laser eye surgery

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

has any shooter using this site had laser eye correction .?    I was told I need intronocular lenses fitted to achieve 20/20  or better . im only interested in distance for shooting  ,   too expensive  so I passed .    is your master eye the same after surgery . ?     excuse  poor spelling  & grammar  .  

There are a few of us on here that have had laser/corrective eye surgery done. Its the best decission i have ever made for my vision in general not just for shooting and would think the others would say the same.

No difference for master eye/eye domination for me.

Agreed - best decision I ever made.

Went from not being able to read the first letter on the chart without my glasses on, to reading the whole chart 24 hours later.

I see the clay significantly earlier than my wife who previously had always mocked me!

Also fixed my night blindness (which I didn't even know I had!).

Best money I ever spent

P

I had the Ultralase Lasik procedure carried out in 2000 on both eyes. Best thing I've ever spent money on.

Not laser eye surgery but i've had eye surgery!

I have a condition called Keratoconus which in basic terms means my cornea is thinning and going cone shaped instead of nice and curved. I was diagnosed at 19 and im now almost 26.

I wear a contact lens in my right eye which is my dominent eye and i've had a corneal graft (transplant) in my left eye. Contact lens doesnt bother me too much but can be a pain at times and can be even worse if it plays up whilst im shooting. A shame because i can wear glasses for my left eye but only have a blank lens in for the right due to wearing a contact lens.

Still, i dont let it put a downer on my shooting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about that Will,sure i was long sighted(+ in the sphere part of the prescription) and just had the lasik treatment done.

Had laser surgery in the 90's, best thing ever, as far as shooting is concerned. My right eye is perfect and the left eye 95%. I was right master eye, which has remained the same after surgery. I now need reading glasses for reading and close up stuff such as fly tying, but I can live with that. I too see the clays quicker than my Wife, but that is more to do with her stopping at home !

Refractive surgery has come a long way over the last ten years and i see far fewer people that have post-op complications - Will is correct that it is typically easier to obtain a good result with low to moderate levels of shortsightedness.

For more complicated prescriptions, the intra-ocular lens implant system can be a viable option

Refractive surgery has come a long way over the last ten years and i see far fewer people that have post-op complications - Will is correct that it is typically easier to obtain a good result with low to moderate levels of shortsightedness.

For more complicated prescriptions, the intra-ocular lens implant system can be a viable option
About 10 years ago I developed cataracts in both eyes.

I was a -5 short sight ( bottle bottom lenses) prescription.

I had lens implants. It corrected my vision to perfect left eye one less power to right eye.

So I have mainted my left master eye as I am a lefty.

A machine measures and makes the calculation for what lense to fit.

It can set your eyes however you want.

I was told at the time that if laser surgery was used prior to the cataract discovery that the machine could not make the calculation.

The lens power would be approximate.

This was 10 years ago so things may have changed.

Fantastic opp. 10 mins per eye. No issues only reading glasses which come to us all anyway.

sorry to hear that mate , sounds complex ,  do you see well , dose it affect your shooting ,  

When i have no lens in or glasses on, the best way to describe is like looking through a pair of bino's that aren't focused, very blurry and a lot of ghosting.

With my glasses on and lens in i have pretty much 20/20 vision so no imparement when it comes to shooting :)

Not me but Mrs (-6.25 both eyes) is today going for a fourth procedure as neither she nor Optical Express were happy with the original procedure(s).

Yes it's been a revelation for her vision wise but not without a few problems, I'll be sleeping with a delicate / agitated / short tempered welder (the protective glasses) again tonight

I had mine done about 8 years ago after 40 year+ wearing specs.

It took me almost 3 years to pluck up the courage to go for it, and an awful lot of research.

In the end I went to a clinic in London ( PM me if you want to know which one) that looked like they had all the latest equipment.

They also spent a long time explaining exactly what the levels of treatment were and how it all worked.

As I was getting to the stage where I also needed reading glasses, I went for their blended treatment, which effectively tuned one eye for reading the other for distance.

The results were amazing, the aftercare was also fantastic.

Then a few years later I started shooting.

Big problem.

After about a year of shooting at a local club with some mates, and not hitting very much, I had a lesson.

The first thing checked was eye dominance, and I was right eye dominant.

But I'm a left hander, shooting of my left shoulder.

I tried change to right hand, but it didn't work for me.

Then just over a year ago, I went to see Ed Lyons.

I now have a couple of pairs of Oakley Crossfires with prescription lenses which not only make everything at 40 yards crystal clear, but the tints also help me see coloured clays a bit better - I am also red/green colour blind.

Latest posts

Back