Olympic Trap - Scoring System

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

Whilst doing my turn on the scoring duties at Beverley last weekend I was watching one of the shooters who had a different shooting style to almost everyone else. He was moving even before calling for the target and used two shots on almost every target. I reckon almost 85% of his hits were second barrel kills but he wasn't doing bad at all really (20s, 21s, 22s), but not great either.

Anyway it got me thinking what if Olympic Trap was scored like DTL ? Any thoughts?

Apologies if it's been discussed before. 

Ooh jay mate were good for 6 pages with this.

personally I like kills to count but only cos I am cack at dtl.

Whilst doing my turn on the scoring duties at Beverley last weekend I was watching one of the shooters who had a different shooting style to almost everyone else. He was moving even before calling for the target and used two shots on almost every target. I reckon almost 85% of his hits were second barrel kills but he wasn't doing bad at all really (20s, 21s, 22s), but not great either.

Anyway it got me thinking what if Olympic Trap was scored like DTL ? Any thoughts?

Apologies if it's been discussed before.
Big thumbs up from me...!

Discussed this with people before....it would change the landscape massively.

Of course it won't happen officially as it is an ISSF owned game.....but if it was run in the UK...it would help identify talent who were 1st barrel kills ....and that could point to a strong person in a single barrel final.

Of course...take a cartridge away (as in the finals) and it is a whole different game.

Jay

Was watching Ed Ling shot UT at the weekend and his gun is moving when he calls for the target. Starts low on the roof, slowly raises the barrel and calls for target when the bead hits the front edge of the roof. That's what it looked like anyway.

As for the DTL scoring for OT ( or any other discipline for that matter) No! Just No! A kill is a kill is a kill. The prospect of being beaten by someone that actually hit less targets than me is just plain wrong. I would rather the powers that be change it to a single barrel discipline.

And besides, Michael Diamond would never win anything ever again!

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an advocate of a moving gun i believe it makes for a smoother transition of swing and negates a jerky start but of course it goes against the general opinion of don't move till the target appears but i was always a maverick.

Edit

it doesn't need to be a moving barell it can be any part of the mount that is still ongoing. It can work well but is fraught with problems if target release is delayed, pros and cons !

The points thing is fine in a game where not missing is the object.

Using first barrel kills to break a tie might be semi-acceptable but points alone sux

Actually, just leave the two-barrel games the fook alone.  You want something different , make a new game.

Not that long ago we talked about that moving barrel being a Ruski thing.  I may have to try that again sometime.  Maybe.

I'm with Wonko, kills to count originated from the live pigeon scoring where it couldn't be defined which barrel caused the kill. OT was developed to simulate live pigeon release and is fine the way it is.

I am an advocate of a moving gun i believe it makes for a smoother transition of swing and negates a jerky start but of course it goes against the general opinion of don't move till the target appears but i was always a maverick.
Edit
it doesn't need to be a moving barell it can be any part of the mount that is still ongoing. It can work well but is fraught with problems if target release is delayed, pros and cons !
Fully agree. Some sort of movement or start immediately after getting ready gives a much more smooth swing. I think this is depended on muscle type. I always used to do weights at the gym and that game me explosiveness. So I cant start when I m still without jumping

I'm with Wonko, kills to count originated from the live pigeon scoring where it couldn't be defined which barrel caused the kill. OT was developed to simulate live pigeon release and is fine the way it is
I'm with you Fred!

Jay

Was watching Ed Ling shot UT at the weekend and his gun is moving when he calls for the target. Starts low on the roof, slowly raises the barrel and calls for target when the bead hits the front edge of the roof. That's what it looked like anyway.

As for the DTL scoring for OT ( or any other discipline for that matter) No! Just No! A kill is a kill is a kill. The prospect of being beaten by someone that actually hit less targets than me is just plain wrong. I would rather the powers that be change it to a single barrel discipline.

And besides, Michael Diamond would never win anything ever again!

DT
The movement I was watching appeared much less controlled than Ed's shooting style, anyway it doesn't matter.

I too prefer it as a kills only game, but just wondered what the general consensus was amongst fellow trappies that's all.

Latest posts

Back