ABT tomorrow !

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V8 90

I'm shooting ABT - the Lincolnshire County Champs at Beverly tomorrow - I've only shot it once as part of this years AR before - any tips/pointers

This is difficult to answer without knowing how you shoot.

give us a clue are you sporting shot or dtl ?

do you adopt a naturally high gun hold or shoot off the mark ?

I shoot DTL - low gun hold 1&5 - 2,3,4 high -

Ok now we have a starting point.

use the same method re hold point this will work better at bev than a high hold as because its abt thrown from a trench the hard angled targets exit very wide of the centre mark so peripheral vision needs to be wide and low.

Do not check your barrel after mount keep your focus point.

do not try to shoot the blur look for the front edge of the target this will give you better focus lock onto it and will give time for the target to be seen as a full in focus object not just a blur.

the target speed at abt is now same as ot so the hard angles and the high straight will require a split second more time on the swing in order to catch it so try not to rush the shot you have more time than you think but do not try and aim at it as this will slow you down, see the front edge correctly and shoot were your eyes are looking instinctively.

firm ish cheek pressure on comb to avoid lifting head and leaving the gun behind and a light ish grip on the forend.

relax, stay calm

do not be tempted to change everything after a miss unless its obviously not working

you will miss its inevitable stay calm only think about the next target do not dwell on a miss or you will miss again.

stay calm, relax but above all enjoy it and good luck.

report back tommorow please.

Thanks for the tips - I'll let you know how it went tomorrow night

Well that was different !! Ok (ish) on 2,3,4 but struggled with 1 & 5 tried different hold points but didn't seem to make much difference - worse if anything - wasn't keen on the marking either !! Managed 18-17-17-16. It's a lot faster than DTL . !!

There not bad scores for a first or second go mate. I warned you about 1 and 5 the target appears very wide of the mark on all pegs but particularly notable on 1 and 5. You did right to try different hold points and focus points only experience will tell you what works for you. As i say your scores were credible so well done.

Most important thing is did you enjoy it ?

Yes - in a strange way . - I prefer DTL though ! bit more in my comfort zone ;)

I understand,

The format of trap takes a bit of getting used to. Dtl shooters are used to and indeed expect high scores, inevitable misses are difficult to come to terms with until you realise everyone else is missing as well. Also the reffing bit is daunting for the unfamliar.

Well done for having a go.

V8

Well done for having a go.

Stick with for a few weeks and you will begin to wonder what you ever saw in DTL.

Yes you will will miss some (cos they are fast) but when it all comes together it's awesome

As for the scoring/reffing, well it fills the time and you get to watch some top shooters in action.

Stick with it mate.

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
What Greg said.

Re the reffing, you can learn an awful lot in 20 mins of reffing you see why shooters miss because your watching so intently.

We need more new blood in abt and other fast trap, do it its the future.

When I scored for the second time I was more relaxed & watched the squad shoot more - like DTL they all had their own style/take on it. I'll give it another go once the County Championships are over at the end of Sept ;)

Beverly have an ABT winter series running from early October - I might alternate week about with DTL & see how it goes !!

Trust me if you get into abt you will forget all about dtl.

Trust me if you get into abt you will forget all about dtl.
Tru dat!

Funnily enough I was talking to a well known DTL shooter yesterday and he was telling me he had finally seen the light and will concentrate on ABT / UT next year having become bored/disheartened with DTL.

DT

Well Well Well - I've just found out I made the Lincolnshire ABT team for the inter-counties comp at Nottingham & District Gun club in late October - now I HAVE to practise !! But not until after the inter-counties DTL in 2 weeks time :) :)

So good you posted twice !! Thought I was surprised !!

So what is the criteria for a county team place, selection shoot process or just a team put together. I ask because i don't remember Lancs having a team for many years.

Latest posts

Back