Hello from the East Midlands

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carol

Hello everyone - my name is carol becks - went on a shotgun experience day with my gf Jackie using a groupon voucher and we enjoyed it - grateful for any advice on what to do next - kisses carol

Hello Carol,

Welcome and enjoy.  Do you have your licence yet or planning to get one?   You could have more lessons whilst you decide.  Its a great activity, very addictive.

Hello, Carol. Welcome to ShootClay.

Generally, until you have a shotgun licence of your own you'll need to shoot under instruction or supervision by someone who does.

You could twist the arm of someone you know who shoots to take you out. You could get some private lessons at your local shooting ground, which would probably be better because a proper instructor will make shooting more fun and can help you to break clays. Not everyone who owns a gun can teach! Nor will their gun necessarily be right for you. You could come to a Shotgun & Chelsea Bun Club event where ladies shoot under instruction and have tea and cake afterwards. Guns are provided. http://shotgunandchelseabunclub.co.uk/events/. Or you could apply for your own shotgun licence and buy a gun from cold. 

I did the CPSA shotgun skills course to start off with. That was a good introduction to the basics and my friends were able to take me out without worrying I was going to point a gun at them.

Where abouts in the East Midlands are you? I shoot sometimes in Northamptonshire or the South of Leicestershire and know a few ladies I do a little practice with occasionally.

Thanks Sian and Liz, were from Nottingham, I'm sure we'll get there in the end - we will probably visit a few clay shooting grounds to begin with and see how the land lies and use our helplessness to get some pointers, seems quite a male dominated sport. We were the only 2 women there on our experience day

Welcome Carol! Don't worry, there are lots of women in this game, a lot of them can shoot most of us blokes into the floor too! 

thanks Les xx long way to go before i get that good xx i was happy to hit just 2 clays with 25 shots xx hell of a kick in the shoulder tho xx quite bruised

thanks Les xx long way to go before i get that good xx i was happy to hit just 2 clays with 25 shots xx hell of a kick in the shoulder tho xx quite bruised
Carol, it won't always be like that! Once you learn how to mount the gun properly in the right place all the time, you will find that much of the recoil is taken by your hands and arms. Best to get some lessons with a good coach, oh and avoid lightweight guns too! 

as ive said Les we will probably visit a few clay shooting grounds to begin with to get some pointers.  like the bit about the recoil being taken on the hands and arms, reminds me of something else, better not go there might get banned ..

as ive said Les we will probably visit a few clay shooting grounds to begin with to get some pointers.  like the bit about the recoil being taken on the hands and arms, reminds me of something else, better not go there might get banned ..
Takes quite a lot to get banned on here Carol!!!! Once you have been to a few grounds, decide which one has the coach you prefer and keep having lessons. Most grounds have a coach or two and they will show you how to do things properly and avoid much of the discomfort that can be felt by a novice.  :biggrin:

Welcome, 

Go to the CPSA website  www.cpsa.co.uk  plenty of grounds around the Nottingham area, call em up and as advised get some lessons in, join a club. It will also help towards your future application.   :biggrin:

Thanks Sian and Liz, were from Nottingham, I'm sure we'll get there in the end - we will probably visit a few clay shooting grounds to begin with and see how the land lies and use our helplessness to get some pointers, seems quite a male dominated sport. We were the only 2 women there on our experience day
Just 5% of shotgun licence holders are women. 

There's a S&CBC event near you at Cockett Farm on the 22nd November. DM me and I'll give you a token for £5 off each. http://shotgunandchelseabunclub.co.uk/events/cockett-farm-2/. I do think that instruction is the best way to get started, either this way or private lessons at your local shooting ground. 

Hi Carol welcome aboard  :hi: enjoy your visits to the forum and hope you enjoy and continue with our great sport 

Latest posts

Back