one for winter,,

personally , I wouldn't bother, if it gets wet,, dry it off. if its a set of new spanners, a new car, or anything else, you dry it off. no different for a gun,, better to buy 5000 carts to shoot thro` a wet gun,,,than buy a spare gun?

What Jim said.
Buy another one the same and "make" it your winter gun. And your missus may not notice you have two!

Totally pointless, just take care of your decent gun! If raining hard, spray a light coat of oil over the whole thing, when you are done wipe down and re oil and place in dry gun slip! Never hard any problems with my DT10s and I shot 4 days in terrible weather at the krieghoff this year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your not helping the bloke he wants a second gun and needs a justifiable reason

true, a justified reason may be,, a 27in barrels for skeet, 28in for a bit of birding, a 30 in for sporting,, and 32 in for trap, etc,,with identical pairs of guns,, if that`s not gonna work,, what about buying a spare stock/forend, and swop for winter? not varnished though,,, or a ghillie to clean up? depends on finance I think,,not everyone shoots a h&h,

Like Wonko, I've never needed "permission" to buy anything. The Household purchases, bills etc are sorted jointly but otherwise my rule is simple, I don't interfere with her purchases and don't expect her to interfere with mine. So my advice probably won't suit you :biggrin:

But the others are right, you won't improve by having a different second gun. Your Beretta will be fine in the wet, I always keep a spare dry slip in the car. Once I've wiped the gun down with a microporous cloth, I pop it into the dry slip. 

ps the Porsche is due for delivery in January  :thumbsup:

I can assure you I need no reason to buy anything Mrs ips has no idea what I am worth I do not discuss money with anyone. Strange but true

I can assure you I need no reason to buy anything Mrs ips has no idea what I am worth I do not discuss money with anyone. Strange but true
My comment was intended for the OP and also meant to be a little tongue in cheek.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input/views guys.

I'm not in the same league as many of you out there, very much just a club shooter happy shooting in the club comps against some very nice people I've met. I can totally understand your views on sticking with the same gun, if I was AA chasing money comps, then I would totally agree. The plastic banger would be for a bit of fun, variety? If the're the right words? It would only really come out on the days any sane person would stay at home.

Having quite a few kids, its only now I am able to 'indulge' myself :) but still feel a bit guilty in doing so

true, a justified reason may be,, a 27in barrels for skeet, 28in for a bit of birding, a 30 in for sporting,, and 32 in for trap, etc,,with identical pairs of guns,, if that`s not gonna work,, what about buying a spare stock/forend, and swop for winter? not varnished though,,, or a ghillie to clean up? depends on finance I think,,not everyone shoots a h&h,
Jim.. I actually got asked last night to go and do some pigeon control shooting.... Definitely not dragging my Evo through the woods, could be a good enough reason ;)

Probably try one and end up hating it .. .

Gazzer, the main thing I'd be concerned about if taking your gun out in the wet stuff is the wood work. Beretta's, especially new guns are notorious for having dry stocks through lack of oiling.

Get some conditioning oil, CCL is good kit, and give the wood work a few good workings. Light coatings are all that's needed and that'll prevent the wood works finish getting white spots, or worst case secenario, swelling!

The metal work will be fine, as long as it's dried and oiled after use. If I get a soaking whilst shooting, the gun is broken down and stored in an open case on a towel in the boot of the car until I get home. Then it'll get dried fully then have its usual after-shoot pamper.

I'd only think about getting a knock about gun for rough shooting. Even then it'd be the same as what I already use the most, if somewhat a bit rougher around the edges.

Same here mate!!! Back in the 80's I told her guns cost £150 and I never told anything since.......she don't ask and I don't say!!

No offence intended my friend just a General comment

regards ian
Au contraire mon ami........ I thought perhaps I'd tweaked a nerve with yourgoodself. 

All sorted, peace and love restored in the valley :biggrin:  

Latest posts

Back