Southern Counties Dorset.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garry2749

Just to let you all know planning permission to change Southern Counties to a solar farm is now available to view

on Dorset Council web site.

Sad to see such a top ground go to another solar farm.We shot the last Double Trap today and what a laugh we all

had.That is one hard discipline.Big respect to you guys that shoot that at a high level.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started my registered shooting career at the old Blandford & District Gun Club under Bob Browning and Ken Sackely, it was a wonderfull happy place to shoot! At this time 1968 it was either DTL or ISU skeet nothing else! no sporting till the early 70's.

For someone who shot there for 45+ years the demise of the sporting and fitasc is heartbreaking the best thing to do with it now is a solar farm! :fie:

I understand that the CPSA are setting up a petition on their website. I urge you all to support it. The South West is turning into a shooting desert.

In the shooting world, Southern Counties is known for its special "climate" and being particularly prone to being fog bound, when the surrounding land lower down is clear, as it sits on top of a hill. (The recent 2 day ABT selection being a prime example)

Now forgive me if I'm wrong, but that would seem to me to be a bloody silly place to put a solar panel if you want to optimise your investment in the equipment.

Perhaps the planners never left the comfort of their air conditioned offices while scanning their maps???   :fie:

I for one won't be signing any bloody petition regarding S. Counties period! the place has gone downhill for years, their only interest is money! the shooters mean nothing to them. :fie:

http://webapps.westdorset-dc.gov.uk/PlanningApps/Pages/Planning.aspx?App=WD%2fD%2f14%2f001307

If you want to object to the planning application you have until the 4th July to do so.  Link above should take you to the relevant page on the council's website.  If not, the application number is WD/D/14/001307.

You can search that on West Dorset's website to find it.

Note that whilst you may not have any time for local authority planners (I know I don't) it isn't them that lodges the application or decides if the use is viable. that's down to the owner or whoever is backing the project.  The planners role is just to compare the details of the application to current planning policy and make a decision on it based on that.

I think that clayshooting in the SW is representative of the SW Representative.

I'm backing Cyril, bugger the petition.

What will the petition propose?  

'We the undersigned object to progress...' 

I mean, I get it - I don't want another ground going under - especially in a place where grounds are thin on the, errr.... ground.

I'm just not sure what a petition would do...  now, if the ground and its business made lots of money, and as such was an unattractive proposition for a solar farm... that would be a different matter. 

I'M with Matt. What will it do? It's the ground owner that's making the application and i guess a business decision.

If it had been a third party such as the highway authority wanting to put a motorway through it or the council wanting to force a change of use, then a petition would be a good idea.

I don't know the owner at all or the financial position of the ground, but looking at the entry numbers on a general weekend who's to say it won't close even if planning isn't gained.

Shame to lose it. I liked my trips there. Including the ABT mystery weekend.

I fear admin is correct.

By my reckoning we are now down to 6 at the most reg ot grounds in England and Wales and not many more ut or abt grounds. Worrying is it not ?

Paul

the abt mystery weekends !

Is that the now you just about see it now you don't weekends ?

I for one won't be signing any bloody petition regarding S. Counties period! the place has gone downhill for years, their only interest is money! the shooters mean nothing to them. :fie:
You're right, it's never been a hospitable ground. I've only shot there because selection shoots and major championships were held there and i've no choice.

A shame to see it go I guess, not least because it's one of only a handful of grounds that offer olympic disciplines. Just a shame that it's devoid of any atmosphere.

Any planning application is open to public consultation, which gives any member of the public the opportunity to object to the proposals.  The planning officers employed by the local authority will write a report setting out their professional view and making a recommendation whether or not the application should be approved.  The decision on whether to grant consent or not then rests with elected members of the council.

The more objections, the more twitchy councillors get about granting consent.  They want to get voted in again at the next local elections, and if they piss too many people off that isn't likely.  Objections can make a difference.  Sod the petition, lodge an objection to the planning application straight onto the Council website.  Loss of an important leisure and sporting facility has solid planning grounds for objection.

National Planning Policy Framework paragraphs 28, 73 and 74 look to have some relevance here:

74. Existing open space, sports and recreational buildings and land, including 
playing fields, should not be built on unless:
● an assessment has been undertaken which has clearly shown the open 
space, buildings or land to be surplus to requirements; or
● the loss resulting from the proposed development would be replaced by 
equivalent or better provision in terms of quantity and quality in a suitable 
location; or 
● the development is for alternative sports and recreational provision, the 
needs for which clearly outweigh the loss. 

ROI is key, after years of charging you to salt the mine, the mining has finished and now on to a new venture no doubt subsidised. Wasn't the site originally land fill/ spoil tip?

I fear admin is correct.

By my reckoning we are now down to 6 at the most reg ot grounds in England and Wales and not many more ut or abt grounds. Worrying is it not ?
SW2000, Griffin Lloyd, mid Wales, Fauxdegla..
In Wales ...

Thanks for that Jenny. A sensible, constructive reply.

As for the others - the CPSA are not obliged to do anything at all. I expect the doubters and pessimists would almost prefer it if they did nothing then they could have another moan!

Latest posts

Back