What lense colour?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddmatt

Sooooo

I see a few forumites are off to the desert to shoot at some targets, what would be the best lens colour for a desert landscape?

It's important to wear the colour that you bought most recently and/or paid most for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funnily enough I asked Ed Lyons this very question when he was in the sand last year.

His answer, and in his own words, was "Bloody Dark". Now I recon this must be some technical Opticians term as I've searched the catalogues of Pilla, Oakley, Randolph, Zeiss etc. and none of these list this tint specifically. Perhaps it's trade only?

I think personally I would leave the yellow lenses at home though!  :sarcastic:

Ha! I'll be packing the B D lenses again thats for sure!

I'm a bit light sensitive so i tend to wear a medium to densely saturated tint for most of my shooting, i found the late afternoon sun to be particularly intense so i favoured the Randolph CMT lenses for my shooting specs and the Oakley Double OO red Iridium Polarized for mooching about.

I found that when facing the city, there was a heck of a lot of smog so used a G30 (or Ranger HD/Pilla 42ED equivalent) to give some glare protection but also some enhanced contrast.

ANYONE WITH DRY EYES OR CONTACT LENSES should remember to take spare lenses with them, and a case with fresh solution, as the desert wind can be a swine, especially when the loose sand gets whipped up.

Also, the lovely tent is air conditioned which can also exacerbate a dry eye tendency.

I am taking a bag full....Pilla, Hi Def, Randolf, Oakleys......just in case.... :wink:

(well we don't have to carry cartridges around....so it would be rude not to.....I will need all the help i can get..!!)

I am taking a bag full....Pilla, Hi Def, Randolf, Oakleys......just in case.... :wink:

(well we don't have to carry cartridges around....so it would be rude not to.....I will need all the help i can get..!!)
From the sound of last year everyone will need all the help that they can get!

I think that Rose tinted will be best .

Nothing is any better than a good British shoot, your only going for the weather , the food and to pose!  In my humble opinion of course.

Thought you were busy trying to be a director Sloppy....off you go.....no spoiling of the fun...

Just think......only a few more weeks left...and you will never be able to post seriously on here again....you will get the 'keep off Internet' talk.

Or ....will we have to rename you 'Slidey' so that you can just come on to watch ....like the others do. :laugh:

Now trot along and prepare your answer to the question ....' What actually do you 'think' you 'CAN' do for the ordinary (non-Olympic) shooting member of our Assoc?' Tough one for a first question I know.....but give it your best. :wink:

Last edited:
Nicola,

That's dead easy to answer, but in two parts, (a) stop wasting members money and give the membership value for money with their membership ( B) find and keep sponsors that we can be proud of to sponsor our National events. 

Is that any good for starters?

Nicola,

That's dead easy to answer, but in two parts, (a) stop wasting members money and give the membership value for money with their membership ( B) find and keep sponsors that we can be proud of to sponsor our National events.

Is that any good for starters?
And after the mission statement the plan is??

Its a good contrast lens so useful for picking up detail and blocks 88% of the incident light - as its brown based, its still a bit bright for me, i tend to go for the grey base lenses as they make my eyes fell more relaxed.

What frame do you have?

In total contrast to the OP, I really struggled to see the clays today. Combination of bright low orange light from over my left shoulder and a bloody great snow cloud which came over and turned the lights out. Need a shade of something for the orange light on the orange clays against a browny orange (bracken) background and a lighter shade of my current lens to deal with when the light disappears.

Suggestions?

In total contrast to the OP, I really struggled to see the clays today. Combination of bright low orange light from over my left shoulder and a bloody great snow cloud which came over and turned the lights out. Need a shade of something for the orange light on the orange clays against a browny orange (bracken) background and a lighter shade of my current lens to deal with when the light disappears.

Suggestions?
Move South!

No problems like that down here!    :sarcastic:

I would, but don't think I'd fit in, being British, white, straight and having 10 finger and 10 toes would make me a bit of an outsider  :haha:

I would, but don't think I'd fit in, being British, white, straight and having 10 finger and 10 toes would make me a bit of an outsider :haha:
You have a point. In Devon you would stick out as an oddity.

Latest posts

Back