To bend or not to bend

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curious2

Had a session on the pattern plate with a respected coach and found that I am shooting almost 12 inches left of centre at 16 yards.The reason is I don't fully put the but tight into the shoulder pocket, but as my mount is consistent the recommendation is to put a further one eighth of an inch cast on the stock. I am and the gun is right handed. No eye dominance issues.

Im not that keen to have the stock bent as I understand they often creep back. Questions are :

Is an eighth of an inch a lot of bend ?

Could I achieve the same by having an adjustable comb fitted ?

Which is preferable bending the stock or fitting an adjustable comb for lateral movement.

Your thoughts appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Speak to a gunsmith. They can sometimes alter the stock where it meets the action, to put an angle on.

1/8th inch isnt much in real terms  but for a stock  i couldnt say

what the cost of  bending vs an adjustable comb or  isis adjustable pad

Adjustable comb or pad can be set and adjusted as required.. 

what happens if its not the stock?

BTW what gun is it

:santa:

1/8th inch isnt much in real terms  but for a stock  i couldnt say

what the cost of  bending vs an adjustable comb or  isis adjustable pad

Adjustable comb or pad can be set and adjusted as required.. 

what happens if its not the stock?

BTW what gun is it

:santa:
Beretta 692

As said before, go see a smith! If the comb is quite wide he may just be able to shave some wood from the face side of the stock and wont cost very much.

Without wishing to state the obvious why not practice mounting it correctly ?

If you have anything done to the stock and then at a later date change your mount for the better you could be in a worse position.

Ps

i doubt an eighth of an inch will rectify 12" out at 16yds as that degree off centre at that distance is huge. Sounds to me more like you are pulling the shot off line.

My gun was a poor fit for a few years. I didn't shoot off line, I just looked a bit awkward lining myself up.

Had a session on the pattern plate with a respected coach and found that I am shooting almost 12 inches left of centre at 16 yards.The reason is I don't fully put the but tight into the shoulder pocket, but as my mount is consistent the recommendation is to put a further one eighth of an inch cast on the stock. I am and the gun is right handed. No eye dominance issues.

Im not that keen to have the stock bent as I understand they often creep back. Questions are :

Is an eighth of an inch a lot of bend ?

Could I achieve the same by having an adjustable comb fitted ?

Which is preferable bending the stock or fitting an adjustable comb for lateral movement.

Your thoughts appreciated

OK, so to help things along, we should probably throw some maths at this.

For a 30 or 32 inch gun, with 9 inches from your eye, to the breech face:

A 12 inch error in POI at 16 yards, means your gun is a little over 20mm to the right of your eye...not 1/8th of an inch (3mm).

So assuming that this hugely obvious misalignment, has not been over looked...then it isn't that...or not just that.

You say there is no eye dominance issue, and so do the measurements.

If you were fully dominant in the left eye, then you would be around 3 feet off centre (assuming a pupillary distance of 67mm).

So, although your mount is a bit off, the gun appears to line up about right under your eye.  So the error must come from the other eye.

Your comb is probably slightly too low, compounded by your awkward mount and when you shoot (not when testing), you are having a middle vision view of the gun and as such, are off line.

Or, the details you have provided are not accurate.

There is no way eighth of an inch will cure this and imo no way your gun is that far out of fit. The problem is somewhere else.

Shooting at a stationary object is not easy, a going away dtl type target will tell you more about gun fit.

I notice that there is mention of the stock not being consistently put fully into the shoulder. I have to ask why is that and where is the stock going? If the eye is not down the middle of the rib consistently then altering the gun is just compensating for a poor gun mount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for your responses. I can shoot a down the line target reasonably well and did so on the day immediately before going on the plate. I don't have a problem with springing teal by shooting straight at them. In view of your comments I'm beginning to think the session on the pattern plate produced a one off result that is not representative of my normal sporting set up. I'm averaging 74% at sporting which is not great but surely would not be possible if I were regulaly 12 inches out at 16 yards. This is why I was thinking it might be a good idea to try an adjustable comb to straighten myself out on the plate rather than bending the stock. But the plan now is to go back to the plate sometime and see if the strange results repeat themselves as it seems to be at odds with my general shooting experience.

I have said it before but i will say it again. The clue is in the name, Pattern plate for checking pattern. Setting or checking poi on a plate does not take into account the dynamics of gun swing, we do not shoot at stationary objects. Imo pattern plate usage for anything to do with gun fit or poi CAN have a detrimental effect or to put it another way "mess with your head" as this case has proven. I do not concur with whoever told you eighth of an inch will rectify your issue as the math does not work. A straight dtl target or similar is imo the ONLY way to set up poi. Find a ground with a trap who will lock it off for You shoot 25 and get someone to watch your kill quality if your consistently taking the left edge off a target (for instance) then your gun is shooting left of centre either because of gun fit or incorrect mount or of course rubbish barrels which is rare but not unknown.

I have said it before but i will say it again. The clue is in the name, Pattern plate for checking pattern. Setting or checking poi on a plate does not take into account the dynamics of gun swing, we do not shoot at stationary objects. Imo pattern plate usage for anything to do with gun fit or poi CAN have a detrimental effect or to put it another way "mess with your head" as this case has proven. I do not concur with whoever told you eighth of an inch will rectify your issue as the math does not work. A straight dtl target or similar is imo the ONLY way to set up poi. Find a ground with a trap who will lock it off for You shoot 25 and get someone to watch your kill quality if your consistently taking the left edge off a target (for instance) then your gun is shooting left of centre either because of gun fit or incorrect mount or of course rubbish barrels which is rare but not unknown.
Now that sounds like a better plan....... Many thanks IPS.

Your welcome my friend, trust me on this it is the best way.

There is no way eighth of an inch will cure this and imo no way your gun is that far out of fit. The problem is somewhere else.

Shooting at a stationary object is not easy, a going away dtl type target will tell you more about gun fit.
+1 on that, set up a nice lazy going away target, start off by standing close, then gradually move back (2 paces at a time) you will find the range where you are off line. Make a note of that distance, then try different fixes ( raising comb etc )

Speak to someone who really has a proven record in gun fitting as plenty of people claim to do this, but only a few can do it properly

Back