open chokes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

hang on  don't go bitter , I know every issue about chokes has been covered , but last sunday  I shot orston with  quarter / three eights . surprised me , breaks were ok .  my question is  what decent shooters use open chokes / what shell   and do they ever win  comps ?

I'd be genuinely interested in this too. Obviously zillions of people shoot quarter at everything but are there any regular names out there who do ?

As a trappie i have only ever used three quarter full so interested to know what the actual difference is in size to quarter and three quarter at lets say 30 yds ?

Ha, at least mate.

I like to get things going :)

I shoot DTL 99% of the time - I used to shoot with a Muller U2 & a U4 in my browning - my best score was 100/297 but only in practice. Since changing to a Blaser I've shot with 1/2 & Full & Im now trying 1/4 & 1/2 the 1/4 is quite tight as is the 1/2 - I'm not a top shot by any standard but I've won my my Class a few times - I often wonder if/when I miss with my first shot the clay has passed through the pattern.

I'm also intrigued to hear from some of the "Top Shots".

Bloke I was with today said he'd take 100 chips over 99 dusts every time.

I had a clay through the pattern today, I thought I'd missed but the other bloke said the clay was centred in the pattern but went unharmed on L5 skeet, I was just using up some 28g, 7.5, fibre through a U0, so not too bothered but makes you think. I already know my gun doesn't like Clever fibre carts but I'm sick of these carts hanging around my cart store down to the last 25 now thank heavens.

I've mentioned Neil Winston several times in ref to patterning/chokes.  If you search his name at trapshooters.com you'll find a number of threads pertaining to same.  I've asked him several times to compile all his work and he says it's in process.  So, if you're really interested in data-based analysis of chokes and patterns ........................  he's done the work, the real thing, not guesswork.

He does note that less than half-choke will open holes in patterns that are big enough for targets to fly thru - unpredictably of course.

I'd qualify that w/ a thot but I don't wanna get involved

Last edited by a moderator:

I had a clay through the pattern today, I thought I'd missed but the other bloke said the clay was centred in the pattern but went unharmed on L5 skeet, I was just using up some 28g, 7.5, fibre through a U0, so not too bothered but makes you think. I already know my gun doesn't like Clever fibre carts but I'm sick of these carts hanging around my cart store down to the last 25 now thank heavens.
Bullsh*t!!! You missed, if the clay was 'centred in the pattern' it would have broke...

You never get something for nothing .

Opening your chokes  / pattern  may very well gain you the occasional clay, just remember that you are sacrificing core density.

We all strive to 'centre ' our shot pattern on the clay, but be aware that an edge on clay can slip through a sparse pattern.

We all strive for perfection, so we must do the practice and training and find what suits us best.

If it is of any help, statistics show that the most efficient choke constriction is half choke .

It is my belief that modern cartridges are very efficient and do tend to be a little centre dense, so we must all evaluate which choke constriction and cartridge combination suits us individually.

It begs the question how he saw the pattern being centred around the clay, kind of a hard if not impossible thing to do with the precision needed to say the clay was in the middle of it ! Having said that logic says firing fibre 7.5's through the most open choke at an edge on clay will at some point lead to misses through sparseness of pellets.

Regarding taking 99 chips…………so would I but unfortunately chips are a sign of misses to come so 99 on the trot just doesn't happen whereas 95 near smokes and a few hard breaks are not that uncommon. Personally I have nearly always erred on the side of tight because real life shooting just somehow seems to make you end up there hence why I'm interested to know if there are any truly good shots who rely on sparse patterns.

hang on  don't go bitter , I know every issue about chokes has been covered , but last sunday  I shot orston with  quarter / three eights . surprised me , breaks were ok .  my question is  what decent shooters use open chokes / what shell   and do they ever win  comps ?
If you used f-blacks your patterns were probably closer to 3/8 and 1/2. Try it with skeet and 1/4 next time you will get just as good kills.

:fie:  There is not a clay thrown in regular competitions that 3/8 choke will not kill well! :hunter:

Well its all a function of pattern diameter and shot string length at the given distance is it not? I think it "may" have been mentioned in some previous debates that choke and the subsequent pattern thrown by it is a three dimensional dilemma that is the bugbear of the sporting hmm .. shot :)

edit

But surely you cannot debate the choke without taking the shot string into account !

Well its all a function of pattern diameter and shot string length at the given distance is it not? I think it "may" have been mentioned in some previous debates that choke and the subsequent pattern thrown by it is a three dimensional dilemma that is the bugbear of the sporting hmm .. shot :)

edit

But surely you cannot debate the choke without taking the shot string into account !
Stop talking pish!!!! It's all about putting the shot where the clay is going.

Boy oh boy you guys take yourselves sooooooooo seriously . get over yourselves don't you know when someone is on a fish'n trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caught a gobby mouthed flounder today though YE HAAAAAAAAAAAAA !

I think of rifle as a single point in space whereas shotgun is chucking something the size and shape of a dustbin through the air.

Agree using 7.5 fibre through 28" back-bored barrels & cylinder chokes at skeet is a silly idea but I was just just trying to clear space for the 2k Remingtons I'm collecting today (might double that as there's only 6k left at the supplier). It isn't the first time I've had inexplicable non-breaks called by a very experienced shooter/coach standing next to me with that combination, I know that some very experienced shooters & coaches can see the shot string, apparently its like a pencil line. Anyway once I change to the Remingtons I was breaking everything until the high house trap went on strike.

I think of rifle as a single point in space whereas shotgun is chucking something the size and shape of a dustbin through the air.

Agree using 7.5 fibre through 28" back-bored barrels & cylinder chokes at skeet is a silly idea but I was just just trying to clear space for the 2k Remingtons I'm collecting today (might double that as there's only 6k left at the supplier). It isn't the first time I've had inexplicable non-breaks called by a very experienced shooter/coach standing next to me with that combination, I know that some very experienced shooters & coaches can see the shot string, apparently its like a pencil line. Anyway once I change to the Remingtons I was breaking everything until the high house trap went on strike.
Oh no! you didn't just mention Backbored implying that it is relevant did you? I think this will go a lot longer now!

tiroVesti seamless performance clothing.

Latest posts

Back