Big ribs on shotguns

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Gold

Hello,when i have watched clay pigeon shooting on the TV and on youtube some people have a big rib on the gun.Can anyone tell me why this is please?

post-3081-0-05455200-1411194805.jpg

Attachments

• gun.jpg
    gun.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
High rib, usually with a stock to match, allows a more head up shooting position. Favoured by a lot of double trap guys, but some other trap shooters also use them as to some sporting guys these days from what I hear. Head up is supposed to give better peripheral view of the target area, but its a personal thing really!

It is for two reasons.

It affords a more head up position and also gives better vision around the barrels. Predominantly an American trap idea and huge ribs found there way to double trap were early target acquisition is required. Became a fad a few years ago but never really took off for anything other than double trap although many find them beneficial for dtl, me included. The benefits for any discipline other than the above is negligible and indeed most people who try them seem to go back to flat rib eventually. They require a different method than flat rib and imo unless you can master the technique there is little if any benefit.

True. Some people use them to good effect at all disciplines however they were primarily evolved for trap, earlier versions were classed as a stepped rib. The first one i saw was in mid 80s it was a browning from mid to late 70s and was i believe an American trap (ATA) gun.

See a lot of high and half high ribbed guns down here used in UT . I don't know why they are popular could be the French desire for chic kit ? Is it possible that a higher ribbed gun would lead to less head lifting by the shooter? What ever the reason there are some who use them to very good effect, I am not tempted ... I think it is more to do with fashion.

Chubby is correct they do offer a very comfortable and more natural head position and certainly also help with avoiding any head lifting. The problem i found with trap at anything but dtl is the early target acquisition CAN Cause a too early gun movement but i expect this depends on ones style.

I see a great many shooters down here who have a high gun hold so I can see why the higher rib would aid the target acquisition side of things. I however have a low gun hold, bead about level with or just slightly above the edge of the fosse so I suspect I would have to change my setup for a high rib to work for me? Anyway doing alright with a flat rib although I do lose targets through head lifting, when I keep my discipline and concentrate on not doing so I am shooting 23's and 24's so reluctant to change much to get the extra one but never say never!

There was a group who turned up at a local shoot and they all had the latest high-rib guns with adjustable skeleton stocks, all spray painted etc.

Shooting in front of us there is a stand in some woods with a pair of very floppy orange crossers, they all made a mess out of it (they were all rifle-shooting) then watched me straight it and then started asking me about my gun and what cartridges I use, so I told them then I politely made the point that to a certain extent that it doesn't matter about the gun, carts etc but if you don't move your gun and put lead in the right place then you won't hit anything.

I think they had all been caught up in the latest fashion and it wasn't working.

I don't mean to sound big-headed and I'm no George Digweed but I know that gun movement is critical.

Latest posts

Back